Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-06-2022, 03:24 PM   #11
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Is new pricing keeping you away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheoth View Post
Definitely!

I bought every release of the Prime war trilogy and Siege and Earthrise and early studio series. Now I've ditched studio series (except some '86) and cherry picking trough Kingdom.

When a leader cost as much as a new videogame release, I know where my money's going. I'd rather play 100+ hours on Elden Ring which will last me a few months, than get a figure that's going to get dusty then thrown into storage when next wave comes. That Blitzwing sure does look great tough.....
It's one thing to have price increases, but we went from $20 deluxes at the end of Prime Wars to $30 to start WFC. The line basically came out in 2019. Ten bucks per price point was massive, but especially for deluxes. Okay. fine.

Now, just three years later, we're at $37 dollars, 47 dollars, 77 dollars. Deluxes have doubled in price.

I get that crates from China cost a lot more. I get that there is inflation. I get all of that. But I don't believe for a second that this is all justified. I think it's clear that Hasbro has seen toy sales dwindle and is also using the price increase to gouge the die-hards and keep the bottom line seemingly "increasing." Artificial growth.

Anyway, whatever the reason... I used to walk into the store and be like, shit, I'll impulse buy this guy, or that guy. Easy. And if prices were 25/35 for voyagers, even STILL just at 30/40, I might do some of that. But I saw Tigatron at Walmart last week and... 47 dollars.

Can't do it.

Blitzwing is a huge bummer. I could totally overlook the negatives of the toy for 60, but not 80.

I'm naive. The days of walking out of TRU or Walmart with all five CW Stunticons for 110 bucks + tax are gone. But to now ask me to pay 240 for a Menasor that isn't going to conceivably be any larger or significantly "better" is ludicrous.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #12
Ozrein
Stunticon

Yes and no. I'm certainly more selective about what I'm buying but I'm still interested in some figures and will just have to pay the price for those particular figures. There are others that appeal to me but I'm passing on those, mostly due to cost.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I wish there is a "like" button in this site just like TFW2005, then I will click each one above.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:18 PM   #14
Autovolt 127
Animated

I'm not sure yet, I'll need to find different methods for the TRU/Target exclusive stuff though.
Add me on Discord: Autovolt#7759
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:23 PM   #15
MonstaBot
Sword of Fury=:p

Agreed!

If you're patient you can find great deals on used loose or still in package toys at thrift stores, specialty shops, conventions and even here on the boards.

I was at a vintage toy shop downtown last week and they had recent stuff from Siege to Kingdom with deluxes from only $10 to $20!!! Ugh! If I had only known. I already bought most of them these past years some at retail and some on deals but even the deals cost more than this shop! Best buys SS Hot Rod $20, Siege Cog and some random legends from Prime and WFC trilogies only $5 each and a MIB original BW T-Wrecks for just $40.

Same weekend at the toy show I got so many great deals on older and newer toys as well= Toys I paid waaay more for in the past or recently cuz I bought as soon as they came out. I did however manage to snag a brand new Kingdom Blaster for only $30 cuz the box was heavily creased but toy inside was mint!!! Also it was good toy karma cuz the dealer and I do biz with each other all the time = $30 gets me so nostalgic for the old days of affordable toys=;p

I was pricing voyagers at Walmart and did a double take when I saw the price $47+!!!! And the Cyberverse warrior class is $33+ Ugh!!!

You really have to be a hardcore 'collector' to buy toys at full retail these days... Daze= I get great deals here and there from my wheeling and dealing and hookups but even I sometimes fall for the lure of retail....I need to learn to curb my instant reaction of grabbing new stuff at retail as soon as they come out=:/

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Same as I said the last time this topic was raised:

-> thrift shops are your friend
-> make your own discounts (WM Rewards MasterCard)
-> pounce on any exclusives you are interested in, cause aftermarket only gets worse, not better

But actually I'll add a new one, a dream for the future:
-> let EB take Target's exclusives/Buzzworthy line so we can ditch TRU forever
MonstaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #16
alternatorfan
g1 baby
Thumbs up Re: Is new pricing keeping you away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheoth View Post
Definitely!

I bought every release of the Prime war trilogy and Siege and Earthrise and early studio series. Now I've ditched studio series (except some '86) and cherry picking trough Kingdom.

When a leader cost as much as a new videogame release, I know where my money's going. I'd rather play 100+ hours on Elden Ring which will last me a few months, than get a figure that's going to get dusty then thrown into storage when next wave comes. That Blitzwing sure does look great tough.....
No he doesn't, it's an eyesore. Short.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #17
Marcotron
Robot Master

So, I apologize if my constant posts about this subject are getting annoying, but it is a very important factor for me, in making Transformers purchases.

When the infrequent sale price is higher than the perceived customer valuation of the product, a purchase will not be made. And that's where I'm at.

I value a deluxe at $20, and they are now up at a variable rate around $36.
Voyagers held off the price increases, so I did get Cyclonus and Sweep at the $40 price, but $50 is higher than the value of that size class, forget it.
Leaders, I cannot fathom what makes them worth $85, when compared to recent voyagers that are literally the same size.
The last titan class figure I bought was Devastator, and got him on sale for I believe $120, which worked out to about $20 per figure. The high and increasing price of Fort max, Metroplex, and others have prevented me from considering them.

This massive price shift started with the Last Knight movie, when Hasbro started putting deluxes in boxes instead of blister packs, and charging $10 more for often the exact same toy as the previous film. Those dinobots from AOE were re-painted, re-packaged, and the price went up by $10 each for the same toy. You would think, the move towards more cardboard, and less plastic was a cost savings measure as well as an environmental one, but apparently not.

Just about the only figures I am considering purchasing this year, are the Bumblebee Kup, because my Titans return Kup has some floppy arms now after many play sessions with my children. And the legends class Daniel, because I need an exo suit for my display. I'm still disturbed that it's going to cost 17.99 for a simple tiny figure like that.

I am, looking forward to TFcon in the summer, where I always manage find fun older figures at a reasonable price to buy from great people who deserve my hard earned money.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:05 PM   #18
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Still the same approach since the last price hikes... I just plan to get those that seriously appeals to me.

The good thing about the present, is that with so much selection from the older stuff that's decently prices, IF you didn't miss the ones that exploded in scalper's pricing heaven.

I have managed to increase my collection so much in the last several years that I'm actually feeling content with all of the figures and characters that I have, and it would take miracles for me to rebuy any characters now... Blitzwing being a great example of how Hasbro can completely miss the mark and leave me happy with the TR version.

I had only a few figures on pre-order since the last increase, and now just one left (SS BB movie Arcee). Out of everything that's been announced, I look forward to see what's coming, but odds are very low that I'll end up getting more than maybe 1 or 2 other figures for the rest of the year as even some that may look decent, they are made too cheaply (transparent plastic painted over, too many quality issues, too many gaps, etc.) for the price/value.

Because of Hasbro going towards the cartoonish look and cutting corners like crazy while increasing prices, I hit the 3rd party market fairly hard lately and even then, never spent that much more IF even at all more than similar size/class figures but that are much better quality than Hasbro has done.

So yes, the pricing is absolutely killing my interest, but even more is the quality issues, the cheap feel that many figures have, the value that isn't there for the price... which includes the gaps and the lack of decent accessories. (heck, I just purchased 4 more kits to fix/finish 4 more figures so that they can be my "definitive" versions)

But also in the end, they just aren't giving much of anything that actually interest me or feels worth getting to add to my collection.

Funny thing is that I just bought a few more older figures on eBay in the last week, including today, for some that I missed out on many years ago, and even that's running out.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 04-06-2022 at 05:34 PM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:18 PM   #19
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Yep, I'm punching out for a lot of the new stuff now. It's not just about the price hikes. It's about bang for your buck. Compare a leader class from a while back to one now, and it's not even close. Back in the day I could literally beat someone to death with a ROTF leader prime. Today, it'd be like trying to hit someone with a ball of tinfoil.

I remember when I first started collecting again just after the first movie. There was a 30% off sale, and I got nine deluxe figures for around $100. I'd be lucky to get three now.

Charging more for less, I'm not playing that game.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:42 PM   #20
Atomicgarden
Generation 2

Yes and no. I’m not getting priced out yet, but I’m more selective now. I’ll still get my must buy, but those ?*maybe*? figures now I’m skipping and avoiding impulse buy, unless I stumble on a bargain/discount. I went back to collecting during WFC, so I’m on a mission now to complete a certain lineup of figures I want. Once I’m done, maybe I’ll be done for good. I might buy some figures, but I don’t think I’ll buy the WFC/Legacy guys again.
Atomicgarden is offline   Reply With Quote