Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 05-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: DAK's Customizing Discussion Thread

2 Customizing Questions

1. How could I remove remove the pegs holding movie Jazz's hands in so I can turn the hands on him so there on properly? (Many may want to do this too, they look totally off)

2. How would I go about painting black plastic yellow? I want to costomize my movie BB but the yellow paint doesn't spread very evenly on black plastic.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #22
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

i can answer the second with my really limited knowledge. you need a primer before you can paint a light colour on a dark colour. at least thats how it goes with wall paint.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #23
dak
Master Creator

I read what you said, and looked at my character and did some research. On the back of the box it does have the hands the opposite arms. I decided to make this into a small tutorial. Here ya go:

Subject: Movie Jazz
Operation: Hand Switch
Difficulty: 7/10
Time: 10-15 min

First I'd like to say, as easy as it sounds to switch the hands, it really isn't. 2 things 3 things make this difficult.
1) You're working with really small pieces.
2) Some parts are thin and could easally break if not careful.
3) There is a really stupid barrier preventing this project from being easier than it is.

so lets begin:

Take the hood off the rest of the body, and know where the right and left side are. All you will be doing for this is removing 2 pins, switching hands and replacing the pins.

Take the side you would like to start with first, and grab a small screwdriver. Jewlers type is prefered. You will want to push the pin from the center of the hood (where the screwdriver in the pic is pointing) to the outside. That little tab that is covering the pin hole is what's going to make this difficult. The reason you want to push from that side is because the jagged side of the pin is on the outside of the hood

If you can put the Screwdriver on the Tab side of the hood, do it. The method I used is a little trickier and a little more dangerous. How I did it is, I pushed the pin from the outside of the hood, going in. this closed the gap between the pin and the tab. what this also does is frees the one side of the hand from a pin. Take a small flat head screwdriver and wedge it between the tab and the pin. Push the pin in away from the tab and back to the outside of the hood.

What has happined now is the one side of the hand is free and you are pushing the pin through to free the other half. The pin should bend the outside of the hand and not re enter the hole. go slowly, and the hand should be free of stress marks and cracks. When that's finished, move along to the other side.

As I mentioned before, this method is risky and would be alot easier if that damn tab wasn't there. You do run the risk of streaching and cracking the part that is attached to the hood, as pictured. as long as the piece hasn't fully come off and is only stressed, you can easally dab a bit of super glue on it and it will mend it. Make sure the glue is totally dry and hasn't covered your hole before you continue.

When both pins are removed, switch the hands. and test fit them on the arms with no pins. For this character, the underside of the hood should be facing up, and the 2 fingers are on the upper side aswell. Always make sure you do a test fit cause you don't want to put something together and realise it's wrong, especially with a pin joint.

When you are satisfied with how it looks, simply slide the pin in towards the tab clean side first. The easiest way I find to putting pins back is just using my teeth. bite the top of the pin and the end point and it should slide in. Other methods are to use Plyers, or vicegrips. but don't apply too much pressure, cause you don't want to mark up the plastic. And then, you're done!

dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #24
dak
Master Creator

As for paint, on a dark surface, use a primer, and then use the paint over top. Use a Krylon Primer cause it will stick better to the plastic. be sure not to use too much primer, and make sure you mask your surface.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #25
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Always helpful, thanks Dak. I'll put up pics of what I've done with my Deluxe Movie BB...it needed some more silver (especially with that face plate) but still needs some yellow accents.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #26
Polenicus
Generation 1
Need Help - Kitbash/Repair Masterpiece Starscream

Okay, here's the issue. A few days ago, Starscream took a dive off a high shelf onto a wooden floor. Damage? A minor chip to his foot, which is easily repairable (Got the piece, not load bearing) and the ball joint that holds the hip kibble on snapped clean off.

It's the second that's the issue. As this is a load-bearing piece, subject to torsional stress and constant weight, I can't see any glue or epoxy holding it satisfactorily, so I have two options.

1. Drill a hole in the ball joint and hip and attempt to use a screw to pin the two back together.

2. Perform a customization such as this: http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=54417

Unfortunately, aside from doing the arm mod on Armada Prime (To allow the arms in super mode to free-rotate) I've never done any customizing or repair work. And Masterpiece Starscream is kinda expensive to learn on.

So I was hoping there was a Toronto-area transfan with experience with this sort of thing that could help guide me? I'm willing to do the work myself, I just kind of need a mentor I can post questions to, who can give advice on tools, glues, how to do things like those custom posts in option #2, etc.

Anyone willing to help me out?
Polenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #27
Phy
Machine War
Re: Need Help - Kitbash/Repair Masterpiece Starscream

I had a Kotobukiya Armored Core action figure, busted the foot off its ankle balljoint. What I ended up doing was boring out a hole in both the ball and the foot, inserting a bit of paperclip wire as a rod, and supergluing the whole thing shut. I haven't looked at it in a couple of years but at the time it seemed okay.

Anyone else?
Phy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #28
agesthreeandup
Energon Supplier

You know you can pose it with the wings on the legs, not on the ball joint? He does not stand straight up when they are on the legs but he can do some good action poses that way.

The ball joint is not cruical when in the jet mode as well so you can just dissregard it all together if you do it this way.

Spencer.
agesthreeandup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #29
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

phy's method sounds pretty stable, i might try something close to that.

i'm also having this sort of problem with a galaxy force optimus prime. the gear-like piece that connects the arm to the shoulder has been sheared off.

its a high load bearing joint, and using superglue didnt hold as well as i had hoped. on top of that, i only have half of the gear-like piece. so i'm in a bind as well.

perhaps the answer to polenicus' problem will work for mine as well, but i'm open to suggestions.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #30
dak
Master Creator

I'd need to look at my SS, at some point to give you a better description of what to do, but if it's just a ball joint, you should take some super glue, stick the piece on, then drill a screw into the shaft for secure support. I've had to do this a few times. I would not suggest using anything other than a screw, cause the thredding on a screw will hold it on alot better than a smooth object.

A few note:

-Predrill your hole so it is a tad smaller than the screw.
-Use a super glue to hold the piece a first, then when it totally dries it can leave behind a white frosty residue. Just wipe away with a damp cloth.
-after all glue is dry and the screw is in, add a bit more glue around the outside edges to fill in the cracks and add extra support.
-BIG NOTE: take your pieces appart, as best as you can before starting.

If the joint is not actually a ball joint, and it is a clicking type.... this method will not work.