Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
Soundwaves
Robot Master
Re: Everything Wrong with TFTM '86

Try comparing the dollars spent vs quality of film overall between the original animated and any baysformers film.

Even if you don't quantify the different eras, it's still a landslide for the original.

That soundtrack was fuming awesome for its time. Hair music was big.

There shouldn't even be a comparison.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
Jove
Nostalgia Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
can't even count how many times i've seen it. Hair metal is great, even better after a couple beers.
A beer (or 5) increases my enjoyment of many movies!
The '86 movie can be watched even without beer, and still be fun.
Jove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #13
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
... The tv show didn't setup the movie. The writer's for tv had little if nothing to do with the films creation.
You serious? It set up the entire Transformers universe.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #14
Roadhammer
Wrecker

It's a point of pride for me that I have seen the '85 movie so many times that I can, in fact, recite the whole thing, line for line, from memory. Damn proud of that.

I mean, it's not necessarily a GOOD film. It has a lot of pacing problems (Decepticons attack Autobot City on Earth, go back to Cybertron, then almost IMMEDIATELY go back and attack Autobot City on Earth AGAIN. And it literally takes like two minutes from Unicron devouring the two Moon Bases to the Decepticons showing back up to launch the second attack! Makes you wonder why they made such a big deal about needing to jettison so much dead weight from Astrotrain), but there's some quality animation, a great soundtrack, and some surprisingly serious voice talent involved. Though even I think it something of a travesty that Orson Welles' last role was Unicron. Man deserved better.

No Optimus/Megatron fight will ever be as good as their final battle at the start of the film. The Touch played at my wedding, and I consider "Dare to be Stupid" the soundtrack to my life.

My only really embarrassment concerning the film is that for years-YEARS-when I was a kid, I thought Cyclonus' name was "Bad Comedy" 'cause of when he and Galvatron crash Starscream's coronation, and Galvatron is like "Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy."

...I thought he was introducing his friend for some reason.
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #15
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
It's a point of pride for me that I have seen the '85 movie so many times that I can, in fact, recite the whole thing, line for line, from memory. Damn proud of that.

I mean, it's not necessarily a GOOD film. It has a lot of pacing problems (Decepticons attack Autobot City on Earth, go back to Cybertron, then almost IMMEDIATELY go back and attack Autobot City on Earth AGAIN. And it literally takes like two minutes from Unicron devouring the two Moon Bases to the Decepticons showing back up to launch the second attack! Makes you wonder why they made such a big deal about needing to jettison so much dead weight from Astrotrain), but there's some quality animation, a great soundtrack, and some surprisingly serious voice talent involved. Though even I think it something of a travesty that Orson Welles' last role was Unicron. Man deserved better.

No Optimus/Megatron fight will ever be as good as their final battle at the start of the film. The Touch played at my wedding, and I consider "Dare to be Stupid" the soundtrack to my life.

My only really embarrassment concerning the film is that for years-YEARS-when I was a kid, I thought Cyclonus' name was "Bad Comedy" 'cause of when he and Galvatron crash Starscream's coronation, and Galvatron is like "Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy."

...I thought he was introducing his friend for some reason.
My 3 top TF Battles of all time would be:
3rd place - ROTF "You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!". Yes, I LOVE it. Prime, for like 30 seconds is beyond badass here and I love that scene a lot.

2nd place - TMTF "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost" Cue amazeballs theme, spend some quality time watching your opposing leaders fight to the bitter end...for now.

1st place - May get flack for this but f**k it.
"The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic... for I now find that I have no choice at all! I am a warrior... let the battle be joined." Then Dinobot faces off against every single Predacon to save the future human race.
After all the movies, all the tv shows, all the characters, I honestly don't think anything tops Code of Hero. Beast Wars may be somewhat dated now but they weren't afraid to friggen write stories that were compelling, fun, didn't talk down to kids (for the most part). Something I find kids cartoons lack today.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:22 AM   #16
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
It's not a great piece of film cinema, and I don't care. I still enjoy watching it, I love the soundtrack, and I love the characters.
Yep. Despite what ever flaws the movie has, it has one thing that many blockbusters lack, and that's heart.

Point out all the plot holes and flaws, and I'll agree and laugh a long, but I can still watch it and get a lot out of it.

When I was little, I used to have this movie on all the time and could recite it line for line.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #17
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

May not be an amazing movie butI still enjoy it.

Course it's a lot better when you have an entire room of like-minded people who all like the movie.....like when I went to see Star Wars 7
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

The OG TF movie is the best, no comparison

Unicron's theme while eating planets

Megatron's attack force absolutely decimating that Autobot group on the shuttle, establishing his wicked

Kup transforming in midair to haul up Blitzwing's tank shot

Hot Rod using his car mode to drive into Galvatron & blind him w/ headlights during the last battle

Junkions driving each other as bikes, getting knocked down, transforming to switch driver/bikes and keep going

Hot Rod & Kup smashing up Sharkticons to a sweet OST

After a long siege on Autobot City, Optimus arrives, runs over a few guys, transforms, flips, takes out a few guys in midair, hits his feet shooting, and things start turning around, so badass

I love Beast Wars & Animated, but the Sunbow cartoon was a mainstay when I was a kid, and the OG movie was like the culmination of that, killing it then and even today
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #19
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Regardless of all the animation errors, plot holes, dated soundtrack, and whatever...

It's still the only Transformers movie that features Transformers, doing Transformers stuff, where Transformers are characters, with a couple of human allies along for the ride, where one of them is already an established character.

I'll take Five Faces of Darkness, Rebirth, TF Prime: Darkness Rising, and TF Prime BH: Predacon Rising as better "Transformers movies" over the live action ones.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
can't even count how many times i've seen it. Hair metal is great, even better after a couple beers.
+1

I've found that certain movies that I thought were awesome but are actually kinda meh (i.e., Commando, Return Of The Jedi, Steven Seagal's first three movies) are more enjoyable after a few whiskey/scotch/bourbons on the rocks.

Quote:
It's not a great piece of film cinema, and I don't care. I still enjoy watching it, I love the soundtrack, and I love the characters.
The soundtrack and the beloved characters are front and centre for me too.

It's one of the few soundtracks where I can envision the onscreen action in my mind (the other being John William's STAR WARS score).

My favorite playlist bicycling home from work is a combination of the 2007 soundtrack rerelease...

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TFTM_Sou...ry_Edition.jpg

and the 2014 score reissue

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8506/.f

...arranged in sequence to the film.

"Dare To Be Stupid" is usually my welcome home track .

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote