Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #3381
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus
Re: BC Community Thread For Non-Sightings Chat

lol, is that the baseball video? I read about that earlier. But sucking at sports isn't nearly as bad as making tacky social faux pas.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #3382
Corvicron
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
My random rant about clueless, ignorant "new" celebrity cashing in on a dead rock god.

http://style.mtv.com/2013/07/15/katy...nce-interview/

“Killer Queen has been in my vocabulary since I was 15, because of the song ‘Killer Queen’ by Queen. Freddie Mercury painted the lyrics of this woman who I wanted to be. She seemed very powerful, and she captivated a room when she walked in. I named my company Killer Queen after those lyrics. I feel like, after all this time, it was appropriate to use that name in association with something I did. I feel like I’m falling, finally, into that woman Freddie painted.

Wrong cake face! Freddie Mercury himself explained Killer Queen in an interview : " It's about a high class call girl. I'm trying to say that classy people can be whores as well. That's what the song is about, though I'd prefer people to put their interpretation upon it - to read into it what they like."

Killer Queen was released in 1974. A whole 10 years before Katy Perry was born. It would be 1999 when she was 15. Freddie Mercury's been dead since 1991.

So yes Katy Perry is a whore Freddie Mercury was referring to.
I think your being hard on her for that. Songs are open for interpretation too. It may be what she got from the song, as opposed to the real content. And she's not compairing herself to him, just being inspired. She makes music that is a trifle by compairson but she still has respect for the people who came before.
Corvicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #3383
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvicron View Post
I think your being hard on her for that. Songs are open for interpretation too. It may be what she got from the song, as opposed to the real content. And she's not compairing herself to him, just being inspired. She makes music that is a trifle by comparison but she still has respect for the people who came before.
Was it hard? Maybe, maybe not. I was stating the fact. Her quote and Freddie Mercury's quote. Freddie himself said he "prefer people to put their interpretation upon it - to read into it what they like".

However I do have a thing about newcomers using old/dead artists' names to gain their own fame, either knowingly or unknowingly. But they don't even understand the meaning or hidden meaning. Another example: Lady Gaga credits her stage name to Queen's song Radio Ga Ga saying "I adored Freddie Mercury and Queen had a hit called 'Radio Gaga'. That's why I love the name." Did she know the song Radio Gaga was conceived as a contemporary criticism on the radio and TV program back in those days? The song was supposed to be called Rado "Ca ca" (caca being Latin/Romance word for "shit").

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 07-16-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #3384
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Heh, Lady Caca.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #3385
Corvicron
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Was it hard? Maybe, maybe not. I was stating the fact. Her quote and Freddie Mercury's quote. Freddie himself said he "prefer people to put their interpretation upon it - to read into it what they like".

However I do have a thing about newcomers using old/dead artists' names to gain their own fame, either knowingly or unknowingly. But they don't even understand the meaning or hidden meaning. Another example: Lady Gaga credits her stage name to Queen's song Radio Ga Ga saying "I adored Freddie Mercury and Queen had a hit called 'Radio Gaga'. That's why I love the name." Did she know the song Radio Gaga was conceived as a contemporary commendation and criticism on the radio and TV program back in those days? The song was supposed to be called Rado "Ca ca" (caca being Latin/Romance word for "shit").
I think she may. Of all pop stars she knows she is a spectacle and she manufactures it. She made more honest music before when she was just some girl with a keyboard. She transformed herself and took the moniker to be a product and she knows it. At least no ones saying they are More Popular than Jesus.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #3386
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvicron View Post
At least no ones saying they are More Popular than Jesus.
Back in the '90s when the Manchester sound was threatening to overtake grunge on the pop charts The Brothers Gallagher (a.k.a., Oasis) said they were more bigger and better than The Beatles. In retrospect, that was a lofty claim if one takes into account the tier they placed themselves upon, eclipsing both John Lennon and Jesus Christ!

Why the scowls, mate?
No one said having egos was fun...ya twat!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #3387
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

Oh those Gallaghers... such enormous douches. They belong to a long line of whiny, tantrum-throwing, inflated-ego rockstars... Billy Joe Armstrong, anyone?

They've got nothing on Chris Brown though. Want to sign a petition to prevent him from headlining a Halifax music event? I did.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #3388
Corvicron
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
...eclipsing both John Lennon and Jesus Christ
Isn't John lennon the music Pope?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #3389
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbenvost View Post
They've got nothing on Chris Brown though. Want to sign a petition to prevent him from headlining a Halifax music event? I did.
Signed...though I wish there was a compantion peition to get Rhianna's head checked for taking that chode smoker back...

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #3390
kirbenvost
Fortress Maximus

^ They broke up again and she's seeking a restraining order, apparently.

Who are God and Jesus if Lennon's the Pope?

We have the King of Pop and the King of Rock & Roll...