Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #51
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus
Re: Adult Lego Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post

Anyone ever heard of BRICKWARS?
I've read through it in the past, but never got much farther than that.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #52
Commandoclone87
Seeker

I'll admit it. While Lego is definitely miles ahead in quality of individual pieces, MegaBloks does have some really good pricing. I'm at the point now, where I can't afford Lego bricks in the quantity that I need, so I'll pickup a MegaBloks set or two to fill out the needed pieces.

That said, there are still some pieces that are unique to MegaBloks that I really like such as the cockpit canopies, missiles and fuel pods from the fighter jets that the sold a few years ago. (I had gotten an F-15 Eagle one for my birthday and still have it intact.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Yeah, its really all about quality for them, and along with just about everything else (even price since they don't need to be cheapos) Lego, they do it damn impressively. Best toy in the world I'd still say, even above Transformers. *hides*

... however, I've got Megablocked mixed into everything, and the 2x4 pieces aren't that bad. Like, the smaller ones are pretty much unusable for strength, but I was always able to work around that, somehow hah.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #53
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

I've been noticing with some Megablocks sets, especially the licensed ones, there tend to be few standard pieces, and mostly pieces unique to that set. They seem more like a snap together brick model than a building set.

Once Lego makes a new part, they do what they can to use it in other sets for years to come.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #54
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
I'll admit it. While Lego is definitely miles ahead in quality of individual pieces, MegaBloks does have some really good pricing. I'm at the point now, where I can't afford Lego bricks in the quantity that I need, so I'll pickup a MegaBloks set or two to fill out the needed pieces.
Mega Bloks has GREAT pricing, even in a place like TRU where pricing is at it's peak across the board (Be it a Walmart/Zellers/ect), big kits sometimes retail MAX $39.99. I completed a majority of the Power Rangers Samurai line and didn't have to break the bank to do it.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #55
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Mega Bloks has GREAT pricing, even in a place like TRU where pricing is at it's peak across the board (Be it a Walmart/Zellers/ect), big kits sometimes retail MAX $39.99. I completed a majority of the Power Rangers Samurai line and didn't have to break the bank to do it.
Hear ya on that! Actually, I plan to pick up another one or two of their Probuilder series Longbow Helicopters. Retails at $29.99 for over 500 pieces at the Zellers here and I get another 10% off because of my Student Price Card.

Actually planning to use them once I have a sufficent piece count to build a massive starship.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #56
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

I guess it's time I get in on this.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #57
Protoman
The Legend

Power Rangers Samurai / Shinkenger Mega Bloks Collection (What is out thus far)

Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #58
Protoman
The Legend

More.

Complete set of Mega Bloks Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger aka Ninja Storm

Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #59
Quantum
Uh-huh.

I'm wondering how many people who are complaining about the clutch and selection of pieces of Mega Bloks have actually put together a Mega Bloks set in the last three years? The sets aren't about giant molded pieces anymore, they are true builds with lots of standard pieces now, and to be honest, the builds are a lot sturdier than Lego builds (in my experience). As for the lead paint comment, MB is Canadian, so I doubt very much this is true. The quality of their stuff is top notch.

Lego definitely has the time and experience on their side, and are really the top of the game, but MBs are catching up. And this is where the pricing comes in. Lego can charge more cause they've been around longer. MB pricing is super-reasonable, even on their flagship series, the Halo stuff.

I like Lego, and don't think anything less of anyone for collecting them, but wish that people would stop judging MB on how their sets were years ago. This is not to say that you won't run across a problem here or there, but the QC isn't any more prevalent than with other toy lines. And for the record, I collect only Mega Bloks, because they're affordable and I can't stand the Lego mini-figs. This is really where MB shines. Here's a custom I did, showing how awesome the mini figs are (you're going to love this one Proto!). I did add extra articulation, so the figs don't come with the bicep and thigh swivels, but other than that, it's a modded standard figure (used to be a Series 1 Black Spider-man, and an old style MB Leonardo).

Last edited by Quantum; 06-20-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #60
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Yeah, MB minifigs are awesome. I can't argue there.

I remember hearing rumours about the paint used rather than the plastic containing lead. But that was just before the big "lead scare" that affected pretty much every toy.

I honestly find more "wow" factor in most MB sets lately. Lego, on the other hand, seems to be hit or miss. But now they're playing hardball, acquiring licenses (Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Disney, Prince of Persia, Spongebob, LotR, etc.) because MB started that war, and it really boosted them.

Still, Lego's got the quality.

If they got some sort of MechWarrior (or other similar franchise) license, and pursued it seriously, I wonder what MB's reaction would look like. Then again, MB seems more likely to pursue that sort of thing. Lego would still like to steer clear of stuff based entirely on war and combat.

Last edited by Shepp; 06-20-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote