Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #661
optimusprime1
Mini-Con
Re: Northmen Collectibles NMC Toys - not impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcaj View Post
No, I don't have specific experience with RBC but have read tons of reviews/threads about NMC Toys recently. Have read that people have had success with preorder charge backs where credit card companies were able to go by the date you expected to receive the items as opposed to the purchase date. You may have a good shot still if within that time frame. If unable to go ahead with charge back try commenting on his face book page for a response and maybe you can get a refund minus theft or store credit. Try to get something for your money but the guy is a thief and if there is an out where he can just keep your money he most likely will.

Thank you. Hopefully it works out one way or another. There needs to be better consumer protection laws and regulations.

I wish there was a way that he can be stopped because he is going to keep frauding new customers by accepting unlimited preorders with no cap or intention or ability to fullfill them and by the time the customers realize that there is a problem it's usually too late.
optimusprime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #662
RocketGTR
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprime1 View Post
Thank you. Hopefully it works out one way or another. There needs to be better consumer protection laws and regulations.
Each province has their laws and regulations in place. It really depends on where you are. I posted this way back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGTR View Post
As far as I can see, if your purchase is over $50, you are protected by the Consumer Protection Act in Ontario.

Late delivery
26 (1) A consumer may cancel a future performance agreement at any time before delivery under the agreement or the commencement of performance under the agreement if the supplier,

(a) does not make delivery within 30 days after the delivery date specified in the agreement or an amended delivery date agreed to by the consumer in writing; or

(b) does not begin performance of his, her or its obligations within 30 days after the commencement date specified in the agreement or an amended commencement date agreed to by the consumer in writing. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 26 (1).

So there may be other avenues to pursue if he insists on charging the cancellation fee. If you have time, I'm sure you could follow up with the Ontario Ministry of Consumer Protection to see what your rights are.
All I can suggest is you contact your CC and explain that the charge you paid was for a pre-order and that NMC has not fulfilled their agreement. If you have some kind of documents/communication to show he had provided an expected delivery date then you can use that plus your attempts to contact him as proof that he did not fulfill his end of the agreement. Maybe quote the above Act since he's based in Ontario.

Also look into your CC and their policy regarding preorders.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:38 PM   #663
Squid Prime
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcaj View Post
No, I don't have specific experience with RBC but have read tons of reviews/threads about NMC Toys recently. Have read that people have had success with preorder charge backs where credit card companies were able to go by the date you expected to receive the items as opposed to the purchase date. You may have a good shot still if within that time frame. If unable to go ahead with charge back try commenting on his face book page for a response and maybe you can get a refund minus theft or store credit. Try to get something for your money but the guy is a thief and if there is an out where he can just keep your money he most likely will.
When last year did you pre-order? I pre-ordered my stuff in June, and while that was well past the 30 days, Visa (I'm with CIBC) still managed to get my money back. Maybe with RBC things are different, but they still need to go through Visa. I wouldn't give up; it really depends on the rep you get on the phone; some may push a little harder and help you out, others may brush you off with some bs.

If you still don't get an answer from RBC, just be patient- try calling them again next week and explain your situation. Bottom line is, the goods promised were not delivered, and this asshole charged you upfront for something that you never got. Whatever you do, DO NOT do any refund with him, or accept store credit. He will try to hold at least some, or all your money hostage and berate you for as long as he can.
Squid Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #664
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

In no way am I defending NMC but there is some onus on the consumer to understand the terms of their credit card policy and the retailer policy.

Your credit card company does have specific time frame in how long you have protection for. At the same time you need to review the retailer policy especially on pre-orders.

If your credit card offers six month of protection and the pre order is 8 months out, then you might be out of luck if you challenge that. Again depends on who you deal with at the credit card company.

Also consider the terms of the pre-order, some will state refunds after x amount of months of delay from original expected date, but again if it's over the 6 month period your credit card company doesn't have to honor that.

I pre ordered some items where there is no refund policy unless the manufacturer cancels the product, knowing its going to be out further than 6 months there is a possibility I may never see the item or that money again.

As someone else mentioned their are alternatives on trying to get your money back through the credit card company.
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:29 PM   #665
Jive Turkey
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post
In no way am I defending NMC but there is some onus on the consumer to understand the terms of their credit card policy and the retailer policy.

Your credit card company does have specific time frame in how long you have protection for. At the same time you need to review the retailer policy especially on pre-orders.

If your credit card offers six month of protection and the pre order is 8 months out, then you might be out of luck if you challenge that. Again depends on who you deal with at the credit card company.

Also consider the terms of the pre-order, some will state refunds after x amount of months of delay from original expected date, but again if it's over the 6 month period your credit card company doesn't have to honor that.

I pre ordered some items where there is no refund policy unless the manufacturer cancels the product, knowing its going to be out further than 6 months there is a possibility I may never see the item or that money again.

As someone else mentioned their are alternatives on trying to get your money back through the credit card company.
I'm sure there must be legal limits to no-refund policies. A company doesn't just have carte blanche to create policies that are in contradiction to the law. The same way a landlord's "no pets" policy is frivolous. They can write it down if they like, but it's not legally binding.

Add that to the fact that NMC's business practices, and in particular Austin's behaviour, are completely beyond the pale, and they lose any good will from me. This is a dude who has repeatedly told people in responses to bad reviews that they emailed "sales@ instead of support@" and that's why they didn't receive any replies to their inquiries. A business not run by a narcissistic goblin would simply forward the email to the correct inbox. Even worse when you consider there are only two employees to begin with. Or when he tells people they should be following along on his website news page to know the status of various toy lines. What kind of business model is that? It's a web store, not a news site.

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 02-20-2022 at 02:30 AM.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #666
Jive Turkey
Generation 1

A snippet from a recent review reply that I found enlightening:

"Now Grace sent in an email roughly 10 days ago to support. Unfortunately, support had not yet had a chance to get to her email. She did not follow up. Her next follow up was to file a dispute on paypal claiming the store is a "scam". "

He thinks not "having a chance" to respond to an email in TEN DAYS is normal. The paypal dispute was absolutely called for. This guy is a clown
Old 04-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #667
kmcaj
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
A snippet from a recent review reply that I found enlightening:

"Now Grace sent in an email roughly 10 days ago to support. Unfortunately, support had not yet had a chance to get to her email. She did not follow up. Her next follow up was to file a dispute on paypal claiming the store is a "scam". "

He thinks not "having a chance" to respond to an email in TEN DAYS is normal. The paypal dispute was absolutely called for. This guy is a clown
Lol, I sent emails to sales asking for my in stock stuff to be shipped until I was almost out of time to file a charge back with my credit company and this guy makes same claim after having 3 months to respond to emails. Clown for sure but I have my money back now at least, after winning the dispute, which he didn't fight. He just let the time run out, though he could have just ended it. Guys a fucking asshole.
kmcaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:31 PM   #668
Metrotitan
Robot in Disguise

Austin actually got in touch and told me he realized he had missed my last email (last year) and I actually got a refund from NMC for the two cancelled items from my order through PayPal.

He apologized profusely but was also like "hey, maybe quit telling people on social media that I stole your money." He also gave me a coupon code for 10% off anything in the future...

After everything was said and done I actually got my money back and all the items I ordered that did come in stock.

Does this mean I will be buying from NMC in the future or recommending them to people? HELL NO. Still the only time I have ever had a problem ordering online. Ever.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #669
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Surprised this didn't happen sooner.

NMC Toys Survivors
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3361674570734252
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:54 AM   #670
Jive Turkey
Generation 1

His new excuse is "the economy".
From a recent review, he hilariously simultaneously claims it would be irresponsible to hire an new employee while also bragging about the number of orders he takes

"This situation is far from ideal but it is nonetheless the situation I am stuck dealing with as it would be completely irresponsible for me to commit to paying an employee right now with the economy completely in tatters. It would be unfair to anyone I would bring on as there is no way I can guarantee them consistent hours.

As a result of this I am incredibly backlogged, in particular when it comes to emails due to the high volume of emails I am receiving as a result of the high number of products that remain delayed and the high number of products that are in the process of releasing as these delays begin to lessen.

You may not be the only one that has had this experience but I have had taken close to 17,000 orders, have close to 7000 registered customers (which does not account for those checking out as guests) and roughly 1600 different SKUs already in-stock and ready to ship out"