Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Reveal the Shield Tracks

Now I know I'm the infamous "Ultra Magnus guy" on this site but another one of my top favourite Autobots from back in the day is Tracks. Corvette alt mode with a Firebird like decal on the hood? drooool. I figured I'd write this review for those who are in anticipation for this figure who will hit Canadian retail any time soon, and in honour of a certain customizer with a Tracks fetish who just turned 27 today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAK!

Onto the review!

Vehicle Mode:

First off I should point out that my Tracks has been modified. I removed the rubsign, and added an Autobot insignia over the tribal flame like decal. In person, it looks great, like the decal is popping out of the insignia! BURNING JUSTICE! lol People like to rip on this decal but I didn't mind it before. I liked that it wasn't exactly G1 like these toys are, new versions of G1 characters, so I liked the different direction, I just liked it more with the Autobot insignia being part of it.

Overall the vehicle mode captures the Corvette without being a Corvette. Since this isn't an officially licensed alt mode Hasbro can only do so much. He's got an added grill and missing the typical pair of double circle tail lights that the Corvette has, but all and all the look is still there. Huge hood, the humps over the front wheels, the angles and curves, low profile, wide frame, similar cockpit shape....really great. I constantly pop him into vehicle mode and drive push him around because the motion looks phenomenal with the spinning wheels and sleek design....sexy...just like Tracks likes it.

Comparison:

In alt mode he's about the same size as your standard deluxe, as you can see with Drift, they're similar in size. Though compared to a few others he's quite large. He's wide, and long, but thin, like a vette. It really gets impressive with the transition to robot mode...you'll see...

As one of my favourites, I do actually in fact have a G1 Tracks despite my usual avoidance of G1 toys. You can see the similarities of the 70's vette in this toy, as you can in modern day Corvettes. Long hood, small cockpit, similar decal. Coolness embodied.

Flight Mode:

Ok here's where the original toy wins. The G1 toy flight mode is thin...the arms look like jet engines...it works...I can tolerate it. Not the biggest supporter of the idea but hey...it's something extra some may like. The RtS Tracks's flight mode....mmmmrrrrmmmm...not that great. The doors pop down and rest lower then the wheels, as you can see the back end is sticking up in the air. When you look at it from the front and side, it just looks weird. Though I commend Hasbro for still including this in the toy, it doesn't work for me, but maybe it will for you.

In comparison though with the G1 Tracks the similarity is there. Wings are about the same location, missiles over the rear. It is a good homage.

Robot Mode:

Transformation is more or less the same as the original Tracks. Rear portion of the car becomes a backpack, 2 missiles over the shoulder, wings on the back, wheels on the front of the shoulder, cockpit on the chest, pull down the legs & swing them around, pop out the feet on the under side.

Articulation is pretty good overall but there is room for improvement. The knees don't bend enough and the head, though ball jointed, hardly has much difference looking up or down. Otherwise he's really good. Ankles that can twist, full ball jointed and rotating hips, great range of motion on the arms too (wrists swivel, ball jointed shoulders, double jointed elbows). My only real complaint with him is the backpack and how it clips in behind his his head as it isn't the most stable system, but it does work.

Comparison:

Now here's one more reason why I love RtS Tracks, he's got a huge alt mode and a short stalky robot mode. Much shorter then Drift and most deluxes...I don't know why but I really enjoy when figures do this. It's like a 3-D optical illusion "no way can something so small and portly turn into something so long and thin!"...but it does!

Also I like how you can pop up the missiles over his shoulder when he's in "stand by" mode and swing them forward for when he needs to be armed and ready. I'd like to add you can even store is gun where it stores in his vehicle mode (in the backpack), in his robot mode, so you don't have a gun floating around that has no where to go if you don't want him to hold a gun.

Hmmm...looks like a Police line up...that aside you can see how side by side the RtS Tracks captures so much from the original....except with a proper show accurate face and no mouth plate.

Overall if you're a Tracks fan, this figure is for you. He's great. One of the few deluxes in recent years that I've had difficulty wanting to put on display because I want to just keep fiddling with him. Even if you're on the fence about picking him up, get him because he will somehow impress you. A fantastic homage to G1 Tracks, with a modern alt mode, and probably the best Tracks molds we can ever get.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno
Re: Reveal the Shield Tracks

Any plans to get the United version?

It lacks the yellow on the sides of the chest in botmode, but the whole car is a shiny painted blue. Looks great in person.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Quantum
Uh-huh.

I've got the United version in the mail right now from Robot Kingdom. Love this mold!

There's also another flight mode that looks much better. It involves pulling the arms out of the trunk and tucking the hands in by the front fenders. The wheels then end up on top like the G1 toy, and the wings end up sweeping back on a bit of an angle. It looks really good, like it should have been the official mode. Can't really get any pics right now as my RTS Tracks has donated his arms for a custom, but if no one has posted the alternate flight mode by the time my United version arrives, I'll post pics.

Last edited by Quantum; 02-02-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Possibly, if the price is right. I already have the mold so it's not like there's much other then the shiny blue and original decal that differentiates this version from the United one.

It looks good but I don't think it's $30 good...that said I could get one of these for my display and keep one for fiddling...hmhmhmhmhm....

Don't give me ideas....

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
chans formers
raff ow roud

you're just biased cause it's a "gm"(unlicensed,but gm)
or....i'm biased cause it's not an import)

nice review,i can't wait till i can't find this guy on shelves the way calgary's stock is
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Good review. I will definitely be picking this guy up when he appears around here...

But first...Blurr...

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I have United, and damn is it a good looking toy! The shiny blue really makes this toy. Well, that and the painted on autobot symbols on the chest/roof and hood. The 80's "GEEWUN!" flame gets points with me too
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Quantum
Uh-huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
I have United, and damn is it a good looking toy! The shiny blue really makes this toy. Well, that and the painted on autobot symbols on the chest/roof and hood. The 80's "GEEWUN!" flame gets points with me too

Every one of those is a reason I have a United Tracks on the way from Robot Kingdom right now.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

everything looks good about this figure except for the flying car mode! horrible!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
onecoin
Banned

Was the Flying Car mode an intentional alt mode?
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reveal the shield