Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #1
Brian12
Machine War
Masterpiece Cheetor right thumb broken :(

I decided to transform my MP Cheetor figure from robot to cheetah mode after it was on my shelf for what I think was several months, and his right thumb just broke off on me while doing so..

A pic of it's breakage.. I read posts about him breakin in certain other parts before but never the thumb. If I had to guess, it's probably because I most likely put the gut blaster in his hand the wrong way and that really stressed it over time.

If anything I guess it isn't as hard to have him hold the gun anymore...but this really sucks. He's one of the few MPs I have and one of my favorites

So I post about this here to ask, how can I fix him? Can I just superglue his thumb back on there? It broke off at the hinge though, so it'd restrict his in and out wrist articulation. If it worked anyway.

I'm all ears.
*Legacy Armada Starscream and Animated Optimus Prime
Brian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions
Re: Masterpiece Cheetor right thumb broken :(

I found superglue to be a poor choice for repairing toys where the applied stress is high and some flexibility is required (e.g. base of the thumb when inserting a gun). The glued interface is very stiff but brittle, which I don't think is desirable in this case.

Given it's an expensive figure, my recommendation is to invest the time to investigate the use of plastic welding kits. These kits use chemicals to melt the two plastic surfaces to actually form the bond. From what I understand, you may have to identify the type of plastic you are trying to weld, as the chemicals may be plastic-specific.

Some sites suggest using soldering iron / heat gun, but it is something I don't recommend because it is difficult to: 1) control the heat of the tool (especially soldering iron) to prevent burning the plastic, and 2) ensure the entire contact surface is melted, given that these tools heat from the outside and plastic is a poor heat conductor.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by OldOfflineMan; 11-26-2018 at 12:42 PM.
OldOfflineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #3
Brian12
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOfflineMan View Post
I found superglue to be a poor choice for repairing toys where the applied stress is high and some flexibility is required (e.g. base of the thumb when inserting a gun). The glued interface is very stiff but brittle, which I don't think is desirable in this case.

Given it's an expensive figure, my recommendation is to invest the time to investigate the use of plastic welding kits. These kits use chemicals to melt the two plastic surfaces to actually form the bond. From what I understand, you may have to identify the type of plastic you are trying to weld, as the chemicals may be plastic-specific.

Some sites suggest using soldering iron / heat gun, but it is something I don't recommend because it is difficult to: 1) control the heat of the tool (especially soldering iron) to prevent burning the plastic, and 2) ensure the entire contact surface is melted, given that these tools heat from the outside and plastic is a poor heat conductor.

I hope this helps.

Those are some very complicated steps...I knew this wouldn't be simple.

But thank you for the reply. I'm not sure about actually doin any of those, if I do superglue it back on I guess he'll just have to be left handed. But right now, he can still hold the gun in his right hand and cover up the missing thumb.

I always did feel like trying to get the guy to hold any of his weapons was too difficult..so it might have been inevitable. I'd even say it's a design flaw, of an otherwise amazing figure.

But there are worse cases of this figure's breakage. I can live with this.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Do you have the breakage piece??
Should be no problem with clear gorilla glue
It holds anything together.
It would bond nicely
But you have to operate a little.
Send it to me ill fix it for free.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #5
Brian12
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post
Do you have the breakage piece??
Should be no problem with clear gorilla glue
It holds anything together.
It would bond nicely
But you have to operate a little.
Send it to me ill fix it for free.

Yes I have the broken off piece still. Gorilla Glue eh, I'll see if I can fix it myself with that sometime. Thanks for the offer tho.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

I would avoid any and all glue at any cost. I don't find glue works particulatly well anyway, even the well touted Gorilla glue, I have never gotten that stuff to hold anything for long. It isn't that it, or any glue, is bad but it isn't the thing to use around any kind of joint, hinge or small delicate piece. For a piece like this, it might work, but I doubt it will last. The weld is a great idea, the best idea actually, but if you are inexperienced then using it for the first time on an MP figure might be rough. So, what's the go between? Hands down, use Bondic. You can get it from any hardware store. It is very easy and very fast. I like working with it way better than glue. It is less messy and if you follow the steps you get an amazing bond that can be sanded, cut, painted etc. I have used it to repair the door wing balljoints on Universe Smokescreen, the chest flap on Energon Optimus, shoulder ball socket on Animated Bumblebee and a broken in half POTP Rodimus. No glue ever will come close to the repair quality and flexibility of thus stuff.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
ngnaw
Armada

You should try Bondic, it uses a light to cure the epoxy... I think you'd have more control over how it sets. I fixed my nephew's Snarl as he got in a fight with his brother and he kind of snapped the back off when they were tugging at the figure lol They sell it at Canadiantire.ca and goes on special often...

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/b...-0671446p.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/HowYouBondic/videos

Last edited by ngnaw; 11-27-2018 at 09:08 AM.
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:18 PM   #8
Aarshi
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
You should try Bondic, it uses a light to cure the epoxy... I think you'd have more control over how it sets. I fixed my nephew's Snarl as he got in a fight with his brother and he kind of snapped the back off when they were tugging at the figure lol They sell it at Canadiantire.ca and goes on special often...

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/b...-0671446p.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/HowYouBondic/videos
Have you tried using Bondic to fix broken items before? What was your experience with it, and would you recommend it as a reliable and effective solution?
Aarshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarshi View Post
Have you tried using Bondic to fix broken items before? What was your experience with it, and would you recommend it as a reliable and effective solution?
Have used it often and find it infinitely better than glue. While it depends on the break and you definitely need to use it as directed, I generally prefer it. I have rebuilt or reinforced hinges too.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:13 PM   #10
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Maybe just buy a KO version and replace the hand?

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beast wars, breakage, cheetor, masterpiece