Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus
The new TMNT figures

Has anyone else gotten a hold of any of the new Ninja Turtle figures? I just picked up the Raphael from the new Nickelodeon series and he's a pretty awesome little figure. Good articulation, insane amounts of sculpted detail and just a generally good design. I also like the rack of extra weapons that he comes with; I'm not sure if I'm ever going to cut any of them off of the sprue, but it's still a nice callback to the original, 1980s figures.

He doesn't actually look much like his TV counterpart, judging by the previews that have been floating around, but since the new show looks like ass I'm not complaining. As it is, while he takes a few cues from the new series in how his pads/bandages are set up, overall he has a very classic Ninja Turtle look and could stand in for any incarnation of the character. The only kind of weird thing about him is that he has three toes instead of the usual two, but you get used to that fairly quickly. I'm definitely going to pick up this guy's brothers next time I go toy-hunting (although I think I'll pass on the rest of the cast; from what I've seen they haven't had nearly as much care put into their toys.)

There's also a new line of "Classic" Turtles out that resemble a cross between the original toys and the 1980s animated character models and appear to have insane amounts of articulation, but I think I'll pass on them. The Nick line has enough articulation and looks enough like the originals to satisfy me, and they're a lot cheaper. Still, it's nice that Playmates is thinking about the older fans, too.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Batman
The Dark Knight
Re: The new TMNT figures

I picked up both the 2012 Turtles and the Classics. All are great figures and great bang for your buck. They are some of the finest toys of 2012.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

I'm really surprised that they did things like giving each turtle a unique mould and bringing back the weapons racks. After having become used to the Hasbro/Transformers philosophy of cutting every corner possible in their toylines it's strange to see a company like Playmates going the extra mile like this.

I doubt anyone would have complained (or even noticed) if the turtles were all slightly redecoed versions of the same toy with only their heads and belts retooled for each one, or if they only included their signature weapons, but Playmates included that extra bit of care and attention anyway, just because they could. Too bad the supporting cast doesn't seem to have gotten that level of attention, but I really only wanted the turtles anyway.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Lingy
Generation 1

I got "Classics" Leonardo last week and I love it, kinda upset I didn't get the rest. I had so many turtle figures when I was a kid, awesome figures !
Lingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
juxtapose519
Robot Master

Both sets of figures are awesome for different reasons. The Classics figures make amazing display pieces for collectors and the Nick figures make for awesome toys to play with. I would strongly recommend getting both if you can stomach the price tags.

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

the classics figures are pure awesome!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
sikkbones
Banned

so when will playmates start giving us fifteen billion variants of the turtles agian? I really really want some new TMNT/star trek crossover figures... "sarcasm"
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

I only wish the "Classic" Turtles were smaller. The large size makes it difficult to display them with my older incarnations in a "Turtles Forever" themed shelf. Also, my Donatello came derpy-eyed. Not too happy about that.

The new turtles are amazing! They main 4 are clearly the best out of both the classics and new series. These rival the Neca turtles in terms of quality. Sadly, you can tell the majority of the funding went into the turtles because the rest of the line sucks. If the figure isn't one of the four main turtles, they will have terrible articulation.
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

Luckily, the turtles don't have the distinctive art style that the new show does, so if they make a decent quality figure for the Shredder, Splinter, etc. later on they'll probably work alongside the 2012 Turtles without seeming out of place.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Beechy
The Veteran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessKnight View Post
Also, my Donatello came derpy-eyed. Not too happy about that.

POST A PIC MAN!!!!
Beechy is offline   Reply With Quote