Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Hhai
Beasty
Collecting Transformers Appreciation Thread

I've spent some time today printing various Transformers TV series logos, and then placing them on my shelves to identify what line each shelf represents. I'm looking at the results and all I'm thinking is “criss que j'ai du fun!” (translation: damn I'm having so much fun!). And so the idea came to me to start a topic where I. and other people I hope, could just say how much we appreciate this hobby.

I've been collecting for two years now. It began in march 2011 when I saw a Generations Thrust on clearance at Zellers. I bought it for old times' sake (Tfs were my favorite toy when I was young but I got rid of them at some point). And then I bought Generations Drift (“hey, there can't be a decepticon without am Autobot opposite”), and then another an another....

Oh god I didn't know then...

Didn't know then that I would have 150+ figures, filling two billy bookshelves.

Didn't know then this hobby would make me spend 3 days in a remote hotel in Mississauga just buying toys and listening to people who design, animate, write and care a lot about those toys.

Didn't know then I would spend hours watching countless TV episodes and reading comics, and finding out I still enjoy those characters and stories even if I'm 30 years old.

Didn't know then it would reconnect me with the little girl inside me and that it would bring back so many forgotten memories.

Didn't know then how many people around me would tell me how cool this is and how they wish they had the courage to do kid stuff like that.

Didn't know then how many women around me would tell me how cool it is for a girl to collect transformers and how they wish they had the courage to do non-stereotypical stuff like that.

Didn't know then it would encourage my girlfriend to collect herself, and that our TF and Pokemon collections would proudly stand side to side in our bedroom.

Didn't know then our wedding reception would be TF (and pokemon) themed!

Didn't know then I would spend thousands on this, but...

Didn't know then that I would have so much fun that I wouldn't care!

Seriously, putting so much time, passion and money on this hobby... sometimes I really think I'm a bit crazy and that I'm not putting my priorities in the right places. I'm sure most of you feel the same from time to time. And those times where I realise I spent $$$ on a figure I don't care that much about after all... ouch, these are the moment where the tought of selling it all come creeping back in my head.

But then...

I go in my room and fiddle with these little piece of design and engineering... these little pieces of ART, and I'm reminded how they made my life more colorful. And I rush to the store to buy another one!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
justprime
Animated
Re: Collecting Transformers Appreciation Thread

For me it was a different story,.... short of the story An industrial accident that nearly killed me and left me with memory and dextairity problems,.. Transformers helped to reabilitate a lot of this and allowed me some what to function again the plus side was an animated series(g1 forward) that I enjoyed greatly and a toy line that has become a passion and one close to my spark
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
tusko
Classic

I'm just a serious and conscientious person. I focus all day at work on "important" things in the sense that carelessness will cause loss of life or harm.
Transformers is pure escapism for me. The fiction and the toys are rich, and I love slipping way from reality for 30 minutes to figure out a transformation, or pick up the monthly comic. Its become a therapeutic ritual now.
And not to your level, justprime, I find transformer toys really help with my spatial reasoning and visualization abilities. More than meets the eye indeed.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Dynamo.Dave
Too close for missiles

It's definitely one of my best de-stressing methods.
I manage an office, and 9-5 doesn't exist, so the ability to come home and just turn my brain off for a couple of hours and play with them gets me in a good, stable frame of mind!

Nostalgia got me back into it (Energon Downshift - Wheeljack was always my favourite) but now it's just present-day interest.

Sparktoys Grimlock
FT Stunticons
FT Aerialbots

Dynamo.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

They helped me through a couple things, some know, most dont lol. But yeah, great way to clear your head so to speak

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

TFs are a great escape and are a collectable that has stood the test of time. As fans, we are blessed that they continue to thrive and are always being rebooted and available. Most often than not, there is a new and good cartoon on TV and (for the last 6 years) a live action movie in the works.

Add in the explosion of 3rd party products and we're alot more likey to be overwhelmed than bored.

I had taken a year off from collecting and it allowed me to catch my breath and enjoy the figures instead of scurrying to pre-order the next thing. It allowed me to realize I don't need everthing I think looks cool. The fact that I am able to skip FP Menasor blows my mind LOL. But I know if I started buying some of this and that, I'll just be where I was...buying but not enjoying.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

Ages 3 to 14, I had about 13 Transformers (G1 Blaster, handful of Micromasters). Now............................
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

I looked at my collection and I honestly don't know why I collect Transformers, my best guess is for the engineering and design that gets put into toys that become a robot and a vehicle(s) or animal(s). I started with Animated.

Last edited by FEZaid; 03-09-2013 at 04:07 PM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Ozrein
Stunticon

Great stories guys (and girls). My wife and I just cleaned out our 2nd bedroom which was just misc. storage; boxes, camping gear, etc. We then picked up a futon and a couple book shelves so now it's our toy room/guest room. I've been spending quite a bit of time in there over the past couple of weeks just enjoying the portion of my collection that I'm able to display.

It really has brought back my love for these little pieces of plastic. Where before I was only able to display random bots around the apartment, I now have two 6' tall shelving units to properly display some of my favorite lines. And my wife has a shelf between for her StarWars Lego collection.

I have to say it sure is nice to live in a world where we have the freedom to enjoy these 'kids toys'. Not to mention having some lines very much geared towards the adult fans out there (MP, Classics-verse, Alt/BT).

Last edited by Ozrein; 03-09-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Ozrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
Great stories guys (and girls). My wife and I just cleaned out our 2nd bedroom which was just misc. storage; boxes, camping gear, etc. We then picked up a futon and a couple book shelves so now it's our toy room/guest room. I've been spending quite a bit of time in there over the past couple of weeks just enjoying the portion of my collection that I'm able to display.

It really has brought back my love for these little pieces of plastic. Where before I was only able to display random bots around the apartment, I now have two 6' tall shelving units to properly display some of my favorite lines. And my wife has a shelf between for her StarWars Lego collection.

I have to say it sure is nice to live in a world where we have the freedom to enjoy these 'kids toys'. Not to mention having some lines very much geared towards the adult fans out there (MP, Classics-verse, Alt/BT).
Sounds like someone just acquired a Man Cave. A toast to you!

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote