Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #31
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy
Re: Transformers and the TMNT Effect..

according to shmax.com g1 had 651 (repacks they count separately) so 350 isn't too much of a stretch

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #32
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Hasbro needs to use the Mattycollector model from Mattel: it's almost like mattel has 2 completly seperate divisions: one that creates short print and high demand toys for collectors, and the division for retail stores.

It would almost be nice if Hasbro had a 'figure of the month' club that you could opt in and out for new 'collector' figres mailed to your door.

That way we could have our collector division, and almost ignore the low-rent retail stuff. Just a small bit of seperation to weed out all the comon repaint-like stuff
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #33
justprime
Animated

I would just like to add that G1 is a single continuos story encapsolating the animated movie ,headmasters,Masterforce, Victory if you count the Japanese series etc. continuity. suffers and original story pushed aside to try and tie in (explain if you will) the transformers that came after the G1 line.... beast wars,beast machines another story,... different again from R.I.D. different again armada, energon,diferent again cybertron,and finally animated,.. each a different story making these not G1 but part of a multiple story line(using familair names) of different origins with the exception of the Japanese stories where they actuly tie together the beast wars with beast wars 2 and neo... still G 1 was a story unto itself
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #34
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Quite frankly you seem to have missed my point, the Beast Era repaints were not released in the SAME YEAR
Alright, since we want to play the technical game using the original 07 concept Camero mold there's only been 5 actual redeco of it, 1 of which was an actual repaint.

The Original
The Screen Battle version
The mucked up Evolution of a Hero version
The Allspark blue touched version
and Cliffjumper

and of those only 4 came out in 2007 (CJ was in 2008) and 2 were stores exclusives and specially ordered. I didn't miss your point at all, because the logic is flawed, regardless of the time difference those molds were redeco'd and repainted multiple times, and I wasn't even counting the 2 retools for Dinobot, and 1 for Waspinator either. So if you want to count the Japanese versions for those Beast Wars characters then we're up to 3 in 1 year, 1 short of the concept camero at it's best.

Quote:
Therefore I reiterate, G1 is the real success story, the true powerhouse, it lasted over 6 years 7 in Japan and included a multitude of Transformers in excess of 350+ individual figures.
Because of the new design on Transformers lines, none of them, EVER will be able to match G1. Unless you want to get picky and count Armada/Energon/Cybertron together as the Unicron Trilogy, but even then I doubt they match the sheer volume of G1.
I'd also like to point out the most obvious overlooked factor here....G1 STARTED WITH ALL REPAINTS/REDECOS!!!! Diaclone anyone? Even your defense using the Japanese lines is flawed as many of those were recolours from American toys that never made it into the fiction or retools! Hell all of Masterforce the only original molds were Metalhawk, Overlord, God Bomber, and the Scorponok re-tooled Blackzarak

Quote:
Hasbro has given us at least over 100 repaints in the line since 1984, I think it's high time they reconsidered that practice, don't you?
No, it's because of that practice they stay in business and give us more toys, I would like to know how you think they'd do better under your business model. By all means write one up for them and see how well it flies. They've been doing this for 25 years, in the business, we've been outside observers looking in. What in the hell makes people think they know better?!?

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 11-11-2009 at 01:58 AM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #35
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I wouldn't go around bashing Hasbro here either look at Fansproject for example

City Commander (Original, Shadow, Powered, Updated City etd)
Aerial Appendage Set (Orignal + Snowball)

Making moulds is expensive. They need to get their money's worth out of it.

Besides like others have said, this is nothing new. It's been going on since G1.

It boils down to one thing...

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T BUY IT. BE THANKFUL FOR THE OTHER AWESOME TOYS HAVE BEEN RELEASED.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #36
Richter
Nexus Maximus

I personally don't m,ind some repaints, especally if they are better: ROTF has had a lot of repaints, granted, but Thrust imo is better than Breakaway, as is Deadend better than Sideways

Also, that red baron repaint of Ransack looks friggin awesome.
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #37
RedOktobre
Alternator

A Summary of RedOktobre's Observations regarding Transformers Repaints

Facts:
  • repaints are a fixture since the Transformers Generation 1 line
  • repaints are cheaper to manufacturer
  • plastic is derived from crude oil
  • world's supply of crude oil is dwindling
  • repaints are a very controversial and a highly debated topic among the TF Collector community
  • certain characters, such as bumblebee, are repainted more frequently than others
Possible Hasbro Motivations
  • maximization of profit
  • minimization of costs
  • need to regularly release toys (TF figures and such) to maintain the lines's presence and marketshare
  • contractual obligations
TF Collector Responses
  • some dislike repaints
  • some like repaints
  • some are tired of numerous repaints of the same character
  • some tolerate repaints
  • some accept repaints

View my collection on Youtube at the raginroninreview channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoEydL-p6s

Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...800#post360800

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=2648

Disclaimer:
All statements or views expressed by the board member, "RedOktobre", are purely personal opinions which may or may not be substantiated by relevant facts. Any perceived insult resulting from opinions asserted by the said board member is absolutely unintentional.
RedOktobre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #38
Cyber-Kun
Machine War
Send a message via MSN to Cyber-Kun Send a message via Skype™ to Cyber-Kun

my biggest issue isn't repaints, it exists, some are great, some not. My issue is that we're seeing 7 Bumblebees at once that are BARELY different. Make one that's green, make one that's blue, SOMETHING.
Cyber-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #39
onecoin
Banned

This all pretty normal, I don't understand the big Kerfufel. I guess its just something too bitch about.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #40
justprime
Animated

How about this if you are going to do repaints /reissue why not some of the pieces that never made it to this shore? the molds already exist, softer pliable plastics so it meets the drop test(hate prime with short stacks and stupid long missles) the pickings could be from the last 25 years of figures instead of a 6 reissue of the combatacons(in various colors) how about a overlord or starsabre. we are not here to beat Hasbro I agree with Gmfan we are not in there business and they have been at it for a while (I rember Gi joe the original 12 skin heads) but I think a discussion.. such as this also brings to light what we the consumers are feeling at this time.as for the comment that Transformers are repaints of an original line Diaclone/microman .....I look at it this way The Transformers toys didn't exist befor Hasbro marketed them with a story so (and this will cause a rift) in my opinion that makes them the first of there kind although the molds were reused (battle convoy valkari etc..) they were only Transformers after the fact and except for pirated toys I have not seen these reissued as Transformers, its like saying animorphs were transformers,..as the saying goes just because it transforms dosn't make it a Transformer.justprime
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote