Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
strag
Machine War
Send a message via AIM to strag Send a message via MSN to strag Send a message via Skype™ to strag
Re: Change to Hasbro Canada involvement in TFcon 2012

It's unfortunate, but at the same time with the way things have been going w/ their stance on 3rd party I can't say I'm particularly surprised. Dunno how they're going to get the news out about exclusives and such though aside from stuff just showing up at stores one week or getting leaked from stock lists or something like that.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
Saundowaivu
Beasty

When the con exclusives are 3rd party, I can understand why they would frown upon it. With that in mind, perhaps they could now be coaxed into giving us "Official" exclisives for TFcon.
Saundowaivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
justprime
Animated

They should have offered to TF con an exclusive right from the start years ago,our con has a large following,... seeing as there new stance is like a kid that ownes the ball "play my way or I take the ball home" I say Good riddence, there answers to most questions I found bland with no clear deffinition, displays were rather uniteresting and staff meh...
now because of third party they pull the panel what a disservice to us the fans its this attitude that will (as other have said ) continue to drive us to third party pieces along with the recent QC issues,price hike verse size and long waits between new product on the shelves you would think some one at big H would comprehend this now they snub us at the vary con that is in part a tribute to there toy line.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
RavageX-9
Generation 2
RavageX-9's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Tekno View Post
Though this begs the question.... how are we gonna find out what exclusives are being picked up in Canada? Will they be at liberty to tell us if we ask them on the show floor?
That's a good point.
I wonder how difficult this will make it for Canadian collectors.

I haven't particularly been paying attention to Canadian exclusives because they've tended to be more expensive and not always released in Canada. I just go through the usual sources to get it from the USA. It is less convenient though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundowaivu View Post
When the con exclusives are 3rd party, I can understand why they would frown upon it. With that in mind, perhaps they could now be coaxed into giving us "Official" exclisives for TFcon.
Considering how few of the TFCon exclusives appreciate in value, that might not even be a practical option, even if it were possible.

Since 2005, the exclusives had been produced in large sets. The past few years they haven't made less than about 1,500 per unit. Even BotCon exclusives aren't all winners.
RavageX-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I'm disappointed because the Hasbro panel was such a fixture, but as others have said it's mostly turned into a "come see images we release at Botcon or SDCC" which makes it unnecessary I suppose.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Mike
Robot Master
Mike's Ebay Auctions

so first we get the same movie cars as last year (which are cool and all, but I expected something different) and now no hasbro panel? this years gonna suck. I'm glad my girl and I planned a bunch of other stuff around the weekend.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Cool Re: Change to Hasbro Canada involvement in TFcon 2012

Isn't this reason why TFCon was moved into mid-summer? So that Hasbro can do all their big hoop-lah stuff at BotCon and SDCC?

Imagine the BotCon rage if Hasbro did big reveals at TFCon when it was still being held in late April...

This way, Hasbro doesn't need to come as they would have done everything they needed at the other 2 major shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock4Prime View Post
.....anyways and I'm guessing a majority of the Q&A would get responses along the lines of "I don't know" or "I can't say".
Gong on what I said above, if TFCon was still in late April, their answers would be "It'll be revealed at BotCon" or "something big is planned at SDCC".

So yeah, no big loss to TFCon IMO.

If they started selling recently US released figures at their table, THAT would be something.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

Wow.

You know, Hasbro obviously feels threatened by third party stuff, but reacting this way isn't helping them. It screams "Boo hoo! We're taking our toys and going home." when what they should be doing is showing off their stuff so that people want to buy it.

Honestly, duh. You don't get people back by behaving like spoiled children. You don't get fan loyalty by not showing up. This only makes the third party stuff even more popular and interesting. Congrats Hasbro -- your move here has guaranteed extra third party sales, and since you won't be hyping your own stuff, those sales might even come at the expense of Hasbro goods.

Quote:
This heralds the end of TFcon enjoying the best of both worlds. I wouldn't be surprised if next year, there's no Hasbro Canada presence at all. It's a real shame.
Actually, I'd say it heralds Hasbro losing its grip, both on its toys and reality. If this is their response to third parties, then they're even more defocused and clueless than I thought.

The response should be do more for your best, most loyal customers, not less. Even though third party stuff is shiny and sexy, most people want to support Hasbro and want to be excited and informed about their product. Instead, they'll be absent and all the attention that would have gone to official merchandise t will go to third parties. Well played! You showed them!
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
RageD
Energon

This is no big deal at all. In fact I venture to say the con will be better without them!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

Are you sure the con would be better without them? Aren't they the ones who have been keeping us interested since we were little kids? Maybe they do feel threatened by the "new kids", or maybe they aren't. Most of y'all are saying good riddance, and saying that they're like children saying play my way or I'm leaving. Wouldn't saying good riddance be like dissing a best friend you've had since childhood? What if one day they decided to not make anymore new stuff for us to enjoy? Not like it's that way at the moment, but what if?
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tfcon 2012