Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Seriously? Transformer protection plan?

It always bugs me when I'm buying a DS game and the guy at EB offers me their extended warranty plan. I could understand if I was buying something for a disc-based system (although I'd still never buy the warranty, as all of my game discs spend 100% of their time either in the system, in a case, or in my hand being moved between the system and a case) but cartridges are practically indistructible.

Still, there must be enough people stupid enough to say yes if they keep trying to sell them.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #22
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

[quote=aximili;139807]...Anytime in the next 15 months if something breaks you can bring it back and we'll give you a new one....

See now this part is interesting. By insuring the product, would that potentially guarantee you to get the exact same figure? Or would they just shovel you something of equal value?

I mean, if I were guaranteed to get the exact same figure MISB from the store without waiting after 15 months of making my purchase, regardless of the way or reason that figure broke, that might be worth it.

But then we all know its a bunch of crap. They would most likely NOT have the exact same figure in stock since waves change as seasons pass.

And on top of that they'd claim some crap about restrictions on replacement so they wouldn't honour the replacement plan to begin with.

This sort of plan would make sense for a bicycle or a power wheels car or one of those barbie tv and dvd combo set things. There you're paying a whole lot more and for the function as opposed to the form. I mean you'd get a different bike that's worth the same, or a different tv-dvd set with barbie on it. It works the same, and thats what you've paid for.

But then action figures are a way different category. A specific figure is what you purchased, and just because another figure is the same price and size does not make it equal. And that's the reason I never liked the price/size point idea in the first place. Each figure should have its own inventory slot, just like the cupboard handles in the hardware sections at department stores. People get pissed off because a store runs out of a chrome drawer knob, and the store doesn't say that they won't order more because the other knobs arent low enough. No, they order the frickin 30 cent door knobs. You run out of hot-rods, you replace hot-rods. And you only spend money on the figures that move, so you don't end up clogging the whole area with shelf-warmers, just single pegs. But that's a whole other rant.

So no, they would not get my money for insuring action figures (though they'd probably get it for a bicycle or other intricate expensive item that's likely to be used and abused, or exposed to the elements). Although I may ask the teller about it extensively just to point out its flaws. I know I shouldn't, because they're told to push the stuff, but I'd probably do it anyways.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
It always bugs me when I'm buying a DS game and the guy at EB offers me their extended warranty plan. I could understand if I was buying something for a disc-based system (although I'd still never buy the warranty, as all of my game discs spend 100% of their time either in the system, in a case, or in my hand being moved between the system and a case) but cartridges are practically indistructible.

Still, there must be enough people stupid enough to say yes if they keep trying to sell them.

I'll only buy the warranty at EB for used games on cd/dvd, since I've been burned a few times with coasters. Plus, often they replace it with a brand spankin new MISB off the shelf version of the same game. Which is pretty sweet.

Last edited by Shepp; 06-01-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Wow.

Seriously? A protection plan?

I understand when a figure breaks after a few months of heavy use, I don't expect the store to refund my money. But if it breaks right out of the package I just tend to return them to where I bought them with little hassle.

And I'll continue to do the same.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #24
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
I'll only buy the warranty at EB for used games on cd/dvd, since I've been burned a few times with coasters. Plus, often they replace it with a brand spankin new MISB off the shelf version of the same game. Which is pretty sweet.
If you buy a game and it's a coaster to begin with you can get a replacement even without the guarantee as long as you return it within 2 weeks.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
If you buy a game and it's a coaster to begin with you can get a replacement even without the guarantee as long as you return it within 2 weeks.
It probably wasn't EB Games, its been a long time. But as it was, they only ever did a quick visual check on the discs there before ringing it through. If the disc looked buggered they wouldn't sell it. And offered no guarantee beyond that whether the disc would work or not. Sales were final on used games.

But hey, even with the protection plan those games were still less than half price, even with the tax on top of that.

As I said, its been a while. I stopped picking up cheap used games because of all of the DRM crap for PC games. I don't think most of those kind of places even carry used PC games anymore.

Last edited by Shepp; 06-01-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #26
Razorwing
Robot in Disguise

Yeah I got asked aswell. I said no.

ROTF Owned: LDR Prime, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Soundwave, Rampage, RH Prime&Blackout, RH Bumlebee&Longhaul, LGD Prime, LGD Jetfire, Knockout,Ransack,Breakaway, DepthCharge,Skids, Mixmaster, HA Bee, Scapel, LDR Jetfire, Ravage, Mudflap, Ice Cream Twins, and Jolt.
Razorwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #27
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

i got asked for darkwing, i said no, kind of like wtf? but never asked anything about it

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #28
Iron Moose
Knows things

I was asked - I declined. We may see it as a money-grab, but at the same time, I contemplate the fragility and complexity of the new movie toys, combined with the marketing push of the movie itself, and can't help but think that it's a good idea.
Iron Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #29
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

I never got asked.
Now I'm worried something horrible will happen to my figure sitting on the shelf. What shall I do??!??

Yeah, this seems kind of silly for something like this. Is there any info on the fine print for the protection plan? I've only done it for hard drive based electronics (and cashed in twice). Overall I just don't see them as being worth it.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #30
astrana
Nexus Maximus

lol... this is ok, the worst is bestbuy employee asking me if i want to pay 200+ bucks for a 3 years protection plan on my 360 when 360 has a 3 year protection plan from microsoft

bestbuy should fire Xzibit.. "Yo Dawg, I heard you like Protection Plans..."(someone continue)
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote