Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night
Re: will preregistration payment be accepted by anything other than money order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
Would this be convenient and awesome? yes. Practical to implement for an entire convention? No...

As much as I would like to have the ease of paying with my credit card or paypal, I totally get the organizers point on this one. thankfully I get 12 free money orders a year from my bank!!
I got to agree with CyberMnky. TFCon is one of the best parts of the year for me.
So I really don't care what I have to do to register.

Plus it beats a fax machine

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Nemesis Predaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
EnragedCoconut
Machine War
Re: will preregistration payment be accepted by anything other than money order?

I've never paid with a money order. They're a huge pain in the ass to get. I've always just asked what the cost would be for paypal or credit card and they've sent it to me. I'd rather pay the extra than spend my valuable time and energy dealing with a *shudder* bank.

HC
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

The problem with PayPal is someone can come to the convention, pick up the toy, then turn around and tell PayPal they never received it. This is why PayPal will not be an option.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
Phalanx
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnragedCoconut View Post
(...)
I'd rather pay the extra than spend my valuable time and energy dealing with a *shudder* bank.
(...)
Well, there's always the post office...
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Money order costs $7.50 at most banks, and I think around $5-6 at Money Mart or Western Union.

Interac EMT (Email Money Transfer) is also an option, all the major 5 banks offer it now. It costs only $1.50 to send (I checked each bank), regardless of the amount. The limit will of course depend on your bank account limit.

How it works: Both users have an email associated to a particular bank account. The sender wants to initiate an EMT to a the recipient. Typically, the sender enters in their email associated to their EMT. They get the receiver's email associated to the the receiver's own bank account and enter it in. The receiver just needs to give a password to the recipient in order to get the funds instantaneously.

As soon as the funds are sent, the sender can't pull any of that Paypal did not receive bullshit.

Something to consider, since this method is cheaper and faster than money order (which usually takes 5-7 business days to clear, and might even bounce). Only the sender pays the $1.50 CDN fee, the receiver has no fees at all.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

^ This is definitely something to look into moving forward, but details as how to track what payment is coming from who etc will still need to tested out. So right now the only option will be money order for prereg.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

The sender can just send the email with the following:

Name:
Password:
Amount sent:

I don't think this method is as messy as physical envelopes, just a separated folder for EMT payment emails.

The EMTs last about a month before expiring (I believe the funds go back to the sender).
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #18
Cliffjumper69
primebein's rival
Cliffjumper69's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Cliffjumper69

Id love to got with the EMT, but if we need M.Os I do it that way

CJ
Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #19
Phalanx
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
Money order costs $7.50 at most banks, and I think around $5-6 at Money Mart or Western Union.
(...)
And Canada Post charges $5.50...
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Good to know. Do you need to bring cash or can you purchase through a credit/debit card?

Last edited by Dark Rage; 05-09-2010 at 12:36 AM.