Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Sam
Banned
IDW MTMTE #15 (SPOILERS)

So has anyone else been reading this filth?

They just killed off Ultra Magnus. I think I'm done with these craptastic books, they've gotten progressively worse since IDW started. Each year they go more and more downhill.

Frankly I'm really tired of terrible writing and the obvious plot lines. There's no twists, there's no turns, nothing.

The entire issue was given away 2 or 3 months ago when they showed off the cover. And RID is no better, it just keeps going downhill as well.

Lord I miss the days of actual good TF comics like War Within and the rest of the Dreamwave stuff.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Woundave
Generation 2
Re: IDW MTMTE #15 (SPOILERS)

lol no twists or turns. whatever.

like im sure you totally predicted everything that has happened in RID and MTMTE before you read the issues.

Both comics are top notch - Ultra Magnus might not be dead, and the dreamwave stuff. meh- to each their own i guess. But these comics are some of the best comics going right now.
Woundave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundave View Post
lol no twists or turns. whatever.

like im sure you totally predicted everything that has happened in RID and MTMTE before you read the issues.

Both comics are top notch - Ultra Magnus might not be dead, and the dreamwave stuff. meh- to each their own i guess. But these comics are some of the best comics going right now.
Really? You can read can't you? The cover was shown in previews like 3 months ago, right on the cover, BAM Ultra Magnus dying. then in the book, look what happens, OMG He's getting killed.

Yeah their plots are very predictable, Tell me you didn't see Prowl being controlled in some fashion by the Decepticons in RID?

The art, sure top notch, the writing, worse than when IDW started and that was pretty terrible.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Blitzwing
Armada

Are you crazy? MTMTE is the best written Transformers comic EVER. Issue #15 was awesome. Ultra Magnus probably isn't even dead, since he's on the cover of Issue #17. Plus, that part of the story only took up 2 pages, there was so much else going on. The scene at the end with Chromedome and Rewind was amazing.

The characters are easily the most well rounded characters that have appeared in Transformers fiction.

It boggles my mind that people would consider DW being anywhere near as good as MTMTE.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Sam
Banned

See it boggles my mind anyone can see this as good. I think the only thing this issue is good enough for is toilet paper.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Woundave
Generation 2

A) Ultra Magnus might not be fully dead - we dont know yet. he was dying- not dead.

If the comics as a whole have been completely predictable- did you KNOW that the unnamed Senator from Shadowplay was Shockwave?

i mean, i could go on and on, but in the end i think its ridiculous to say that MTMTE and RID are filth. getting butthurt cause Ultra Magnus may or may not be dead is also silly IMO, people die, so do transformers, why is character death in a comic such a hangup for people?

rather than just calling it filth- what would you consider the hallmarks of a good tf comic to be? Why do you rate the dreamwave run so high?
Woundave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

I have to agree. I didn't care for it. Why? Too much too fast. I'm sure they will explain a little more in the next issue, but you have to admit the cover with Magnus punched through was pretty pretentious. Spoiled the whole thing. Then Overlords big escape is weak at best. Way too much happens off panel and those that are "dead" are never really dead.

I'm sure Braibstorms Meta Bomb will loop hole the whole thing.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundave View Post
A) Ultra Magnus might not be fully dead - we dont know yet. he was dying- not dead.

If the comics as a whole have been completely predictable- did you KNOW that the unnamed Senator from Shadowplay was Shockwave?

i mean, i could go on and on, but in the end i think its ridiculous to say that MTMTE and RID are filth. getting butthurt cause Ultra Magnus may or may not be dead is also silly IMO, people die, so do transformers, why is character death in a comic such a hangup for people?

rather than just calling it filth- what would you consider the hallmarks of a good tf comic to be? Why do you rate the dreamwave run so high?
I have no problem with character death, good understandable character death that makes sense, random acts of killing characters (Which is all IDW has done since they got the license) is stupid.

I also have a problem with taking overrated characters like Overlord and using them as tools to implement said poor character deaths.

But to answer your question about Shockwave, yeah I didn't know that, but that's changing his entire background to something that was simply ridiculous to begin with.

Megatron's return, saw that coming a mile away. Prowl being controlled by the decepticons, that too. I'll admit I didn't think it was bombshell, but I did think it was a decepticon.

MTMTE hasn't necessarily been as predictable, but the stories have been far worse.

Now to the second thing you asked me, what do I think makes a good TF Comic? Well to start with, War Within was amazing, as much as I dislike what Simon Furman wrote in the 80's I think his work on War Within was amazing.

I also really enjoyed the direction the G1 Main title was going in DW before it dissolved and went the way of the dinosaurs.

Too me the book should be about the war between the Autobots and Decepticons. I'm not interested in some poorly written storyline about a so-called post war story. As long as there are Decepticons craving power there will be a war.

Having Optimus just up and drop his title and leave was also bad. Optimus would never abandon the Autobots when they needed him the most and if any time they needed him, it was then, when the war was supposidly at an end.

So yeah, IMO this stuff we've gotten has been poorly written and poorly executed. It's only saving grace is the art and even then on RID it hasn't been great.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Blitzwing
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I have to agree. I didn't care for it. Why? Too much too fast. I'm sure they will explain a little more in the next issue, but you have to admit the cover with Magnus punched through was pretty pretentious. Spoiled the whole thing. Then Overlords big escape is weak at best. Way too much happens off panel and those that are "dead" are never really dead.

I'm sure Braibstorms Meta Bomb will loop hole the whole thing.
Well, as for the pacing, the whole issue only took place over about an hour of time. But the issue itself was jam-packed with action. It's not like it read fast.

I'm not getting why so many readers think that the Magnus thing spoiled the issue? If he's even dead, his was only the third most important death in the issue. Rewind and Overlord's final scene was way more important. And what a return for Fort Max!

I guess if you don't want spoilers on your covers, IDW can always find Pat Lee and have him draw random pinup posters where the Transformer looks like a marshmellow and is not even in the issue.

Also, the Meta-bomb was hilarious. I'm wondering if Swerve will continue to break the 4th wall from now on. I highly doubt it will be used as any type of loop hole.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Sam
Banned

Ultra Magnus was the most important death in the issue.