Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
TFtoys
Animated
Let's Fire CanadaPost ?

I know people have the right to go on strike or do protest of what they want, but it is also fair for us to let the Canadapost and their postal service know that we are satisfied with the pricing.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Re: Let's Fire CanadaPost ?

This is just my opinion. I'm all for the current strike effort they are employing. I am not happy with the raise of cost to ship a parcel, as its been 4x in the last year or so. We can have pride that with the new system they installed last year parcels arrive generally in less then 8 Business days vs 15 Business days from years prior. Ex would be NB to BC. I am unsatisfied with the crown corperations greed, as they are already well beyond a sustainable level of profitablity.

We are lucky that its not set up like that usps, yes we may pay more, but our post office isn't being proped up by the government finanially. Unlike the USA, Our tax dollars don't go to pay the post mans wages.

If anything, you can look at "Postage" as a form of increased taxation with out repersentation. The excess income created by this crown corporation is put into the Canadian Goverments Coffers. Which is then spent on say anything from the liberal arts to wellfare for a crack addict.

When you say fire Canada Post, I can only assume you are purposing one of two things. One, we remove the current upper managment and replace them with other agents. Like those running the German Post. Secondly, you may be referring to moving the crown coroperation period. In the belief that other companies can fill the void.

I can only say to this assumption that a European Model would be benificial. As we maybe able to maintain the current cost of expenditure. Increase profitablity, with out compromising service. If anything online services would increase profiblity as seen in the dutch model.

The removal of the crown corporation would be devestating. Primarly on a few points. The overal loss of secure middle class jobs, is something no one wants. The for mentioned income generated for the canadian coffers. The increase of cost to deliever any parcels. As other Parcel Carriers currently offer better or similar services at triple or higher the cost.

As an assumption, the system of expansion for a for-profit organization like UPS or Fedex would take years to fill in the gap generated by the absence of Canada Post. Personally I would not want to pay $15 to mail a Oversized letter (say a dvd) that would have cost under $2 with canada post.

The other issue at hand is that other corporations operate under the banner of honestly not helping you but generating money. So if canada post were to be removed. Heavy regulations would have to be put into place, in order to prevent abuse.

Another option that Europe has to offer is partial privatization of Canada Post. This is the opposite to canada post buying into a lions share of Purolator. A partial privatization would take away from the overal profitablity as a crown corporation. But there can be benifits. Examples would be deversifiying the overal enterprise. Having Non-union workers working with Union workers (I disagree with this one).

So basically we paymore then the US, but that primarly isn't a bad thing. Due to the offset of potential benfiets, depending on how you look at it. The primary concern is to prevent the expentional growth of greed repersentative to services given; as we have experinced in the last year. As a crown corporation we have a say, we just need them to hear.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Re: Let's Fire CanadaPost ?

Thing is the US postal system is now several billion dollars in debt, and projects that it will be over 200 billion in debt in a few years. I don't think we can say that Canada Post should follow their pricing model based on this.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Closed Thread