Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
astrana
Nexus Maximus
Brief NFS: Undercover Review

One of the board member Jaysmith asked me how is the game and I decided to write my own little short review. ( no spoiler)

First thing first, I am not a hardcore racing game fan. I like all kinda of games, like Gears of War, God of War, Final Fantasy, Shadow of Colossus... I loved Need For Speed Underground I and II, I would spend hours customizing my skyline ^^

Graphics: 9/10
the graphics is amazing, I am pretty sure they combined a lot real life sceneries into the background. The only thing to pick on is in some tunnels or shadowed area, it is almost impossible to see when u use slow motion.

Music: 8/10
Got variety of music from salsa to techno to rock n roll. I enjoy every track they played while roaming around the city.

Game Play: 9/10
This game is definition of free roaming. Everything is opened up from the start. The map is huge and very detailed. I can spend all day roaming around the city or on the endless highway. there are a lot of races, chekpoint, escape from the cop, cost of state( destroy public property while u have cops on your ass and you have to get away from them after) take the lead, sprint, circuit, highway battle, car heist.... haven't seen drift yet, but I am only few hours into the game, maybe they will have it later on. This game may not have as many cars as Grand Turismo, but it sure has a lot of nice ones. They are categorized in American/European/Japanese... now guess which ones are in it^^

Plot: ??/10
Well, the title gives away the plot already, Need For Speed UNDERCOVER. what more can you expect. But maybe they will have some interesting twist. So far it has been boring, but i can see they are building up for something. Plus they got hot babes like Christina Millian and Maggie Q. so I cannot give the plot a rating yet.

total: 8.6/10
If you really liked Need For Speed Underground I would say the game is worth every penny. If not, maybe should try rent it from somewhere and try it out first.
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
JaySmith
Banned
JaySmith's Ebay Auctions
Re: Brief NFS: Undercover Review

Interesting.... I absolutely LOVED Need for Speed: Underground, Need for Speed: Underground 2, and Need for Speed: Carbon, but had read many reviews that this game was utter garbage.

Main reason was apparently the free roaming feature wasn't really anything more then something to run away from police with, as you couldn't race rivals, you couldn't drive to different race locations, etc. much like you could in Need for Speed: Underground.

If this game comes down in pricing, I might just have to pick it up. lol
JaySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
onecoin
Banned

I don't generally follow reviews. Especially, for racing games. Too many are Pro Grand Tourismo, and don't seem to care about anything else. I played this and Midnight Club LA. I ended up picking up Midnight Club. I liked NFS UG 1 and 2, Hot Pursuit and Porsche. I don't know why I didn't like this, but I was surprised myself. Midnight Club isn't the best either, but its fun.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
astrana
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
Interesting.... I absolutely LOVED Need for Speed: Underground, Need for Speed: Underground 2, and Need for Speed: Carbon, but had read many reviews that this game was utter garbage.

Main reason was apparently the free roaming feature wasn't really anything more then something to run away from police with, as you couldn't race rivals, you couldn't drive to different race locations, etc. much like you could in Need for Speed: Underground.

If this game comes down in pricing, I might just have to pick it up. lol
Run away from cops is really fun and challenging. You cannot pick random race with cars on the streets, but i never did in underground anyway. you can drive to different race location if you like, there was not a specified destination but more of a general area for certain race. my defenition of free roaming is drive where ever I like, when I played Underground I always used the instant race starter.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Which console version of the game are you reviewing about? Games nowadays have 3-5 console versions for each title.

I'm sure how close it is to the Carbon series, but getting to 93% completion on NFS Carbon: Rule the City on the PSP was really repetitive.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
astrana
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
Which console version of the game are you reviewing about? Games nowadays have 3-5 console versions for each title.

I'm sure how close it is to the Carbon series, but getting to 93% completion on NFS Carbon: Rule the City on the PSP was really repetitive.
xbox 360. well, it is a racing game, u do nothing but race. it is about personal preference. I just watched the brutal review on IGN. to be honest, I think the guy has no idea what he is talking about.

first, need for speed has been a action chase and run from cop way back from PSI, and that is what made the franchise appealing to the gaming world. the guy did the review said all you do in free roaming is chased by cops, well, duh....no shit....

I lol'd when he said at the end "if you want a solid racing game go for midnight blub or burnout", the funny thing is burn out is abour crashing, not racing. also if somone want really racing racing game, why bother with other games when you have grand turismo
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

The NFS Carbon series was interesting w/ the crew feature for assassins, drafters and wreckers, I'll admit that. But after playing like 30 circuit races or sprints, you have to admit it gets boring.

I can't judge too much, I've only played a recent NFS title on the PSP, I just really missed the other NFS features from other series or titles, like drifting or stunts.

The only reason I'd get this game is because of Maggie Q, lol.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag

I have this game for PS3, IT ROCKS!!!!

Playing Cops n Robbers online is loads of fun. The only issue I have with this game is that the frame rate suffers just a tad. Tends to slow down for just a couple of seconds every now and then.
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

i'm getting this now. thanks for the review
Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
venksta
Render Project Creations

According to my friend at EA Black Box (where I use to work), the game is a big disappointment for the studio, especially after Pro Street.