Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #2891
predahank
Storing is hoarding
Re: ToysRUs.ca Transformers Sightings and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
MSRP is $130? I know it's 4 deluxes and Deluxe MSRP is $35 so that is "fair" but jeebus, TRU can screw right off with their pricing even before we address the insanity of their availability issues and decrepit, non-functional website. I was mildly interested in Goldbug and Ransack but not that interested.
deluxes are actually $45 now at tru!?!
so i guess 130/4 is less rapey
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #2892
Banshee
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
As long as you don?t compare how much Target or Pulse is selling it for.
Banshee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:18 PM   #2893
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
As long as you don?t compare how much Target or Pulse is selling it for
Copied from my old Target run thread:

-> Buzzworthy BB CreaturesCollide 4-pack
(79.91 USD total w tax) -> (102.11 CAD)
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #2894
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Copied from my old Target run thread:

-> Buzzworthy BB CreaturesCollide 4-pack
(79.91 USD total w tax) -> (102.11 CAD)
I guess tru pricing is not a good barometer for anything these days (lego, legends, joes, tfs etc)
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #2895
The Nemesis
Alternator

TRU's gone insane. Basic pricing strategy and product differentiation is like 1st year business degree material. You can't just demand people pay more for the same thing and expect that's going to do anything but hurt you. Especially not when your selection and availability is garbage and your website is unreliable nonsense. They are offering no incentive for people to shop at their store besides the occasional product they have that's an exclusive (and I'm not just talking Transformers.)

I haven't bought a TF from TRU since the Ark and the WFC Rodimus Prime and both of those were only because I had coupons that made them like 20-25% off the regular price (which at the time was pretty much in line with the norms everywhere else.)
Old 09-27-2022, 07:46 PM   #2896
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

Old 09-27-2022, 09:03 PM   #2897
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
TRU's gone insane. Basic pricing strategy and product differentiation is like 1st year business degree material. You can't just demand people pay more for the same thing and expect that's going to do anything but hurt you. Especially not when your selection and availability is garbage and your website is unreliable nonsense. They are offering no incentive for people to shop at their store besides the occasional product they have that's an exclusive (and I'm not just talking Transformers.)

I haven't bought a TF from TRU since the Ark and the WFC Rodimus Prime and both of those were only because I had coupons that made them like 20-25% off the regular price (which at the time was pretty much in line with the norms everywhere else.)
I remember being so happy TRU Canada survived after the US TRU went into bankruptcy. Now it's so sad to see how far they have fallen and that might mean they disappear..
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #2898
Killjoy
Generation 1

Quote:
Pulse is no bargain. $77 + $30 shipping + Canadian taxes + exchange. I paid $197 CDN for Worlds Collide and $23 Perceptor.

Buy TRU if you see it and want it.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:14 AM   #2899
The Nemesis
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightshadeX View Post
I remember being so happy TRU Canada survived after the US TRU went into bankruptcy. Now it's so sad to see how far they have fallen and that might mean they disappear..

I used to go to TRU almost more regularly than Walmart for TFs and would routinely shop there at Christmas every year because they offered a good variety of things to get for an assortment of people in my family with varied tastes (video games, board games, nerf guns, action figures, plush animals, even basic sports equipment). Their "Animal Alley" section for plush used to be amazing and filled with almost anything you could want in massive shelves that reached like 6 or 7 feet high. Last time I was in I went by there just to see and the plush section is a tiny 4 1/2 island shelf with little plastic bins and they have nothing but those egg shaped squishy Ty things with the giant eyes, reversible sequin pillows, branded stuff like Fortnite and Frozen, and maybe a couple of bins of basic bears that are way overpriced for their size. Once for like $20 I got a huge cuddly black bear that was possibly the most well-received gift I gave that christmas. now for the same price I could have a tiny 6-inch Minecraft thing that looks like it's made of carpet upholstery.

and I've been in maybe 2 or 3 times in the last several months and not only is the TF section getting moved around away from the front of the store, it's also getting squeezed by other brands and even with less real estate is struggling to keep its shelf-space full. Last time in they had the whole TF marked section filled with the same Jurassic Park/World T-Rex figure that filled the entire Jurassic Park/World marked section (no, it's not the Collaborative Transformer) and had maybe 10 Transformers figures on an unmarked island end-cap, most of which were from lines that were at least 2 years old (like old Bayverse SS figures or early Cyberverse)

It's kind of depressing to see how they've fallen to the point that they think their only strategy to compete is something so obviously backwards that it has almost no shot at NOT seriously hurting them even worse than they already are.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #2900
RansakWORK
Beasty

TRU does seem to make weird decisions. I walked into TRU in Calgary yesterday and first thing i saw was a swastika, little unexpected for a kids store. The context though is that they are trying to sell more graphic novels and they had a lot of copies of Spiegelman's Maus which is a must read and great book imo. Again just little weird to walk into TRU and see a swastika at the store entrance, even on a book lol.

Was wondering what parents were thinking if they didnt know what the book was.
RansakWORK is offline   Reply With Quote