Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
carissa
Energon
[WIP] IDW-Style Rodimus

This is based on TFW's SteamShield's Rodimus. But I am beginning to add a few touches of my own.

This started as a Beast Hunters Wheeljack, with Shapeways head, arm pipes, and spoiler. Not yet added, but in the works are the knee spikes, and leg pipes (both out of styrene).

The feet are Tamiya's two part epoxy putty. And on one set of shoulders are the custom shoulder pads, though I am considering making a pair from styrene to see if they look better.

I am using these as my primary reference photos:

I've been working on this guy for well over a month now and it is so far the hardest and longest build yet. Not to mention that I am doing it in triplicate as merewyn and daim choc also want one.

In these photos, he is only being held together by friction, no screws as I test out how he's going to look.

carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
carissa
Energon
Re: [WIP] IDW-Style Rodimus

Not that anyone seems much interesting, but I am looking for a way to attach the lower legs properly to the main part of the legs.

In the bottom picture you can see the grey stuff around the bottom of the foot. That's kneaded eraser that allows it to hold in place just barely. I need something more permanent and stronger than that and I would also like it to be able to transform.

So my first thought was to use magnets. I have five rare earth magnets 3 mm by 1 mm and tried to use that. I have been cursing a bit like a sailor attempting to make the things stick with superglue. They keep coming loose and popping off.

brr-icy suggests using the two-part epoxy to form a little holder for the magnets.

Are there any other suggestions? I am not hard and fast on the use of magnets. I just want something that'll work before I end up superglueing the whole thing together and sacrificing transformability.

I am also a bit worried that the magnets may not be able to fully support the weight of the foot and any positioning.

Leg parts exploded:

Inside view of the leg:

Outside view of the legs:
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Have you thought about a lego connector peg or the lego cross shaft pegs. I have used these for a couple of things.

I have found the magnets are great for accessories but not much weight

http://www.cubiculus.com/images/7056...w=300&kar=true

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...94749896157500

PS looks good so far

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection

Last edited by Rodimus Prime1; 03-12-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
carissa
Energon

Yeah I'm using a connector peg with friction to go through the foot area. It looks like this:

But the area up above where it's supposed to peg into the lower leg, where that grey stuff is? That's where it keep falling backwards out of place.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa View Post
Yeah I'm using a connector peg with friction to go through the foot area. It looks like this:

But the area up above where it's supposed to peg into the lower leg, where that grey stuff is? That's where it keep falling backwards out of place.

Yeah thats one of them. the other one is "+" shaped when viewed front the end

There is one shown on this link bottom right. http://www.cubiculus.com/images/7056...w=300&kar=true

Can you not drill out both to accept this, I don't have one in front of me though to see how much room you have.

if you have the magnet in already, you could just add a small metal pin as well above it or a plastic peg this should hold the weight and the magnet should then hold it together.

I usually embed the magnet into the figure and the glue, just sticking it on the surface is not great and yes then you would have to use epoxy and build a dam all around

Feedback

Collection
Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
carissa
Energon

Also I already have forty of the round connector pegs. My hassle with Lego company meant it took well over a month to receive the first twenty I ordered that came all the way from Poland.

Then when I was sure the first batch wasn't coming, I called Lego, and they were like "Uhhhh, they should already be there. But hey we'll send you another 20; this time from Denmark and via a different shipping method. And if you happen to get the first package, just keep them. It's just an extra 20 pegs."

So yeah, eventually I'll have 40 of these pegs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
if you have the magnet in already, you could just add a small metal pin as well above it or a plastic peg this should hold the weight and the magnet should then hold it together.
Not sure I understand what you mean here

Quote:
I usually embed the magnet into the figure and the glue, just sticking it on the surface is not great and yes then you would have to use epoxy and build a dam all around
I think I understand this from brr-icy's description of it, already.

Quote:
Can you not drill out both to accept this, I don't have one in front of me though to see how much room you have.
Okay here are a few more photos. Inside the round connector peg I managed to secure a magnet so it's flush to the edge. And you can see the other one near the connector bit there.

With the next one, the red circular hole is where the connector peg with friction goes. The notch in the green plastic near the wheel peg is what I've carved attempting to make the peg seat into place.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Yeah that looks right, have you got the other lego piece that the peg goes into, I would cut it up and if it fits glue it in to recieve the peg, the lego receiver works great cause they lock in.

Otherwise you will have to fill it and drill it out I think its close to 4mm but check with calipers, but this will be a friction fit only. You could then put a magnet in the upper leg at the green part if it lines up with the pin thats in the lower leg part.This would also hold the pieces together if you don't go with the lego receiver

Also, if not use the cross piece of lego and a receiver. shown in this link. (2nd one down from the right and bottom right) http://www.cubiculus.com/images/7056...w=300&kar=true

I go to Value Village and pick up a bag of Bionicle stuff. you might get lucky and get some ball joints.

I try to use ball joints from donated pieces cut then up and glue them in. might not work here though

Feedback

Collection

Last edited by Rodimus Prime1; 03-13-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
carissa
Energon

So with some creative thinking, I finally solved the leg issue I had been having. All three Rodimuses are 99% done. One just needs his leg pipes cut to length and glued on. And all three are waiting on knee spikes that Daim Choc (of FB & TFW2005) are assisting me in making.

He now stands about as tall as a Voyager class figure. Just about the same height as Classics Ultra Magnus (without armor), and to the top of Generations Springer's yellow chest. He towers over the Prime RiD Wheeljack. The leg mod now allows him to do some nice deep poses.

Unfortunately the leg mode means I can mostly transform him, but his hood will be gappy, but he probably won't be transformed much at all.

I'll get some further photos up later.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
carissa
Energon

Hahahhaha Finally at a point where I can let the epoxy dry, clear coat him and say he's done!