Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #471
SMOG
zombicon
Re: The Montreal/Quebec Local Fans Banter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
You forgot HFTD Seaspray!
I thought of him, but didn't mention him because a lot of folks disqualify Seaspray due to his "movie style". I'm fine with him being my classics Seaspray though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelement24x View Post
So far Brawn and beachcomber can be substituted by the ROTF line. Cosmos saw a universe release, but its pretty pricy. Seaspray, as mentioned got a HTFD release. The one's we are still missing but have 3rd party releases is huffer, soon to be Pipes and Gears, etc.
ROTF Beachcomber is not bad, but that Brawn is wayyyy too far off to work for me. Seaspray is acceptably classics though.

My advice is to wait for a proper-sized Pipes and Huffer from iGear (or someone else). It will happen, mark my words.

Quote:
Here's a list of stuff that didnt recieve hasbro nor 3rd party toys. Blitswing, trypticon (i wouldnt change him anyday), fort max, metroplex, tailgate, devcon, skylinx, predaking, steeljaw, ramhorn, slugfest, eject, rewind, sharkticon and most combiners .
Aren't we getting Steeljaw and Ramhorn in the FOC sub-line?

zmog
SMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #472
xelement24x
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
Aren't we getting Steeljaw and Ramhorn in the FOC sub-line?
Oddly enough we are only getting ramhorn from foc. They replaced steeljaw with something called thunder? Not sure where the hell takara pulled that out of Maybe its a clever way to say blaster is stealing some "thunder" away from soundwave...

EDIT: actually you are right! he comes with blaster forgot about him lol, wonder when hasbro is releasing that bad boy.

Last edited by xelement24x; 11-24-2012 at 09:36 AM.
xelement24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #473
catimus prime
Mini-Con

I'm new here, so I'll start by telling you guys my TF fandom story.

You can say that I'm a second-hand transformers fan. I'm too young to have watched the G1 cartoon, but one of my older sisters was and I inherited Astrotrain from her. I don't know how much time it took me to figure out what the figure did as it was (probably) just handed to me without explanation. Oddly enough, I never watched the G1 cartoon, but I watched the shit out of my sister's old Challenge of the Gobots VHS tape. Eventually I understood that Astrotrain was similar to the Guardians and Renegades and I thought it was awesome. I think eventually I caught the G2 cartoon (I vividly remember the CYBERNET SPACE CUBE and not much else) on YTV or Fox or something. Later at bazaar sales at the church across the street from my house I got a hold of some great 80s hand-me-down toys including some Ghostbuster with Ecto-1, Trypticon and Jetfire! I could tell Trypticon was missing some pieces and Jetfire only had one arm, but they were HUGE and AWESOME! Later, on a trip to Daytona Beach with the family, I got three parts of G2 Bruticus : Brawl*, Swindle and Blastoff. I could see on their cards that they formed Bruticus, but as we came back home to Montréal, I persuaded myself that I'd never complete him - and never did because those were my final G1/G2 toys.

Enter Beast Wars. By the time BW started, I'd developed an attention span and was capable of understanding a television show. I loved Beast Wars. We didn't have cable though so the only times I could watch it was when I went to my grand-mother's and friends' houses so I never could really follow the story. Luckily, my dad worked for a video distributor so I got the first Beast Wars tape (with the 4 or 5 first episodes) before it came out. Like the Gobots tape before it, I watched the shit out of it. I can honestly say that Beast Wars made me the person I am today. It helped forge a set of principals that are ingrained in my personality to this day. I'd bring it to friends' houses to watch it before or after watching a new episode on cable, but ended up always being annoyed because I had to explain everything to them (they couldn't speak english). Nonetheless it was a blast. I remember watching the season 1 finale and then having a huge beastie battle with our toys. I remember my first BW toy was Rhinox and a few years later I had a pretty big collection. A few of the highlights were : Ultra Optimus Primal and Megatron, Magnaboss, Tripredacus, Cheetor, Airazor, Transmetal Rattrap, Transmetal Tarantulas and Inferno. My last BW toy (and last transformer until very recently, thanks P) was Optimal Optimus. Even I taught he was a bit too much.

After Optimal Optimus I just stopped playing with toys and even got rid of them in my teens (oh, well). I've kept a fondness for Transformers ever since. Like a lot of people, the movies sort of reignited the love. I started reading some of the comics and stuff online about all the lore. It's funny because what I understood about transformers had almost nothing to do with the original cartoon. My first exposure to the G1 story was through the Starscream spark episodes of BW. More recently, I got into the Prime show which is incredible. And then through that I came across Thew's Awesome Reviews of transformers toys and discovered the amazing classics toys. I've been borderline obsessed for the passed few weeks and decided that there was only on thing to do to get over it. Tonight I bought my first transformers toys in 13 years. Second-hand of course.

*FUN FACT : I was eating peperettes while I was playing with the combaticons for the first time and am now instantly reminded of tiny spicy sausages whenever I see Brawl. Odd thing, the human brain.
catimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #474
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Welcome Catimus!

If you still have those combaticons it would be fairly easy to complete you combiner I think. Heck if you're not all that particular about which one to get you could probably grab pieces of Ruination on the cheap.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #475
SMOG
zombicon

Welcome, Catimus. Cool story!

Ah, that early haze of toy nostalgia fever... I remember it well. While I still enjoy collecting my robots very much, it's not the same as when I was first digging back into the scene after a long absence. I've even jumped over to other collections to get my fix from Masters of the Universe Classics and new GI Joes, as well as some more obscure lines. Transformers still reign supreme though...

What new second-hand figure did you just get for yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelement24x View Post
They replaced steeljaw with something called thunder? Not sure where the hell takara pulled that out of Maybe its a clever way to say blaster is stealing some "thunder" away from soundwave...
"Sundor". Sounds like a He-Man character. I guess it's a play on "condor"... though personally, I think "Sunder" is a pretty good name for a Transformer, puns not necessary.

Of course those figures are super-tiny and rudimentary. The ejecting gimmick is cool, but I kind of feel like I'd want a better representation of the characters. We've gotten a lot of big cat-type characters over the years, but very few rhinos unfortunately.

zmog
SMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #476
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catimus prime View Post
I think eventually I caught the G2 cartoon (I vividly remember the CYBERNET SPACE CUBE and not much else) on YTV or Fox or something.
YTV stopped playing Transformers with G1 "Season 5" in 1987 and didn't show anything Transformers till Beasties in 1996. (aka Beast wars).

Montreal didn't get Fox till (or Quebec as a whole for that matter) 1995 and it didn't play G2. They would get Beast Wars in 1997 (A year behind ABC and Canada's YTV) starting with Season 1 one, then working forward into Season 2, and finally getting the exclusive launch rights to Season 3/Beast Machines/Robots In Disguise.

For Montrealers, G2 was played on WVNY (also know as ABC22) and was on channel 22 for us back in the day afterschool weekdays from 1993 till early 1996.

ABC22 then changed their afterschool program into the "POWER BLOCK" and it's how a lot of us Canadians got to see "Beast Wars" instead of Beasties as the intro/title for the show. Oddly enough Power Block actually censored/cut some Beast Wars episodes for time and content (Rattrap hitting Waspitnator in the balls/Rhinox fart for example).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjPQgfZROY

Anyhow enough info for one day =P
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #477
Undrave
Canadian Slag

the POWER BLOCK! It also had Extreme GI-Joe and Vor-Tech!

Two other remakes that didn't really have as much success as Beast Wars
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #478
Kristal
Machine War

Ahhh did anybody do some Black Friday shopping? I went yesterday to fairview so my mom can go to Chaton bille (kill me, it's a bead store) and it was just CHAOS at Jean-Talon.

People looking for parking, honking, people being douchebaggy drivers..etc.. for Toys'R'Us or Best Buy. Everything was packed. but today it was quiet (thank god) and Wal-Mart has some good games for sale. BUT....It seems to have a problem.

On Walmart (.ca) they have Fall of Cybertron for 19.99 (holy crap) for sale. Now, I went to Vaudreuil-Dorion's Walmart and they had it for 59.99 when the site (i used the locator) said it was for sale for 19.99. I told them if it was a pricing error or something but none of them really went to check if it was a pricing error or not.
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #479
xelement24x
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
On Walmart (.ca) they have Fall of Cybertron for 19.99 (holy crap) for sale. Now, I went to Vaudreuil-Dorion's Walmart and they had it for 59.99 when the site (i used the locator) said it was for sale for 19.99. I told them if it was a pricing error or something but none of them really went to check if it was a pricing error or not.
59.99$ for FOC deluxes?? is this each or all together?
xelement24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #480
Grayfox
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
the POWER BLOCK! It also had Extreme GI-Joe and Vor-Tech!

Two other remakes that didn't really have as much success as Beast Wars
I'm not sure where they fit in the timeline, but I remember also watching James Bond Jr. and Conan the Adventurer on ABC22

For those who don't know/remember

James Bond Jr.

Conan intro
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote