Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 04-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Thormind
Generation 1
Opinion on mp-29 Shockwave

Just received my mp-29 Shockwave from Kooltoyz and i must say i am truly impressed. Nice esthetic, simple but interesting transformation and quality materials with some die cast. I hesitated a lot between buying Quakewave or waiting for the mp and i feel like i made a good decision. He is definitely one of the better figures in the mp line.
Thormind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
Megatron75
Alternator
Re: Opinion on mp-29 Shockwave

Nice to hear. I'm looking forward to getting mine.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
pside9
Beasty

Laserwave does a great job at hitting cartoon accuracy in bot mode. I wish he were a bit darker of a purple but I guess that is for a later repaint.

My particular toy has some QC issues with the inner left part of the leg not wanting to stay tabbed in and that mars the sculpt of the leg. As well as some scratches and scuffs on the paint on the other side of the leg.

While I didn't demand a perfect transformation, I'm impressed with it not resorting to parts forming at all even for the barrel. I love the play factor with its simple transformation and its lights.
pside9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Super cartoon accurate, no qc issues with it, great and satisfying transformation. I love him.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #5
Msol
Titanium

I love the head articulation especially. The very subtle poses you can get him into are great.

However... that colour is just way too light -- more than the cartoon easily.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
fishtifer
Machine War

Buying this MP was a very tough decision - get Takara's or hope for a repaint or Hasbros version (if they even make one). I passed on the first Quakewave, almost bought the re-release but couldn't decide between the darker purple or the really dark purple, then I saw a review and didn't like the flashing eye light.

I almost bought Cloud 9's Quakeblast, but then I found a MP 29 Shockwave on Kijiji for $160! The seller claimed he got buyers remorse after seeing reviews online and the box hadn't been opened. He didn't like the purple. It was obviously re-taped, but the figure was in good condition, no stickers applied yet and I hoped the purple would look better in person.

So now MP 29 Shockwave sits on my shelf with my other Masterpiece figures, I like that I don't have to turn a light on his head to see his eye light up, the plastic glows a bit when placed under lighting. The purple - Well, I'm glad I only paid $160 for this figure, and will be selling it if there is ever a repaint. I should have known better after getting the Henkei Cyclonus and Galvatron with their light purples. It's like Takara had their grandmothers pick a lovely shade of lilac purple for these figures.

There is a picture in the review at seibertron.com that shows these light purple figures together and it says "TAKARA TOMY: PLEASE STOP USING LIGHT PURPLE ON TRANSFORMERS TOYS!" - That pretty much sums it up for me. Glad I finally have a decent looking modern Shockwave, but I hate the light purple and weird pastel grey.

Last edited by fishtifer; 04-28-2016 at 10:19 AM.
fishtifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
protoform_ironhide
Commander

The articulation is just fine. I don't like the diecast being use on Shockwave, I worry about breaking the other plastic parts when I move or click the diecast parts when transforming him. And the legs are loose when you try to do a wide leg A stance. The panels on the left leg doesn't click in properly, with a small gap that is visible. I don't like how you have to try so hard to click in the head after pulling it out from gun mode to bot mode. The gun mode is lacking sound while there is only light, that just doesn't seem right to me. I never own a Quakewave before, so I can't really compare. The only good thing I can think of about him is that he is G1 toon accurate, but the purple still needs to be darker. Shockwave isn't as impressive as I think he would be.

Time to move on the Ratchet.. I think he will be great as Ironhide turned out impressive when he is in hand.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Ratchet is just white with a light bar different crotch wasn't that excited to get this and sounds like a lot of QC issues with your Laserwave mine is great and I love the purple they chose I am glad it is not a dark blueish purple

Last edited by Masta_Skidz; 04-28-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
Ratchet is just white with a light bar different crotch wasn't that excited to get this and sounds like a lot of QC issues with your Laserwave mine is great and I love the purple they chose I am glad it is not a dark blueish purple
Not really. I watched some YouTube review after, it seems like that is how the legs are design, that probably isn't QC issue.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

My MP-29 is fine with the legs. They were a bit tricky first but overall fine.

Size and scale are perfect in bot mode too.