Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 09-24-2007, 01:21 AM   #111
Robimus
Iacon North Scout
Re: DAK's Customizing Discussion Thread

Here's some picks of my second custom Classics Dragstrip. I'm getting better and learning as I go, but still wish to improve a lot. I hope practice will make perfect one day.
I still have a bit of detailing to do but he is pretty much done. Still need to finish up his canopy a bit better too. Click to enlarge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1884.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	215

Name:	IMG_1889.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	216

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	217

Name:	IMG_1893.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	218
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #112
dak
Master Creator

That looks great! have you made the others or had thought of making them combine?
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #113
noodle
...in a cup.

awesome job! did you use spray paint or dye? also what head did you use for dragstrip?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 AM   #114
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak View Post
That looks great! have you made the others or had thought of making them combine?
Thanks, Dak. But baby steps is my thing right now. I've got my Runabout back a few pages and now Dragstrip. Runamuck is my next project. I'd love to do a few more Stunticons in the future. Maybe once those new molds of Sunstreaker and Sideswipe hit late next year. I'm pretty much just trying to get some good painting techniques down pat right now. The Mirage was easy to breakdown into components as his arms, legs, and head just pop of and on at will. The spray painting worked quite well to get the base color.
I dunno, could a classics Prime become Motomaster? Its certainly a possibility. Anything could happen. I've had my eyes on doing a little Huffer from a little Cybertron scout for a while as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 AM   #115
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
awesome job! did you use spray paint or dye? also what head did you use for dragstrip?
Thanks Noodle.Spray paint for the yellow and just a brush for some of the purple. The head was from a KO transforming dinosaur I picked up at biglots in the states. I cut some parts of the head off and used the rest. I really like how the head turned out.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #116
Spacemonkey
Energon

I'm using those KO constructicons to do a more accurate devastator. i'm taking the green and purple vehicles as principal parts and the red parts of the dollarama rainbow devastator (chest plate, waist plate and leg connection plate). I would like to paint those parts with the right colors and would like to know if you could recommand me paint type and colors for the green and the purple (color number or name, testors for example or other). I'll use a paint brush to do the job. I used nail polish remover to remove golden apps and plastic finition. I'm also thinking of buying stickers from reprolabel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KO constructicons 1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	304  

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11-02-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #117
dak
Master Creator

if you're willing to spray paint, use either krylon or a car paint. altho I don't think you'll find the right green in the car paint. If you're just going to use a brush, any model paint will do, I personally use Model Masters, or Testors. I don't know the right color to recommend to you. you would need to go to the store and just look or bring with you a constructicon and compare the paints to the real thing. There is a chance you might need to mix if you can't find the right color. Try looking for a lime green, or light green, and if mixing, a bit of white or yellow to mix in.

I don't really have a for sure answer, but maybe there is someone that has done this project before can tell you exactly what color they used? But one thing I do suggest, paint on a primer. There is a big chance the red color will show through, so you need to cover that up.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #118
Spacemonkey
Energon

Thanks for the info
Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #119
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I have 2 questions:

Does anybody airbrush for customs? I have seen a lot of customs, but my personal liking is Spencer's, since he airbrushes them with Tamiya paints. I don't know how durable the paint is (probably not much), but I don't know if it's significantly strongly with a finishing coat afterwards. I'm thinking of repainting a toy sometime in the future, so I'm hoping to get some ideas/tips on the basics of painting, and altho most people prefer krylon and handpainting, I don't really like it.

2nd question, does anyone know which Barricade toy has it's head with the closest sized-scale to the Alternator's toy line? Wondering about an Alternators Barricade.

Thanks guys, hope you don't mind if I'm all theory and no actions, kinda hard to paint in this time of year, and a small house.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #120
TTT
OutOfCommissionToys.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_rage View Post
I have 2 questions:

Does anybody airbrush for customs? I have seen a lot of customs, but my personal liking is Spencer's, since he airbrushes them with Tamiya paints. I don't know how durable the paint is (probably not much), but I don't know if it's significantly strongly with a finishing coat afterwards. I'm thinking of repainting a toy sometime in the future, so I'm hoping to get some ideas/tips on the basics of painting, and altho most people prefer krylon and handpainting, I don't really like it.

2nd question, does anyone know which Barricade toy has it's head with the closest sized-scale to the Alternator's toy line? Wondering about an Alternators Barricade.

Thanks guys, hope you don't mind if I'm all theory and no actions, kinda hard to paint in this time of year, and a small house.
Check it out its a custom Alternators Barricade I saw the other day...*I did not make this, this is not my custom.....*

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcusto...e.php?FID=4705