Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: ShelfLife.net: COLLECTOR WARS: Win MP Soundwave/G1 Bruticus or $$$

Yeah, werevenom, to clarify my post about pics isn't aimed at anyone in particular - as you may know we curators can't see who has uploaded photos. I'm sure that curators have read and are abiding by the rules in terms of pictures.

I'm just concerned that in the rush to collect points some people might be submitting pics they google without being sure 1) the item is the right one; 2) we're allowed to use pics from that site.

Ultimately curators can remove photos of the wrong item, but it might be more difficult to figure out where the picture came from - that's not something a curator can check. I only presume mine were googled because a google search brought up the same pic.

My concern is limited to the picture issue because that's the one I've identified impacting my catalogues.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

No worries about that but there is a loophole to that. Curators control the pics that are uploaded but who controls the curators? (and there is a reason for that question beleive me). Besides it was more of the nightviper being called a scalper that set me off to the whole thing. People can ask for whatever they want price wise but having to bring it up here isn't right. I mean this thread was for questions concerns and things of that nature, not to start critisizing people. If I really wanted to win that bad I would just want everything under the known sun (which I do but who the hell coud afford it lol) Anyway no worries
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
roballan
Machine War

Just as a technical note- it would seem my banner doesn't reflect the same level of collector my account says I'm at (3 vs 4). Just an FYI in case there's anything to troubleshoot there

roballan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

If you just got it, it might not be updated yet, takes 4 hours roughly

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Hey guys,

A couple of quick notes specific to the contest:

1) To everyone racking up legit points, building community and helping to make the site great, much love!

2) To those who are openly testing what they can get away with, we've been watching the whole time and we'll be removing points where necessary as fairly as humanly possible

3) A few things to be aware of:

a) Pics must be legit. Don't steal them from other fan sites, don't upload duplicates, don't take a million pictures of the same thing unless the angles are useful, etc.

b) Hundreds of wants and haves in the same week are not legit in 99% of cases. Don't expect those to last.

c) Anything else that looks out of place will be dealt with and points will be lost. Remember we are here collectively to help the system, not game the system. This community works on real info. Don't bother with fake and all will be well. You might not fake win the contest, but that's ok, because a die hard curator or referral master will and that's the whole point. Let the people who are working hard see the rewards.

Finally, we know the process is imperfect because this is the first season but we've got tons of upgrades and fun spins on this to explore so bear with us...you'll be happy you did.

Cheers,

James & Team ShelfLife

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #16
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTwistR View Post
Someone else is also getting a lot of shill points by putting flags on every single item in one of my catalogs. Majority of it is for things that simply boil down to preference, like the picture for figure "x" should show this item instead of that item. Possibly the person who uploaded a pic didn't have the main figure. Also, they outright have no clue what they are talking about as one figure lists a detachable item as an accessory since they can be removed without excessive force and conceivably become lost. However, this same person has said they are attached and the accessory item should be deleted.

I really hope that when I reject the vast majority of this jokers flags their points are reversed too. Please say it is so, otherwise I'd be able to go flag every item on SL for any sort of garbage I decide to and get psycho points, regardless of the validity of the issue.
Actually most of those issues seem legit that you described. Ultimately you are the primary decision maker as the curator, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a comment that you may not agree with. If a pic shows the wrong thing, it should be adjusted, etc.

James

Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
tusko
Classic

Cool contest! Great site!
Lots of fun to see how the various series are organized.

No TF comics though?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustx View Post
Actually most of those issues seem legit that you described. Ultimately you are the primary decision maker as the curator, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a comment that you may not agree with. If a pic shows the wrong thing, it should be adjusted, etc.

James
That would be very much the case as to my earlier point in the thread. I will say anything I flagged with legitimate but to me. Some curators may not agree and as Twintwister (sorry if I spelled it wrong) it's a matter of perception to the person flaggimg the issue. Also going back to the uploading rules I read earlier, I have seen a ton of pics uploaded that have a logo, company or site name and I would hope that the curators of those catologues would remove them. I only have one last major concern. If curators have the ultimate say, then who monitors them, specifically reffering to the rules of 20+ shots of any one figure just because it is a different angle or a slighter closer shot when the curator works within their own catologue? And all meant as a question and not an accusation or gripe.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
That would be very much the case as to my earlier point in the thread. I will say anything I flagged with legitimate but to me. Some curators may not agree and as Twintwister (sorry if I spelled it wrong) it's a matter of perception to the person flaggimg the issue. Also going back to the uploading rules I read earlier, I have seen a ton of pics uploaded that have a logo, company or site name and I would hope that the curators of those catologues would remove them. I only have one last major concern. If curators have the ultimate say, then who monitors them, specifically reffering to the rules of 20+ shots of any one figure just because it is a different angle or a slighter closer shot when the curator works within their own catologue? And all meant as a question and not an accusation or gripe.

A couple of clarity points all aimed at ensuring we're all heading in the right direction together:

1) Curators don't have the ultimate say. They have the primary say. SL will wade in on all issues to ensure the site is a great experience for everyone.

2) We watch the flags that come in and we monitor which percentage are rejected vs. fixed. When we detect issues we will engage with the curator to ensure the catalog is getting the best attention it can be. The easiest rule of thumb is that if a flag points out a factual inaccuracy, it is a valid flag. It may be a small or annoying point, but it is still valid and should not be rejected. The fix can be delayed or prioritized, but should ultimately be addressed. If a flag however is truly spurious or flat out wrong, it can be safely ignored. As a curator be prepared for both types...that's the nature of the beast. However, if you think someone has submitted dozens or more just to be a dick, let us know...we'll get on it. There's a big difference between that and choosing to enter a bunch of real flags to chase the contest.

3) The PlasticArmyToys pics are necessary in the short term because many were pre-shot and fill gaps in catalogs. If we have to choose between no photo and bad photo, we'll take bad. As curators, you can choose to keep these photos out of the primary gallery to manicure your work, and the user in question has been asked not to upload further photos of that type to be fair to the other vendors who won't be given the chance to do the same.

Cheers

James

Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Nightviper
Generation 1
Thumbs down Re: ShelfLife.net: COLLECTOR WARS: Win MP Soundwave/G1 Bruticus or $$$

For User: babbayagga

I don't see why you have a problem. I have a massive amount of collectables, in every line you could imagine, and in some cases my various collections are not complete, so yes! I do actually want the things I am listing as "wants" If you have any of the items that you see as my wants I would buy them from you in a heart beat. You will also see that I have almost the same amount of "haves' as I have have been collecting for over 20+ years, I wait as new catalouges get loaded so I can list more items I have. Just think, one of my biggest collections is Star Trek TNG items, and there isn't any catalogues yet, so my "haves" will also continue to grow. So when you see me adding to my "haves" in the future, you will probably have somethig to say about that too. And as far as the MP-10's I was only selling the two that I first bought at $200 becasue I had to go so far to get them. Once I obtained more I dropped my price down, and sold them all. There is usually a reason behind everything.

Last edited by Nightviper; 11-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Nightviper is offline   Reply With Quote