Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #11
imfallenangel
Cybertron
Re: If you think the Siege Deluxe at $29.99 is absurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
I think a bigger problem is the folks who only want the figure at 50% off and then cry scalper wolf when someone offers them what they want at retail or a few bucks more.

I appreciate that you saw Metroplex on Sale for $50 at Costco 5 years ago on a Monday for 30 minutes before they sold out - but offering me $40 and then calling me a scam artist when I say no is laffy-bull

***generic you - not anyone in this thread to my knowledge
I agree with your points, but the thing here is, jumping from one line to a new one, and increasing the price by 50% (going from 20$ to 30$) IS harsh...

I just bought the two Siege leaders, which was 160$ (70$ each +tax) when a leader just a few years ago (maybe 5, give or take) was barely 40$, AND was much larger, no empty arms and legs syndrome either, and very solid plastic.

Anyone, including the company saying that the extra 50% increase in price is due to more material, better quality, etc. is basically admitting that previous lines were much cheaper. To me, that's not right... and as there's been many threads about weak points, breakage, etc. for the previous lines (and some for Siege already), it's very disappointing.

And when I look at something I did miss like Metroplex which sold for 125$ US in 2013 (I believe), and see that he's going for around 500$ (new in box) and used (and complete is not a sure thing) for about 300-400$, yeah, people will complain.

Where things once were that these were toys that would end up in garage sales for a few dollars, now, it's almost a race to find the rare chance to not end up being gouged by overpriced toys.

Heck, I'm been trying to find a Legacy Megazord to put with the Dragonzord I got on special, as I didn't know that they had changed them and my original Megazord isn't compatible... and the prices on them has been insane and completely out of my budget.

So to say that a fun hobby and passion as turned into a very expensive and very time consuming "job", well, it's losing it's fun and passion side quite a lot, and when you see other threads about people considering ending their collections and selling it off (fully or in part), I just think it's sad, and even worse, I'm starting to consider doing as such.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #12
python
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
but the thing here is, jumping from one line to a new one, and increasing the price by 50% (going from 20$ to 30$) IS harsh...
It is, and there will be backlash. Maybe not Black Series backlash, but Marvel Legends backlash, and there will be some shelf-warming.

But of Flywheels and Cog - not Hound and Sideswipe.
of Prowl and Chromia - but not Soundwave.

for the price out of the three though - most would agree WFC is the better buy.
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #13
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

IMHO, they should have just did the gradual price hike like they've been doing the last few years. That's easier to swally, but that sudden 50% price hike is harsh. But hey, what I don't know about business would fill an ocean.

As for those 3 3/4 inch figures, it's kind of actually the same price hike as Transformers. Each 3 3/4 figure was $10. That's the same cost as a Gi Joe figure a few years back when they were making them. So two 3 3/4 inch figures would add up to $20, which was the price of a deluxe, and now like a deluxe, they're $30.

Sales are key to me continuing with getting the main line figures now. And as for masterpiece, 3rd party is suddenly cheaper than getting official.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #14
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Heck, I'm been trying to find a Legacy Megazord to put with the Dragonzord I got on special, as I didn't know that they had changed them and my original Megazord isn't compatible... and the prices on them has been insane and completely out of my budget.
You're better of getting the Chogokin Megazord since the legacy Megazord is way up there in price. Plus with the Chogokin, no hideous stickers, better articulation, better sculpt (pretty much just better everything).
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #15
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Thumbs down Re: If you think the Siege Deluxe at $29.99 is absurd...

I use to buy a lot of figures, either for troop building or customs.

Energon/Cybertron basic figures were what? $9.99? A typical sale would put it around $7.50.
(refresher: "Basic" figures were Insecticon, Skyblast, Scrapmetal, etc)

Today we have Lionizer, Firedrive, and Blowpipe at $7.99.

*sigh*

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #16
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
You're better of getting the Chogokin Megazord since the legacy Megazord is way up there in price. Plus with the Chogokin, no hideous stickers, better articulation, better sculpt (pretty much just better everything).
I considered it, but now I have a Legacy Dragonzord sitting in a box because I don't have it's companion piece...

I HATE that they do this sort of thing.. sell one item and then wait 2-5 years to bring it's companion piece out...

A bit like Metroplex came out pretty much alone a few years ago, then a bunch more years later.. and once you miss it, getting something ends up being crazy expensive. I miss the days that toys would stream out for a few years to ensure that everyone could get one instead of this "bulk" (and always out of whack with groups being split across multiple waves) but time limited releases.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #17
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post

Energon/Cybertron basic figures were what? $9.99? A typical sale would put it around $7.50.

*sigh*

Cog is 35 after taxes, he's a pretty much legend class parts former. That's crazy.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #18
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Personally I'm thinking of switching to collecting Video Games only, at least I get more enjoyment out of them these days and they 'USUALLY' don't break as easily. Then again who knows... I haven't bought a single deluxe figure yet and while I want them I could see myself not getting anything other than Micro Masters and Battle Masters.
I’ve strayed a bit into retro gaming lately, more as a nostalgia and “best games on X console” thing. If you’re not collecting mint or complete and perfect boxes, etc then the costs aren’t too bad. And if like me restoring/cleaning is part of the fun then some things can be found quite cheap.
That said, many titles command stupid prices... and things do break sometimes: old consoles with disc readers love to just up and die. Cartridge systems are more solid but be prepared to pay anywhere from $10 to $60 for loose SNES or Nintendo carts for them.

————

I’ve understood and even kind of defended past Hasbro price raising but this $10 hike especially on deluxes has broken me. So weird to stare at a full line I’d like to own in WalMart and just walk away. So far from Seige, a line I want most of, I’ve only gotten Optimus and Megs with a stacked 25% and 15% off deal from TRU (making them $25 each).

Last edited by Goaliebot; 01-14-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #19
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
I’ve strayed a bit into retro gaming lately, more as a nostalgia and “best games on X console” thing. If you’re not collecting mint or complete and perfect boxes, etc then the costs aren’t too bad. And if like me restoring/cleaning is part of the fun then some things can be found quite cheap.
That said, many titles command stupid prices... and things do break sometimes: old consoles with disc readers love to just up and die. Cartridge systems are more solid but be prepared to pay anywhere from $10 to $60 for loose SNES or Nintendo carts for them.

————

I’ve understood and even kind of defended past Hasbro price raising but this $10 hike especially on deluxes has broken me. So weird to stare at a full line I’d like to own in WalMart and just walk away. So far from Seige, a line I want most of, I’ve only gotten Optimus and Megs with a stacked 25% and 15% off deal from TRU (making them $25 each).
Just looking at Werevenom's lovely pics in the photo thread, it's been noted that Leader Shockwave is smaller than voyager megs, who is already smallish for a voyager. So we're talking $70msrp on a big deluxe/small voyager!
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #20
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post

*sigh*
I wonder how the U.S. fall of Toys R Us affected this?
Perhaps:

1- TRU Canada got scared and realized they need to jack up prices

2- Walmart & Target U.S. mostly took advantage of their huge toy market share, (now with competitor TRU gone), so they upped their prices.
...mostly because they can.

3- Hasbro got scared from the largest toy store's downfall and instead of streamlining toys and reducing prices, they listened to Walmart & Target and agreed to their terms for larger profit margins for all.

Now it depends on consumer backlash. Let's see how this goes.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote