Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 08:16 PM   #7241
Skorpulator
Armada
Re: Amazon.ca Transformers Sightings and discussion

Declared value matters more than the content. I've always paid duty charges on my HLJ and AmiAmi orders.
Skorpulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:11 PM   #7242
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpulator View Post
Declared value matters more than the content. I've always paid duty charges on my HLJ and AmiAmi orders.
To be clear, there is a difference between duty and sales taxes.

If it was properly declared at full value, and sent by EMS, you will almost always pay sales taxes + $10 handling fee. That's not duty though.

Duty, however, is on top of and separate from that, an extra amount depending on the product and country of origin. Super rare to ever get that, and you won't get it on toys unless Canada Customs chooses to purposefully misread the declaration, as appeared to happen to the other person. He paid taxes + duty because it was evaluated as machinery by CIC.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:16 PM   #7243
NightshadeX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatrion5 View Post
Yeah I have the form ready to mail in. It was actually $38.

I have purchased tons AMJ and usually the items inside are good but like you said the box is often beat up. Just got more orders today thankfully the other box took the damage on my DA-100 but the other shipping box which was in good shape had my masterpiece 44s Optimus torn right across the center back of his box. Like the MP train bot this damage was there before they shipped it.

I just tried to set up a return/exchange and there app doesn?t allow it. Guess I?ll have to wait until they open.

Did you end up loosing money doing a return? Exchange and other charges
International returns to Amazon JP are easy to start - just go to your order in Amazon JP on a website and choose "return an item" and pick the item. However, they are a bit more stressful because you have to pay return shipping up front and you must also make sure it is fully insured.

However, they will reimburse you for the return shipping. They will refund the return shipping up to 10,000 yen back to your credit card on file and the rest by amazon gift card.

The other problem with Amazon JP returns is they default to demanding you return by DHL. Which is ridiculously expensive as an average person. However, if you ask, you can get permission to send it back by XpressPost or Tracked PArcel. Since you have to pay for insurance, Tracked Parcel is not usually an option and you need to use XpressPost. If you google the issue, you'll see suggestions on how to phrase the e-mail to customer support. You'll need an electronic or paper receipt (I buy my labels with GoShippo to save money).

I had to return a damaged Trainbot (MPG-03) to Amazon JP and I got permission to use XpressPost and the shipping cost was under 10,000 jpy so when it was processed I got my full refund plus reimbursement for the shipping cost I paid out of my pocket.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:04 AM   #7244
alphatrion5
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightshadeX View Post
International returns to Amazon JP are easy to start - just go to your order in Amazon JP on a website and choose "return an item" and pick the item. However, they are a bit more stressful because you have to pay return shipping up front and you must also make sure it is fully insured.

However, they will reimburse you for the return shipping. They will refund the return shipping up to 10,000 yen back to your credit card on file and the rest by amazon gift card.

The other problem with Amazon JP returns is they default to demanding you return by DHL. Which is ridiculously expensive as an average person. However, if you ask, you can get permission to send it back by XpressPost or Tracked PArcel. Since you have to pay for insurance, Tracked Parcel is not usually an option and you need to use XpressPost. If you google the issue, you'll see suggestions on how to phrase the e-mail to customer support. You'll need an electronic or paper receipt (I buy my labels with GoShippo to save money).

I had to return a damaged Trainbot (MPG-03) to Amazon JP and I got permission to use XpressPost and the shipping cost was under 10,000 jpy so when it was processed I got my full refund plus reimbursement for the shipping cost I paid out of my pocket.
I set up the return and he didn?t specify what shipper to use. He said to send a email with a photo of the receipt and list the shipper and tracking so I guess I?m free to use anyone. They don?t refund the insurance part of the shipping? That wasn?t stated. He did say 12000 yen and then it goes on store credit
alphatrion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:49 AM   #7245
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

For incoming shipments, you can use the CBSA calculator to estimate your taxes.

Action figures should just be your provincial tax rate (no duties).

For shipments from Japan, only SEA mail, SAL, or EMS and it will arrive by Canada Post (provincial tax rate + ~$10-$12 CBSA handling fee).

My observation is that if you're in a major city, you're more likely to get randomly taxed by CBSA over people in smaller cities/towns.

If you choose any other courier company, be prepared to pay a lot more in "brokerage" fees, which will cover the import tax, but also a ton more, and highway robbery.

The only exception is Amazon Japan and DHL, everything is paid upfront and no additional surprises at delivery.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:35 AM   #7246
NightshadeX
Robot Master

Quote:
I set up the return and he didn?t specify what shipper to use. He said to send a email with a photo of the receipt and list the shipper and tracking so I guess I?m free to use anyone. They don?t refund the insurance part of the shipping? That wasn?t stated. He did say 12000 yen and then it goes on store credit
Their help page still says DHL only (https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/hel...ZDSJLKGLY7D4NG)
"Return shipping from overseas is only available using DHL Express. If you used a carrier other than DHL Express, the return shipping cost cannot be refunded."
If you read the instruction page on the return in Amazon it says the same thing if you read it carefully.

That's why I always ask and get it in writing in advance. YMMV. Maybe they are becoming more consistently flexible - I've had customer service chats take forever for them to agree, and other times it's quick.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:42 PM   #7247
alphatrion5
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightshadeX View Post
Their help page still says DHL only (https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/hel...ZDSJLKGLY7D4NG)
"Return shipping from overseas is only available using DHL Express. If you used a carrier other than DHL Express, the return shipping cost cannot be refunded."
If you read the instruction page on the return in Amazon it says the same thing if you read it carefully.

That's why I always ask and get it in writing in advance. YMMV. Maybe they are becoming more consistently flexible - I've had customer service chats take forever for them to agree, and other times it's quick.
I got a DHL Express quote for Optimus and it was $300! So if I do mail it back they are only giving me $100 back and $200 as a gift card. That?s nuts
Old 02-28-2024, 04:58 PM   #7248
NightshadeX
Robot Master

Quote:
I got a DHL Express quote for Optimus and it was $300! So if I do mail it back they are only giving me $100 back and $200 as a gift card. That?s nuts
That's exactly why you need to e-mail customer service (or chat - but I find e-mail better) to ask them to confirm it is okay to use Canada Post.

I usually say something like "I did a quote for DHL and it would cost $300+ while Canada Post XpressPost with full tracking and insurance costs $XX (usually less than $100)" etc. etc.

I try to point out basically it will save them money to agree. Don't give up if your first response says no or is a form answer. You will get through eventually...
Old 02-29-2024, 02:46 PM   #7249
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

While out of stock, here are the links for the Amazon exclusive tf multipacks revealed today:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CSGV7SPQ?...ransformers-20

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CSH1QFHR?...ransformers-20
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 02:50 PM   #7250
alphatrion5
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
While out of stock, here are the links for the Amazon exclusive tf multipacks revealed today:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CSGV7SPQ?...ransformers-20

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CSH1QFHR?...ransformers-20
Were they available?

I missed the Joes as well, but I’ll watch GameStop for those

Last edited by alphatrion5; 02-29-2024 at 02:57 PM.