Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: The Dark Awakening was a Dark Awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt 127 View Post
It's a pointless episode because they could have just revived Optimus Prime at the Masesoleum when the Hate Plague struck insted
I wrote in my 1st post that's too much of a stretch for the Autobots to revive Prime.
The Quints reviving him is far less stretchy. Hence the Dark Awakening episode to set up this Quint ability.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goji_tron View Post
There was one bothering thing between the connection of Dark Awakening to Hate plague: Optimus was damaged while he was trying to ram a ship into the asteroid, yet in Hate plague, he was good as new and there was no quintesson firing in that scene. What is up with that?
If we consider the difference in animations (poor for Dark Awakening and fantastic for tRoOP), it's easy to accept that any tiny explanation will do to link these 2 eps.

Since Prime's ship was close to the sun, I always accepted that his body got 'fused' back by the heat.

A great explanation? No.
But given the differences in these eps, even a sub-par explanation was enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
I think it's important to note that The Return of Optimus Prime was not originally in the season 3 plan. Dark Awakening was supposed to be the last we were to ever see of Prime as he sacrificed himself one last time to save the Autobots. It was only after seeing how upset the kids were that Hasbro decided to bring him back. But, by then, season 3 (or much of it) had already been produced.

There are two versions of Dark Awakening: The first was during the original syndicated run that did not have the voiceover at the end telling the viewer that Prime would return. The second with the V/O was aired directly before TRoOP (some time had passed between the airing of the rest of season 3 in its entirety and TRoOP).

As for the bit of continuity mess that this caused between the two episodes, it's really best just to let it slide since the writers had painted themselves into a corner (let's face it, he done blowed up real good, no two ways about it), and there was no way to go back and change Dark Awakening to match what would happen later. Besides, they probably figured that the kids would just be happy with their hero back, and not be too worried about the details.
The original run was missed by many as ABC stations running Transformers aired an ABC afterschool special instead. So many fans such as I, only saw the voice-over version. Which I'm kinda happy about as it helps the continuity.

Given the backstory you gave, I think the writers did a great job to start tRoOP just before Prime's ship hit the asteroid and the sun went nova.
I guess they did such an outstanding job, that I never had to question the details.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
justprime
Animated

Quote:
I forgot that this was a set-up to Return of Optimus Prime, I hadn't seen The Return of Optimus Prime in years.

It's a pointless episode because they could have just revived Optimus Prime at the Masesoleum when the Hate Plague struck insted of reviving him, then getting killed only to be revived once more but this time for good.
Not so,... as it took the creators(quints ) to revive Prime( properly Bring him back to life not as a puppet this time) also tying in the fact that they were created by another race as robots (that evolved over time)..... the giving of the matrix by Rodimus not only showed his reluctance at leadership but also showed the hero that Prime was to Him as hotrod (think how you would react to meeting your hero) as seen in the movie when he jumped megatron going for the hidden lazer pistol......... and once again giving the leadership roll over to Prime to solve the plage by releasing the energy of the matrix.....bringing back Optimus in the dark awakening was a good way to make the point that they are robots and can be manipuilated (like anyone) that there can be a dark side even to autobots, the valor of selfsacrifice, and of coarse a return of the beloved leader.I thought this was one of the better stories of season three.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
I forgot that this was a set-up to Return of Optimus Prime, I hadn't seen The Return of Optimus Prime in years.
"Dark Awakening" wasn't originally a prelude to anything. the first time it aired was early in the season, like the 4th or 5th episode. It was meant to to be a final good-bye to Optimus, not a set up to his return.

Quote:
It's a pointless episode because they could have just revived Optimus Prime at the Masesoleum when the Hate Plague struck insted of reviving him, then getting killed only to be revived once more but this time for good.
As stated before, the Autobots couldn't revive him at all. If they could don't you think they would have done it before this? They needed a Quintesson, one of their creators, to do it.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
Goji_tron
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
If we consider the difference in animations (poor for Dark Awakening and fantastic for tRoOP), it's easy to accept that any tiny explanation will do to link these 2 eps.

Since Prime's ship was close to the sun, I always accepted that his body got 'fused' back by the heat.

A great explanation? No.
But given the differences in these eps, even a sub-par explanation was enough for me.

The original run was missed by many as ABC stations running Transformers aired an ABC afterschool special instead. So many fans such as I, only saw the voice-over version. Which I'm kinda happy about as it helps the continuity.

Given the backstory you gave, I think the writers did a great job to start tRoOP just before Prime's ship hit the asteroid and the sun went nova.
I guess they did such an outstanding job, that I never had to question the details.

It is acceptable with the sun theory, but there is still no explanation regarding the quintesson fire though.
Goji_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
prime
Generation 2

I had nightmares for a while after watching this episode.
As a small child, watching the final scene with Optimus with is optic exposed & other parts blown off was the equivalent of seeing a desecrated corpse. Not to mention all the dead bodies at the begining, this had to be the darkest episode ever.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Batman
The Dark Knight

Man, thats too bad you didn't enjoy it. It is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series, mind you season 3 is also my favorite season as well.

Tags
dark awakening, optimus prime, rodimus prime