Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-25-2022, 07:27 PM   #1
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions
Keeping only original toys or keeping CHUG/WFC

So I'm someone who grew up with G1 Transformers. There's obviously a lot of nostalgia and memories in those old TFs but man, they really are mostly bricks... and often super fragile. I do love some of their play features though.

Now with studio series and earthrise and what not, I'm seriously considering selling whatever G1 toys I have. The modern ones are more durable and more fun to play with my kids. I mean seriously, compare G1 Scorponok to WFC Earthrise. Yes, we're missing an action feature and some accessories but it looks so much better.

Then again I really like Pretenders and it seems like we'll never get to those.

Has anyone else done that? Sold all their G1 toys to focus on a modern collection?
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:34 PM   #2
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Keeping only original toys or keeping CHUG/WFC

Get some middle-era stuff like the later Unicron Trilogy toys and you can get decent articulation and action features!
Old 09-25-2022, 09:23 PM   #3
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

For originals there are a lot of reissues from the last 20 years. They would do fine as replacements for your originals as they get more and more fragile/broken.

Or yeah, the modern stuff that updates the original G1 toys/characters is also great.

The reality is that it will become a bigger, and bigger, issue as the years march on. It is happening with both MOTU and ARAH GI Joe figures. The MOTU figures are degrading to the point where the inner bands are breaking down and the legs/feet no longer hold the figures up properly. For GI Joe there is the usual O-ring degradation, but that can be fixed with a new O-ring. However there have been years of broken thumbs, and now more and more reports of ankles/feet breaking, or cracking so that the figure is basically useless.

The reality is that the plastic in the 80s toys was never meant to last, and we are now 40+ years on from the original releases for some of them. They are going to keep degrading, and the G1 figures especially with the mix of metal, plastic, and clear plastic windows are going to suffer the same fate. So I am sticking with reissues for the G1 toys I really want.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:32 AM   #4
NightshadeX
Robot Master

I meant ditching all g1 figures, whether originals or reissues, and sticking with newer toys for the same characters. I already replaced any original 80s g1 figure with reissues as they came out if I already had it, like when the Takara encore series was more frequent.

And yes I really liked the unicorn trilogy toys but I sold them for lack of space years ago. I basically have just a few lines of toys now and the big ones are G1 and CHUG. And I feel like ditching G1 in favour of CHUG. Which almost feels sacrilegious like nobody does that. Bigger bloggers like Sixo and Max people post pics of how great something like g1 Superion is. But I always think these days “really? I had it since I was a kid and it’s a gangly mess.”
Old 09-26-2022, 07:43 AM   #5
BeeTrain
Beasty

For me, the newer releases have motivated me to go back and expand my G1 collection. I started just making sure I had copies of all the G1's I had as a kid. (I guess I never forgave my mom for the infamous garage sale!) Now, I've gone to having much of 84-85 toy line with a mix of originals and reissues. Because of WFC and Legacy, I am inspired to pick up additional G1's. Got an original G1 Hubcap over the weekend which I would never have considered before.
BeeTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
RansakWORK
Beast Machine

Im a G1 fan that has no G1 toys anymore lol. WFC line got me back into transformers because they finally released a series of toys that represent the original toys visually and it was affordable (where MP was not for me).

I find it hard to believe now that i was such a fan of the toys as a kid seeing as they are fairly clunky and blocky and lot of times dont represent the animated character.
RansakWORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #7
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTrain View Post
For me, the newer releases have motivated me to go back and expand my G1 collection
Was gonna post yesterday, but this is honestly where I fall in
Been getting old combiners since CW fired me up, watching Headmasters cause of TR - new line figs are prompting me to re-assess wanting some of the old G1s

I imagine probably won't bother going "full G1" collection - don't give a flying f*ck about, say, Roadbuster - but I've been replacing some of my old G1s that are too busted up from childhood (Snaptrap etc)

I've got all six of the old Monster Pretenders; some a bit sun bleached, and the GPS on Slog has him missing a slice from one of his ribs
Also those weird arm connector ports that are literally just sheaths, with no "give" to them (like the standard G1 combiner connector ports have) have it so that both the arm guys are "stuck" on Slog, and I don't dare attempt to remove them (Bristleback is completely intact, if loose in the rear legs)
Man I would kill for some new versions of these guys, they got sentimental value for me, even though when I was a kid I remember thinking they were dinky lil sh*ts "what, THESE are supposed to be transformers" etc

Should really get a Dinoking (HA)
Though I'd settle for the KO (HA)
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #8
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

Don't do it man... I think you'll regret it
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #9
steamwhistle
Crossover

I think I would miss my G1s if I sold them.

My target collection is G1s through the movie and a bit of Season 3 (if a bot had an Earthy alt-mode), and then all of those same characters in a more MP-ish offering.

Have you both version out on display and available to play with? Maybe pack the G1s away for six weeks and see how much you miss them. Then swap out and pack the CHUGs for 6 six and get a gauge for how you feel about them all. Which you missed more, or if you missed both significantly enough to want to keep them all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
NightshadeX
Robot Master

I guess I really am the crazy one. Unlike BeeTrain and evenstaves, buying the new toys makes me want to sell my old G1 ones, not keep them.

To others' questions, I have all my TFs in shelves in the same room, whether G1 or CHUG/WFC or MP. But the only ones I regularly take out are CHUG/WFC and MP. Sometimes my son wanted to play with me with a couple of G1 like Star Convoy or God Ginrai, but mostly we just play with the CHUG ones and he takes out some sometimes and I take out some sometimes, put them back, etc. But the G1 is just kind of sitting there these days...