Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #21
mAk
Machine War
Re: Do some collectors scare you

Since getting back into Transformers in the last year or so, the collectors I've met in my city (Edmonton), for the most part, are pretty normal dudes with wives and kids, and don't really fit the obese basement-dweller stereotype. My wife and I have had a few dinner parties since we bought our new home. When guests see the "man cave" with all the Transformers and other action figures, they seem to think it's pretty cool and different. The Transformers are in Ikea cases (like many of you do) and they at least look neat and organized (nothing like the show Hoarders).
Old 06-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
chroma23
douchebag

is this thread flamebait or something?

there are families going to tfcon too: dads and moms bringing their kids. is that weird?

i personally dont see a difference between a 400lb sweaty toy collector, and another toy collector who is normal weight (or anorexic) and doesnt sweat as much. provided that they are not causing any trouble at the con, who cares?

but that said, u r free not to go to tfcon if you choose not to

to be frank, i am a bit like OP, but only in the sense that "I am one of those that keeps my crazy hobby to myself". but unlike OP, i still go to tfcon. for myself personally, i just look at toys, look for toys, hear out the 3rd party panels and announcements (it perfect fits OP's definition of "a bunch of adults sitting in a room listening to other adults talk about plastic toys"). there are aspects of the con that do not personally interest me, but in that case i just ignore it and enjoy the other aspects of the con that interest me, and when you are done for the day just go home. i do not talk much in the con, but i still go nevertheless. nobody says that to go to tfcon you have to act like those stereotypes that you are perceiving

BST on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47234
FEEDBACK on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=16129

Last edited by chroma23; 06-06-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
RageD
Energon

I have indeed met some weirdos at tfcon, one fellow in particular who pushed by infant son out of the way to get to a toy ( yes we had words and yes you know who you are) but to catogarize everyone as weirdos is unfair. Is anyone who likes sports a jock? What about anyone who enjoys collecting sports cards? Are they too basement dwelling weirdos? As someone else said, it's your own hangups that are projecting this negative view of the community. Might be time to seek some help with your self confidence issues.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #24
mAk
Machine War

Are you serious?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageD View Post
one fellow in particular who pushed by infant son out of the way to get to a toy.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #25
Deception
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugundam2.0 View Post
I have been asked if I go to the TFcon on numerous occasions and my response has usually has been, "meh a little to much reality for me"

I find it extremely strange for a bunch of adults sitting in a room listening to other adults talk about plastic toys.
I am one of those that keeps my crazy hobby to myself and actually have started caring less and less about this plastic addictions. For me to many people are like hoarders, overweight, no life, etc

Sure I like collecting but to me it would be less eerie for zombies chasing me down a street. Its a little unnerving that adults take this hobby a little to seriously

What are your thoughts
so what you're saying is that some collectors take this hobby too seriously? what's the difference between this or a world cup soccer game? those mofos start riots over that shit. a hobby is a hobby, simple as that. some people enjoy it more then others. now you're also saying that to you majority of us collectors are hoarders, overweight and have no life but that's not a slight against us? i don't know about you but that sounds like a diss from where i'm from.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #26
RageD
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAk View Post
Are you serious?!?
Yes unfortunately quite serious. Clearly he wanted that toy and he wasn't letting some rotten kid stand in his way.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #27
Wheeltron
Maximal

So to answer your question, no, no one is scared and no one finds it strange.

Participating out of boredom is so far removed from most people here who really enjoy themselves and are just looking to have a good time. There are all kinds of people here with all kinds of interests and I don't see anything different from this or other hobbies/ interest.

Sports merchandise or collectables? Who cares if you're enjoying yourself!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #28
skrilla 88
Jackass!

Anyone who knows the universal greeting by heart is crazy.

Last edited by skrilla 88; 06-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #29
Kristal
Machine War

Usually when it comes to other transformers fans it takes me a while to actually communicate because im shy as all heck with new people but i usually open up if i get a good conversation going.

But out of all the people i've met really i've only had 1 experience that was negative (it wasn't really TF related, but had to deal with Anime.) that was a guy i barely knew at a convention came up and hugged me and pretty much lifted me off the ground.

please do not pick up the little 5'5 quebecois artist please ;_;
Old 06-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #30
Nugundam2.0
Beasty

I see some are taking it very personal
But let me throw in some perspective. First to the question of normal. No I dont consider myself normal nor should you. I cant exactly talk about my hobby with my fellow directors. Nor can I speak to some of the politicians and affluent crowd I am going out with to dinner tonight about my last paint work. Why, well simple its outside of the norm. Its not normal for adults to go gaga over toys. People grow up. Now like I said, Im pretty self aware of my crazy and I ensure that I keep that in check and well under the radar. But to me some people just take this hobby a notch to far.
Closed Thread