Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Anyone ever break something of yours and not apologise for it?

Something happened two nights ago that got me thinking. See this Hawkman figure here:

Reduced 69%

480 x 640 (75.83K)

It's from the Superman/Batman: Public Enemies line. It looks pretty solid and sturdy doesn't it? Well it is, until you get up to the wings on his helmet.

The other night my wife was playing with one of our cats and in doing so caused the cat to bump the display unit that Hawkman is perched atop pretty hard making it fall and breaking the little wings into several small pieces.
It took about 45 minutes of searching for said pieces and having me glower at ther the whole time for her to finally accept responsibility for what happened and apologise, which is something she usually has a hard time doing.

I'm fairly confident that with judicious use of super glue I can repair it. You see, this is not the first time he has been broken thusly.

A while back some friends of ours were over with their young daughter, she was 2 or 3 at the time I think, and as she was coming down the stairs, which is where the display stand is next to, she accidentally bumped it and Hawkman broke.

Of course I don't blame the little girl, or anybody really, it was an accident. But I thought it would have been nice if they had at least apologised for it. They knew it had broken, and though I kept my dis-pleasure in check, I'm sure that they could tell that I wasn't happy about it. But they just carried on as if nothing happened, even laughed about it a little.

It just makde me think that maybe the fact that it was a "toy" made them care less about it. I'm pretty sure if it had been a piece of my wife's china it would have been a different story. There would have been profuse apologies and likely attempts at recompense.
But considering that it is a part of the huge display in my little man cave; that should have indicated some level of importance to it.

I didn't want them to pay for it, or attempt to repair it, but a simple "Oh shit! Sorry!" would have been nice.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Anyone ever break something of yours and not apologise for it?

Honestly, when it's an accident, it's an accident. But it's more so when someone messes with your stuff and breaks it. I have my Transformers behind glasses doors, if someone opens it up, takes G1 Laserbeak and breaks his wing off, your dead. A friend's brother did just that, and I made the fucker not only buy me another one, but a CARDED G1 one with Frenzy.

Sure part of you might think I am an ass, but when you come into my house and start touching my shit without even ASKING, let alone 30 year old fragile toys....... I am going to rape your wallet..... and hell your girlfriend while i'm at it.

Long story short........ dude didn't even say sorry, more like "Don't worry, we can fix it!".

Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

In elementary school my brother was allowed to bring books from home into class to read, and he asked to bring one of mine. I lent it to him without problem, but did ask that he be careful not to damage the cover, because the art on the cover of these four books fit together to make a "poster" of sorts.

Well, he gave it back to me, cover was all crumpled. He said he put a binder into his desk and didn't remember the book was in there and it crumpled the cover.

I asked him to buy me a new one, and he did, without me having to force the issue, because he knew I had warned him to take care of it, and it was his fault completely.

He still brings that episode up to prove that I'm a jerk, but I think of it more as proof of how mature and responsible he was to accept it was his fault.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Beechy
The Veteran.

Do hearts count?
Beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I don't think you should blame your wife. You have a fragile collectable perched on a shelf that is well within the normal living space of your joint dwelling. It is just begging to be knocked.

You to move your collection to another space where it will not be fucked with. THEN you can get mad at someone who breaks something.

And yeah, people have knocked over stuff and broken it. I assume they said sorry, but I can't remember.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
chuchupika
Generation 1

How about mother putting comic books on the basement floor without asking. The drains couldn't handle the water from the flash storm. Flooded basement = flooded you know what.

No apology. Pretend it was not her fault.
chuchupika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

This concerns me a lot with having bookcases as my shelving and no doors on them. I feel like hanging curtains on them or something to prevent accidental knockdowns. But then I couldn't see what's in them.. Thankfully they aren't in a main traffic area of the house.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Commandoclone87
Seeker

That is why I used the straps that came with my shelves to secure them to the wall. No wobbling shelf, figures less likely to fall over. (On top of that, I do the wobble test to check their balance.)
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
sikkbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchupika View Post
How about mother putting comic books on the basement floor without asking. The drains couldn't handle the water from the flash storm. Flooded basement = flooded you know what.

No apology. Pretend it was not her fault.
3000 dollars in hard to find lps .. the basement flooded... you know the sleves might have been toast but the records themselves might have been fine..... but nope out to the trash they go.... thanks mom.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Quantum
Uh-huh.

My wife and son have broken a couple of my things by bumping them. I wasn't mad about them breaking the stuff, I was pissed that neither said sorry. It's a little thing, but important confirmation that they respect me and my stuff.

Ultimately though, at the end of the day, they're just toys, so I wasn't pissed for long.