Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Called Rogers/Bell/Whatever Provider Today...Share Your Story

So my cell phone contract was up almost a year ago. It's been acting up lately so I finally call Rogers Wireless up this morning and ask for my phone hardware upgrade which I am entitled to for fulfilling the 2 year contract. This is where the BS begins...

They tell me I can't upgrade my current smart phone unless I upgrade my phone plan if I want a newer "premium" smart phone like an iPhone or Galaxy 5, etc. So I said fine, how much does that plan cost? $80 minimum plan.

So I said, all I want is my phone upgraded, not my plan. My plan meets my needs just fine. They tell me no problem, I can choose from there older stock. They categorize them as "Smart Picks" devices. They are older but brand new. Sounds perfect. They are a lot better than my current phone anyways.

So I said fine, give me the Sony Xperia M2.

She then tells me, sorry the system will not allow her to process the upgrade unless I upgrade my plan. Uhmmm, but you just told me I can choose any of those phones?

So I said have a nice day. Why should I give up my plan. It's $60/month.

So it seems that free hardware upgrades are just a myth. I'll keep my student plan forever and just get an unlocked GSM phone. Put the SIM card in it and tell Rogers to kiss my ass

Is it just me, or has the cell phone rates increased drastically recently? I haven't inquired for a few years so I must have missed something. The lady on the phone said every provider is charging a minimum of $80 for smart phone plans now. Is that true?
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style
Re: Called Rogers/Bell/Whatever Provider Today...Share Your Story

You need to go into a store they can do more for you there.

To let you know I just upgraded mine no problems with rogers. I was limited to the phones I could pick from, NP got the S4 mini. Better than the last samsung I have. If you want a better phone you may have to pay extra for the phone only.

The problem is now that the goverment forced them to 2 yr contracts, you can't get the same phones as the 3 year contracts because you have 12 less payments to spead the cost of the phone over.

My family plan for 4 is $250 + taxes with shared data 2 gigs

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I got the new Samsung s5 on a a 2 year contract with Telus for $100 when I got my contract renewed when my old phone would no longer take a charge with 5 months to go. They also waved the remaining balance of the phone and upgraded my data for free too. This was all done in store in burlington.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
MULTIPLEX

I don't mind paying a little extra for the phone and have them (Rogers) subsidize a set amount but they arent even offering that, unless I upgrade my plan.

Basically they want me to get rid of my cheaper plan so they can lock me into a more expesive plan but still give me a B grade smart phone or a premium smart phone. They consider it the same thing.

Makes no sense to me.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
I got the new Samsung s5 on a a 2 year contract with Telus for $100 when I got my contract renewed when my old phone would no longer take a charge with 5 months to go. They also waved the remaining balance of the phone and upgraded my data for free too. This was all done in store in burlington.
This sounds like a great deal. How much data cap do you have? I will have to look around in stores I think.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
ccsquinty
Generation 2

Robbers announced this awhile ago...

They want ppl off their awesome grandfathered plan by forcing you to upgrade to a ripoff plan if you want a subsidized phone....

In other words, in order for you to keep your grandfathered plan, you need to get your own device...

Getting your own device is the better way IMO....

I left robbers last month and it's the best thing I ever did...
ccsquinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Rev
Addict

I'm trying to figure out their new plans at Bell. I don't get these share plans. And I notice they are much higher priced but offer more. They kind of make you have to get more but pay more.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Yup. Our amazing government really helped us consumers out by making the mandatory 2 year plans.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

And Canada also has one of the highest cost for plans, lack of real competition I guess

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
victory_saber
Robot in Disguise

ccsquinty has a great point in buying your phone outright and continue with your grandfathered/expired plan.

If you calculate the cost one incurs over a two year contract you'll notice that you're just spreading the costs versus paying a one-time lump sum for the phone.
victory_saber is offline   Reply With Quote