Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Undrave
Canadian Slag
Re: Generations Devastator - More New Images Of Individual Constructicons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
Individual members are very cheaply designed. Sure, there's a lot sculpted detail, I see that. But that doesn't justify the simplistic engineering and in certain examples (Long Haul being the most obviously flawed) there are very lackadaisical decisions to determining appropriate limb proportions. Combined mode looks pretty good still, but overall this set is not enough to sway me from making feel glad I still have TFC Hercules.

That could be the upcoming BAF Hulkbuster from the upcoming wave of Marvel Legends figures, I do believe.
The figure also suffers from a criminal lack or paint, like RID2015 level of paint apps, compared to the excellent use of budget on the Combiner Wars line! For a figure of that price...
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #12
damnu
Generation 2

Yup, the individual bot modes are craps but considered that all of them are at least voyager size and Long Haul is even closer to a leader size figure, something gotta suffer.
They only have the budget for 6 voyagers after all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5975e7ebjw1esmtgcgcizj218g0p4wr0.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	28658  
damnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:21 AM   #13
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnu View Post
Yup, the individual bot modes are craps but considered that all of them are at least voyager size and Long Haul is even closer to a leader size figure, something gotta suffer.
Voyager size but the hollowness is worse than the design and engineering of some deluxe class.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 AM   #14
damnu
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Voyager size but the hollowness is worse than the design and engineering of some deluxe class.
Can't argue with that
Just want to point out one possible cause behind those lackluster bot modes.
damnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:05 AM   #15
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Hasbro at one point outright stated the constructions were essentially scaled up deluxe toys, not proper voyagers. The gestalt mode is clearly the design priority. I have a feeling he is going to be more impressive in-hand. Due to budget, I'm reserved on if he ends up bought... Looking forward to seeing in stores.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:56 AM   #16
joshimus
Metroplex

In all honesty, I kinda dig it. Then again I am a Devestator fan so yeah...sold!
I don't disagree that it could be way better, but I have Green Giant for that.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #17
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Hollowness is brought up a lot these days. This sort of comes back to my Weight = Quality thread. But really, this hollowness is industry standard these days, official and 3P. Some just do a better job of hiding it than others. Leader Jetfire looks like a way worse offender than this Devastator.

I thought Fans Toys addressed the hollowness controversy quite well in the quote below.

Quote:

In recent years, toy designers have suffered criticism for thin plastic and hollowness. Everyone hated it. In fact, in industrial production thin plastic is a necessary step. It not only reduces the amount of plastic material usage, but reduces the shrinkage phenomenon. In shrinkage, excessive contraction takes place when plastic parts that are too thick cool after the injection molding process, which can result in distortion and deformation.

To get past this, in general we can plug two parts of thin plastic together to hide any exposed parts, so the hollowed out part is hidden in the middle. It makes things neat and beautiful, but increases the number of parts, and production and assembly costs. So to reduce costs, some choose to leave the hollow area exposed. When you take into account official products run across tens of thousands to millions of toys, the cost difference can be significant. For the mere thousands in third party runs, it's not a big problem -- and if little effort improves the toy to the satisfaction of the fans, why not?

So for third party toy manufacturers, the cost of raw materials saved for leaving hollow parts exposed is insignificant. We want toys to be playable, and to not use paper-thin or brittle materials so you can have the courage to play with them!
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #18
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnu View Post
They still should have increased the paint budget.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #19
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Hollowness is brought up a lot these days. This sort of comes back to my Weight = Quality thread. But really, this hollowness is industry standard these days, official and 3P. Some just do a better job of hiding it than others. Leader Jetfire looks like a way worse offender than this Devastator.

I thought Fans Toys addressed the hollowness controversy quite well in the quote below.
The hollow parts suck. And It's really just costing cutting. It's not just the softer and thinner plastic, but the ratchet joints and the springs and screws too. I'd be fine if it's a deluxe, but using a single piece of hollow honeycomb part like Generation Leader Jetfire's thighs is just a big pass for me.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #20
CdnCollector420
BladeBot

I'm planning on keeping him in combined mode, and the pics I've seen so far look pretty good. These individual bots look kinda sad though.

My Sales Thread - http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=59169

My Feedback thread - http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=52730
CdnCollector420 is offline   Reply With Quote