Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #2101
Hangfest
Generation 1
Re: Walmart.ca Transformers Sightings and discussion

CMD also has the worst shipping rates by miles and no free tier.

Just for kicks I added Blaster to my cart on the CMD site and the lowest priced rate, Canada Post regular parcel, is $25(!) to ship from Montreal to Halifax (this makes a voyager figure $84 after tax). Purolator 2 day ground is $75.

For comparison, rates from somewhere like Toy Snowman for similarly sized items (Montreal to Halifax) are $11.99, or free if I exceed $100. Their priority express rate is $29.99.

Their base shipping option seem like they are charging the regular Canada Post parcel rates for individuals, rather than small business volume rates. Given all their other price gouging I wouldn't be surprised if they are padding their income this way as well.

CMD is a bum deal when it comes to prices and practices so unless it's a desperation play for something not available anywhere else, or you just don't care about money, I'd say avoid them. But that's just my personal feelings on it.
Hangfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:43 PM   #2102
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetyme View Post
Toys R Us are now scalpers too no?
No.

TRU was just the first one the implement increases that are coming from every retailer.

Walmart is likely the only one who can hold off for some time due to their buying power.

After closing the US stores, TRU doesn't have much sway with distributors, importers or freight forwarders.

They did it first and did it across the board instead of on only new product though. They have to deal with USD/CAD exchange in a way none of their large competitors do.

CMD will, as previously discussed, buy up clearance items from retailers (instead of them being available to people like us) and then jack up the price after creating their own market.

That's what scalping is.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:46 PM   #2103
delrue
Crossover

So a corporation can raise prices across the board and it's fine but if an individual does it it's a moral failing of that person or business?
delrue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #2104
random11
Generation 1

can we not have a flame war about price hikes again please
random11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:37 PM   #2105
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
No.

TRU was just the first one the implement increases that are coming from every retailer.

Walmart is likely the only one who can hold off for some time due to their buying power.

After closing the US stores, TRU doesn't have much sway with distributors, importers or freight forwarders.

They did it first and did it across the board instead of on only new product though. They have to deal with USD/CAD exchange in a way none of their large competitors do.

CMD will, as previously discussed, buy up clearance items from retailers (instead of them being available to people like us) and then jack up the price after creating their own market.

That's what scalping is.
Tru isn't doing Hasbro mandated price hikes. They're just jacking up prices

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:45 AM   #2106
GodzillaPrime
Generation 1

Quote:
No.

That's what scalping is.
To some point yes but not fully TRU is at a way higher price point( even the new msrp )
Deluxe are ment to be 36.99
This clip explains new msrp for canada
https://youtu.be/6lRSzxKJj2U
GodzillaPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:33 AM   #2107
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansakWORK View Post
They, like all sellers on the failed Walmart online site jack up their prices to cover the crazy cut Walmart requires when selling on their site. If you want to rant on anyone it would be Walmart.

If you also want to call them scalpers then you need to start calling out some of this sites sponsors on their prices too. Some are literally charging more than CMDstore.
CMDstore would probably be able to save their reputation a bit if they CHOSE not to list their stuff on Amazon and Walmart at their extortion prices.

Haha! JK, they'd need to invent a time machine and go back to save their garbage reputation. They're almost as bad as NMC. I hope they go out of business.
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #2108
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Tru isn't doing Hasbro mandated price hikes. They're just jacking up prices
You just have no clue.

A container that cost 2500 USD 2 years ago to bring in from China now costs 16,500 USD.

You know the inflation they keep talking about?

Walmart also had a huge amount of US dollars coming in, Tru, not so much.

Adjusting pricing due to your own increase in costs is one thing.

Buying up inventory and creating a false market is another completely.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:31 PM   #2109
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

Adjusting pricing due to your own increase in costs is one thing.
But... a lot items that went up in price at TRU were items that have been on shelves for over a year, so they did not have increase in shipping cost?

I can understand if a new item cost more, but why should something that has been sitting on shelves for over a year?
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:39 AM   #2110
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
But... a lot items that went up in price at TRU were items that have been on shelves for over a year, so they did not have increase in shipping cost?

I can understand if a new item cost more, but why should something that has been sitting on shelves for over a year?
Because their accountants and financial advisors told them to do so.

For many of the reasons mentioned above, TRU seems to have applied the new pricing that will hit everything in the market alot earlier than their competitors, annoying customers due to their inflexible price management system and a tough economy. Their SKUs are all linked to one product line after attempting to categories each figure by its own SKU and failing...so this is the end result. My phone plan will go up by 40% for example in May in one shot...likely this will happen with everything by that time. Its horrible for cost of living but its not going to be restricted to TRU unfortunately. The comments above about WM's power in the market is something to really consider when weighing whether you wish to support larger companies or smaller retailers in the end..to each their own.

Thanks for the interesting chat and everyone's input on these issues. Happy Hunting!
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walmart