Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #21
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: If you think the Siege Deluxe at $29.99 is absurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
I use to buy a lot of figures, either for troop building or customs.

Energon/Cybertron basic figures were what? $9.99? A typical sale would put it around $7.50.
(refresher: "Basic" figures were Insecticon, Skyblast, Scrapmetal, etc)

Today we have Lionizer, Firedrive, and Blowpipe at $7.99.

*sigh*

Siege Sideswipe goes for double what Universe Sideswipe did.

The current Legends class is slightly smaller than the old Basic Class, but costs $3 more.

Sigh, indeed.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #22
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

Yeah, my days of impulse buying figures are pretty much done because of the new price points. Nowadays I plan ahead for the ones I really want, and skip everything else.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #23
FreakNasty
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
Yeah, my days of impulse buying figures are pretty much done because of the new price points. Nowadays I plan ahead for the ones I really want, and skip everything else.

Same here...
FreakNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #24
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
I wonder how the U.S. fall of Toys R Us affected this?
Perhaps:

1- TRU Canada got scared and realized they need to jack up prices

2- Walmart & Target U.S. mostly took advantage of their huge toy market share, (now with competitor TRU gone), so they upped their prices.
...mostly because they can.

3- Hasbro got scared from the largest toy store's downfall and instead of streamlining toys and reducing prices, they listened to Walmart & Target and agreed to their terms for larger profit margins for all.

Now it depends on consumer backlash. Let's see how this goes.
Agreed on the fall of TRU US is a big issue on this.

We have to also remember that Hasbro took it on the chin as well. I'm sure the profits they were expecting from the Disney Star Wars films didn't hit their marks.

I have a feeling TFA toy sales did alright. They appropriately scaled back for Rogue One. But TLJ and Solo...

The stories and characters didn't resonate to too many of the people buying. Though I'm sure there are still some.

Remember the prequels? Sure they weren't as good as the originals, but people still wanted to buy all the Jedi, Clones, Droids, and Sith. The vehicles were alright too.

I'm sure it was a big factor for Hasbro to try and make up the losses from somewhere.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #25
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
when a leader just a few years ago (maybe 5, give or take) was barely 40$
Leaders have been $60 since at least Cybertron, hombre, and that's 13-14 years ago. Granted Leaders used to come with electronics, and were bigger, and used better plastic, but, still.

I honestly don't bother complaining about the leaders. $60 to $70 takes it from "too expensive" to "slighty more too expensive". 1/6 of the previous price, like 17% increase? Meh.

Voyagers too, retailers/Hasbro been trying to raise the prices on $30 figures for years now, and while a sudden 33% increase is pretty rude, the writing has been on the wall for a long time.

What really stings is the 50% jump on deluxes. Suddenly they go from the bulk of what I purchase, to the minority. At $30, $40, and $70, deluxes are the worst deal.

Unfortunately though, as this thread illustrates, it's simply a sign of the times. Prices going up on toys in every aisle.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
Marcotron
Robot Master

Looking forward to seeing you all at the Ontario Collector Con where we can bargain and haggle with dealers on all the old toys we wish we'd bought at retail when we saw them and shrugged because they weren't perfect for whatever reason, but yet still remind you of some G1 character you liked.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #27
Audetnelson1
Generation 1

i bought : hound,sideswipe,megatron,optimus,ultra magnus and shockwave.

but yes i also think price are ridiculous. i am not sure i will buy more siege this year... my collection started to move to masterpiece....
Audetnelson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #28
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
Leaders have been $60 since at least Cybertron, hombre, and that's 13-14 years ago. Granted Leaders used to come with electronics, and were bigger, and used better plastic, but, still.
Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but I did a bit of checking and before the "Leaders" term started being used (2003-2005 range for example), the very large figures such as Armada Tidal Wave for example was 25.99$ (so around 35 CAN$) which via inflation calculator would bring it to US $35.49 (still under 50$ CAN) and putting the new Leader class next to Tidal wave, and there's a freaking huge difference in size and general quality (but not in details, so I'll give the newer figures a win on that).

So even with a a 5$ flux, the leaders are at around 20$ over what they should/would be if they truly maintained their price via inflation rates.

So while I know that there's a few on here that believe that it's all good that Hasbro and the likes are inflating prices, I do prefer to be factual.

And as far as pricing goes, when they can sell a 150$ figure for 30$ on a sale (Power Ranger's huge Ninja Megazord this Christmas) and still make profit, the argument about "plastics are more expensive" (and all the other excuses) is an absolute lie as QC and such has been fairly poor for the last several series.

So, if you're happy to pay more, that is your choice, but some of us aren't happy about it and it is driving us away from buying more if at all at some point.

But if you like paying more, remember that once many stop buying, Hasbro and the others will end up bringing prices even higher to compensate, so I guess that's a win-win for Hasbro and those that like higher prices.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 01-15-2019 at 04:38 PM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #29
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but I did a bit of checking and before the "Leaders" term started being used (2003-2005 range for example), the very large figures such as Armada Tidal Wave for example was 25.99$ (so around 35 CAN$) which via inflation calculator would bring it to US $35.49 (still under 50$ CAN) and putting the new Leader class next to Tidal wave, and there's a freaking huge difference in size and general quality (but not in details, so I'll give the newer figures a win on that).

So even with a a 5$ flux, the leaders are at around 20$ over what they should/would be if they truly maintained their price via inflation rates.

So while I know that there's a few on here that believe that it's all good that Hasbro and the likes are inflating prices, I do prefer to be factual.

And as far as pricing goes, when they can sell a 150$ figure for 30$ on a sale (Power Ranger's huge Ninja Megazord this Christmas) and still make profit, the argument about "plastics are more expensive" (and all the other excuses) is an absolute lie as QC and such has been fairly poor for the last several series.

So, if you're happy to pay more, that is your choice, but some of us aren't happy about it and it is driving us away from buying more if at all at some point.

But if you like paying more, remember that once many stop buying, Hasbro and the others will end up bringing prices even higher to compensate, so I guess that's a win-win for Hasbro and those that like higher prices.

I think that price on Tidal Wave was from the US. That’s where I grew up, and up until Geberations what passed as a Deluxe was about $10-$12, Voyagers were about $15-$18, and Leaders were around $30. That was back in 2006.

As for the bit about this year’s Megazord, that’s TRU mate. Hasbro ‘suggests’ what stores sell their figures for. They don’t set the price. TRU pays a fraction of what they charge; when I worked for them back in high school they could afford to clearance an item up to 70% and still make profit. They pay Hasbro pennies for this stuff, cause they buy stock in the hundreds of thousands of cases. You can’t really equate what you as a consumer are paying for an item against what a mass consumer retail entity pays for them.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #30
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

For prices, I started collecting again around 2007-2008. This was the time of Transformers Animated. I can't speak for prices before that time, but back then Deluxes were around $15. Voyagers $30 Ultras were $40 and Leaders $60.

I just realized there's a way to confirm this. Just take a look back at the sightings threads. They have prices listed there. Popping into the BC sightings thread and checking out the first few pages and anyone can see what the prices were in Canadian.