Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 27 - Triple cha cha cha cha changers

Here's a link to Transform Higher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3Z-9qBjOU

I've always thought Shania Twain was a Transformers fan. First she's got that song "Don't Impress Me Much" in which she askes if "you got the Touch?". Then there's her video for "Gonna Get Ya" she's chased by a giant robot, that actually transforms, on a planet similar looking to Cybertron inhabited by other robots.

"Getting anal with Ironhide" made me LOL so hard! XD

BTW, does anyone have a pic of "the lady in purple"?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
I'm pretty sure Jean's father from Victory is everyone's favorite TF mineralogist, as Swerve is a metallurgist. I don't even know if he's everyone's favorite, since Perceptor is also a metallurgist. But yeah, Swerve would be pretty cool to cover.
Darn it, you're right! I knew "mineralogist" didn't sound like the right word. But I still stand by my statement that Swerve is everyone's favorite whatever he is! Seriously, screw Perceptor.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
Getting anal with Ironhide
SIG'D XD

have yet to listen the whole way through tho sadly; had to get up for work lol
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
The prevalence of transformers references in rap and hip-hop is most likely due to numerous, complex reasons. Among them is likely the fact that rap/hip-hop is in its current incarnation a relatively new medium. Thus it draws on a more modern cultural and referential basis than in other genres. Basically, the "newness" of urban rap/hip-hop could lead to a larger capacity for the adoption of surrounding cultural trends and motifs, whereas other genres have at this point already established their own recurring themes, reference points, and lyrical trends. The willingness to draw from other cultural points such as other, often seemingly contradictory musical genres, historical and political events and commentaries, and even other mediums, such as kung fu movies, is readily seen in rap and hip hop, and is arguably one of its greatest strengths.
Quote:

It could also be that due to the more lyrical nature of the genre, as opposed to a more melodic nature, that to evoke response, it becomes more important to draw upon more concrete concepts, rather than emotional melodies. To do so, the artists, many of whom are young males (again, tying back into the newness of the genre) utilize what they feel is a universal cultural foundation for others like them, which itself is built on a zeitgeist that includes transformers.

Or maybe they, like us, just think transformers are cool and that dropping a shout-out to transformers in their songs sounds good. I have no idea.

Hmm...I'm not sure if the word you are looking for is newness, but I think I get what you are saying. And I would agree that much of the Hip Hop culture is derived from popular media of the time. Hence Chris Brown's song was released around the time of the movie and while it doesn't mean that Brown is a big fan per-se, it just means he likes money, which probably isn't far off.

But I think that in some cases The Transformers brand appeals to a wider array of cultures than other brands of the 80's like He-Man or GI Joe, because Robots aren't race specific. I can't think of a North American Cartoon, aimed at boys that didn't have a main character that was not White. Sure, in the G1 series the supporting characters were white, but the Main guys, the Autobots and Decepticons weren't specific and it stands to reason that younger boys of different cultural background would relate better to characters are like (or could be like) them. This could be also a reason why this property is one of the few properties that is both popular in Japan and North America.

Quote:

And what makes you think the jumping eyes were an animation error? Maybe they meant to do them like that. =P

Sure and maybe the Skinny seeker was suppose to be a girl.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
So you're asking for suggestions?
Well we're always open for ideas, that little mention at the end of the episode was to encourage more people to join in our little discussions here after the show. I'm generally curious to hear what people have say :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
New suggestions:
Ok....some of those should get done down the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
What are your thoughts surrounding Transformers and Hip Hop?
Is hip hop considered music?

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

you see the kids like the rap music that gives them the brain damage...with their hippin and their hoppen and the bippin and their bopin.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #17
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Okay let me start off by saying this:

So if you put a woman's wig on a man and spoon with them,that's not considered gay?No?Thank you David Bowie!

Okay,moving on,this was a pretty good episode,though it felt a bit short(Or maybe because time flew by very fast),either way I have to thank you guys on recommending me the Recon Ironhide and letting me stay away from the Forest Battle Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #18
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
you see the kids like the rap music that gives them the brain damage...with their hippin and their hoppen and the bippin and their bopin.
Ya see the kids forgot what THE JAZZ.....IS ALL ABOUT! Ya see Jazz is like jello pudding...no wait! It's like kodak film....no wait! It's like the new coke...it'll be here forever he he he he....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIIWonkoNemises View Post
So if you put a woman's wig on a man and spoon with them,that's not considered gay?No?Thank you David Bowie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPyuZ6ZTqmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZOfLYQvIk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIIWonkoNemises View Post
Okay,moving on,this was a pretty good episode,though it felt a bit short(Or maybe because time flew by very fast),either way I have to thank you guys on recommending me the Recon Ironhide and letting me stay away from the Forest Battle Prime.
Recon Ironhide is a great toy and if you don't have an Ironhide yet, this is a great one to get. If you do have and Ironhide...this is a great one to get

As for Forest Battle Optimus...sure he ain't out yet, but it doesn't take a clairvoyant to foretell the eventual disappointment this figure will be. Just look at these pictures.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:45 AM   #19
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Anyone else think the Black Eyed Peas new video for "Rock That Body" is at least a little bit influenced by Transformers, not to mention GI Joe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPBZsEpqGQ
Will.I.Am. is Destro. Fergie is the Baroness. And I can't help but be reminded of the Michigan City battle when I look at the city. Oh, and there's giant robots too.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #20
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

I would say so, it has a very "Mission City" feel and the legs of the white robot seem very similar to Optimus's legs if you removed the wheels, colours, and rounded them off. As for the get ups and guns....probably Joe, wouldn't claim to be an authority on that as GI Joe is oblivious to me :P

Tags
canadian slag, podcast