Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Commandoclone87
Seeker
Question First time Modder.

After just picking up ROTF Superion and seeing the Fansproject add-on kits, I realized how much better Hasbro could have done with this toy.

Since some add-ons and upgrade kits and kitbashing are way out of my price range, I was looking at using Green Putty from Games Workshop to manufacture my own custom parts to Superion. Mainly modding the wings on Air Raid/Airazor so they are more F-22 like and making mods to their legs so that Superion has a proper sized forearm.

For hands, would like to create jointed fingers that can grasp and then extend into faux missles/guns under the wings in vehicle mode.

As I want to eventually move into full limbs and other parts, my question is, will Green Puty be strong enough to make hands and wings from.

If not, what would be a suitable material to sculpt custom parts from?
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
joshimus
Metroplex
Re: First time Modder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
After just picking up ROTF Superion and seeing the Fansproject add-on kits, I realized how much better Hasbro could have done with this toy.

Since some add-ons and upgrade kits and kitbashing are way out of my price range, I was looking at using Green Putty from Games Workshop to manufacture my own custom parts to Superion. Mainly modding the wings on Air Raid/Airazor so they are more F-22 like and making mods to their legs so that Superion has a proper sized forearm.

For hands, would like to create jointed fingers that can grasp and then extend into faux missles/guns under the wings in vehicle mode.

As I want to eventually move into full limbs and other parts, my question is, will Green Puty be strong enough to make hands and wings from.

If not, what would be a suitable material to sculpt custom parts from?
Get Styrene as it is a plastic and likely going to be stronger than putty. I'm still learning how to use Styrene myself but from what i've seen here people seem to like it a lot.
Modellers Choice carrys it though it is expensive. I know a guy so I got a large roll for far less than retail prices...which is good cause having scrap pieces to work with means money well spent and not wasted.
I am working on making a diorama for one of my custom Gremlins 2 figures using Styrene and few other things as well. Give it a try would be my suggestion. Sculpey is fine and dandy for small fragile things you dont play with, but not longterm imo.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Commandoclone87
Seeker
Re: First time Modder.

Thx. Got a store in Fredericton that sells Evergreen Styrene rods, strips and tubes in 10 pc packs for around 3-4 dollars
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote