Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2022, 01:30 AM   #1
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise
The Price of Eternia

What does everyone think of the MOTU Origins Eternia playset for $810+ shipping and taxes? I was very much onboard for 500ish, but this is almost double what I had imagine.

https://creations.mattel.com/product...-playset-hgw42
Digibasherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #2
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Re: The Price of Eternia

1- That's a lot of money for that.
2- Where would I put it? My collection is out of control as it is!
Old 10-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise

haha, that is very true. I'm currently occupying a whole room in the house and it doesn't always sit well with the Mrs. I haven't even opened Unicron because I don't have room.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #4
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

For a crowd funding (not retail), for what you get the price is not bad when you compare to that little ghost rider car on HasLab. It's insane big.
NightshadeX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:36 PM   #5
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Vote with your wallet. For me, big corporations running crowdfuning is horseshit. And the big increases in prices are a sign that, because of the support such things get, the corp now know the fans will pay through the nose as long as these things tickle the FOMO nostalgia spot just enough.

That's the nature of corps. They'll push and push to try and get more and more out of the customer and deliver as little as they can. And they'll continue to do so as long as it keeps working.

For me, I'm not sticking around while these corps bad-touch me, and I'm certainly not going to pay for it and say thank you.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
Digibasherx
Robot in Disguise

I feel this is a double edge sword too, you either miss out or you give consent for them to up the price every time. Hasbro pretty much priced me out of collecting Marvel Legends, and that MOTU Origins price jump from 15 to 22 dollars was a big turn off. I'm not saying it's not worth 22, but the same figure was shelf warming for 14 shouldn't be selling for 22 all of a sudden.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #7
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Wow, $800+ !!!
At that cost, HeMan will definitely raise his sword and say,

"By the Price of Eternia!"

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:48 AM   #8
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibasherx View Post
I feel this is a double edge sword too, you either miss out or you give consent for them to up the price every time. Hasbro pretty much priced me out of collecting Marvel Legends, and that MOTU Origins price jump from 15 to 22 dollars was a big turn off. I'm not saying it's not worth 22, but the same figure was shelf warming for 14 shouldn't be selling for 22 all of a sudden.
I know it can be tough to risk missing out, but from what I've seen over the years, you miss out but you don't. There's always going to be something bigger and better coming down the line.

For example, combiner wars Voyager Sky Lynx was an incredibly hard find. Could have had one for $60, which was double retail. I passed. Couldn't justify it. Then, a couple years later, Commander class Sky Lynx comes along. Better figure over all.

As for something like Eternia, I probably wouldn't necessarily regret buying it, but after the thrill is gone, I probably wouldn't be doing back flips that I did buy it. It just becomes something big that I have to find space for, and something valuable that I have to now take care of. And over time, I'd probably want to move it along. I have that issue with a massive pile of TFs I've just randomly purchased over the years just because. After a while, you realize when you have too much stuff, it's not you that owns the stuff anymore, the stuff owns you.

Honestly, for that price, I think if I really did want Eternia, I'd instead consider just make one of my own.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 10-07-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #9
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibasherx View Post
What does everyone think of the MOTU Origins Eternia playset for $810+ shipping and taxes? I was very much onboard for 500ish, but this is almost double what I had imagine.

https://creations.mattel.com/product...-playset-hgw42

Unicron was $925 Canadian when all was said and done. That was before covid and inflation. How did you expect that set to be $500? Snake Mountain was $700 USD not taxes, exchange or shipping included.

$500? Please open up a company that makes this stuff but at your prices, I want to shop there.

Last edited by Transbot90210; 11-02-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Transbot90210 is offline   Reply With Quote