Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 09:29 PM   #11
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: holy crap transformers are expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Waiting and buying later, as opposed to the gotta have it first day of release, will stretch dollars further.
Respectfully disagree. There are few real sales. Figures that are in demand are often very hard to find if you haven't preordered. Folks are now scrambling to find a motormaster.

If you want it, pre-order is virtually a must or you pay MORE buying it later, not less.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:59 PM   #12
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Respectfully disagree. There are few real sales. Figures that are in demand are often very hard to find if you haven't preordered. Folks are now scrambling to find a motormaster.

If you want it, pre-order is virtually a must or you pay MORE buying it later, not less.
It's a gamble really. Some figures will shelf-warm such as the wave 1 of Legacy deluxes. Others sell out and never get restocked. If you're lucky, you can catch a pretty great sale on Amazon every so often where the shelf-warming figures are discounted at least 30%. But it's really uncertain to wait and see. Definitely preorder the figures that you actually want.

In Edmonton, I'm still seeing quite a few Motormaster's on shelves at TRU.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 10:13 PM   #13
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
It's a gamble really. Some figures will shelf-warm such as the wave 1 of Legacy deluxes. Others sell out and never get restocked. If you're lucky, you can catch a pretty great sale on Amazon every so often where the shelf-warming figures are discounted at least 30%. But it's really uncertain to wait and see. Definitely preorder the figures that you actually want.

In Edmonton, I'm still seeing quite a few Motormaster's on shelves at TRU.
I can believe it. Edmonton things. There's some chode on FB though trying to sell a loose legacy menasor for $550.

I'm kidding that doesn't make any sense.

If you for sure want it, pre-order is the way to go. It sucks. Lots of figures that, in the past, I would happily pickup if I saw them on the shelves or there was a sale. It's not much but I'm fully sound GameStop for the 10% edge discount.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 11:42 PM   #14
CyberDragon10K
Predacon Rising

Pricing is awful these days, yeah. Your wallet is hurting if you're not being choosy, waiting, or lucking out (i.e. sales) with your wants.
CyberDragon10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:52 AM   #15
TZX123
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Waiting and buying later, as opposed to the gotta have it first day of release, will stretch dollars further.

Netflix Soundwave disagrees unfortunately.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:17 AM   #16
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZX123 View Post
Netflix Soundwave disagrees unfortunately.
I think what he means is it all depends on how long you're willing to wait for that specific figure. A year down the road, two maybe, they might re-release the mould. OR, they come out with a newer, better version and you either get that or someone decides they want to sell the old one at a discount. Either way, you save money.

I missed out on Combiner Wars Sky Lynx. Couldn't bring myself to pay the $60+ on the secondary market. A couple of years later, Commander class Sky Lynx comes out. In the long run, I save $60+ because I didn't need the Sky Lynx right then.

Back in the day, I could not find Transmetal 2 Black Arachnia except on eBay for $80+. Made peace with the fact, I'd probably never own the figure. 10 years later, I walk into a shop, and there she is on the shelf for $40.

Those are just two examples of how real patience saves money in the long run. I'm not talking about days or months here. I'm talking about the real long game on a time scale of years.

I mean how many people have old figures that they were desperate for, now sitting in a bin, since a new, better version of the character came out that supplanted it? Willing to miss out on one figure will save money in the long run because, there's always something bigger and better coming down the line. FOMO, takes a chunk out of the wallet every time.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:22 AM   #17
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
I think what he means is it all depends on how long you're willing to wait for that specific figure. A year down the road, two maybe, they might re-release the mould. OR, they come out with a newer, better version and you either get that or someone decides they want to sell the old one at a discount. Either way, you save money.

I missed out on Combiner Wars Sky Lynx. Couldn't bring myself to pay the $60+ on the secondary market. A couple of years later, Commander class Sky Lynx comes out. In the long run, I save $60+ because I didn't need the Sky Lynx right then.

Back in the day, I could not find Transmetal 2 Black Arachnia except on eBay for $80+. Made peace with the fact, I'd probably never own the figure. 10 years later, I walk into a shop, and there she is on the shelf for $40.

Those are just two examples of how real patience saves money in the long run. I'm not talking about days or months here. I'm talking about the real long game on a time scale of years.

I mean how many people have old figures that they were desperate for, now sitting in a bin, since a new, better version of the character came out that supplanted it? Willing to miss out on one figure will save money in the long run because, there's always something bigger and better coming down the line. FOMO, takes a chunk out of the wallet every time.

Exactly.

However you really didn't save $60 on Sky-Lynx because if you picked up the WFC version you paid more than $60....... (kidding of course).

The vast majority of toys released nowadays, at best, hold their retail value. However many don't even hold their retail value. There is a small percentage that actually go up in value, and even smaller percentage that go up in value by more than 20%.

Waiting is the best option for getting a deal. However if you are collecting for value than why bother right? Invest your money instead.

If someone really wants the toy then preorder if you think the price is good.

I will say though, the long game was easier when I was younger. Now that I'm closing in on 50 I don't know that I want to wait years for a figure to drop in price on the secondary market. Good thing I have kind of had a change of heart in my collecting. I am more than happy to wait for sales now on many items, and I only preorder what I really, really want. Otherwise I am good without.

Although certain exclusives really do make it difficult.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #18
Gaming Turtle
Robot in Disguise

If you have a Gamestop near you, I recommend spending the $15 to get a Platinum Edge card (Gives 10% off loot/toys) and do any of your preorders there.

Saves some money in the long run and if you get enough points for an Onyx card you can get 15% off.
Gaming Turtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #19
Northerncrowe
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Frick that. I got this guy for just under $200 shipped from Amazon.com when he was on sale. Toysrus is a joke at this point.
Saw him in ottawa TRU marked down to 275, what a steal!
Northerncrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:39 PM   #20
lifedragon99
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaming Turtle View Post
If you have a Gamestop near you, I recommend spending the $15 to get a Platinum Edge card (Gives 10% off loot/toys) and do any of your preorders there.

Saves some money in the long run and if you get enough points for an Onyx card you can get 15% off.
You don't need near you. Online delivery to home is the best.

Tags
im poor