Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > Toys and Collectibles

Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #41
jacobot
drone 179
Re: BIONICLE fans, where you at?

BOGO on all cannisters next week at TRU
Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #42
jacobot
drone 179

Big box Knock-off

They've had small cannisters at the dollar store before but this one is funny... $5 at Party Packagers
Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #43
DECEPTICON_BRAWL
Autocepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobot View Post
Big box Knock-off

They've had small cannisters at the dollar store before but this one is funny... $5 at Party Packagers
look at the bottom right corner f the box. THEY EVEN STOLE LEGOS LOGO DESIGN!!!lol
Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #44
TFtoys
Animated

woo, which Dollar store has it ?
it is definately better than the one I got from happy meal this week. <^^">
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #45
SPLIT LIP
Robot Master

Found 5/6 Glatorian at Zellers today! Got three of them and wrote up these reviews that I'd thought I'd share here. I'll do them in three parts as the board has a limit to the amount of images in one post.

These are the Glatorian, named so because of their gladiator-type style of fighting to resolve issues and for sport. They also act as protectors of the Agori. First, lets start off with the one Glatorian who went too-far and was banished for taking a life: Malum!

Boy, this guy is COOL. His build was straitforward, but not quite like a lot of what we've seen before, mostly due to his hands and head. He looks very buff and heavily armoured. The new claws are great and would be awesome for MOCs.

Articulation is good but a little limited in the shoulders, but it's a sacrifice well made-up for by the pure awesomeness of the design and colour choice.

Which brings me to my next point: the colours. Notice how there's very little silver. This is great, as even though I like silver when it's a core part of the colour scheme (like on the Toa Mistika or Hydraxon for example) the past years of sets have silver mixed in for a very oblong deco. Here, the silver takes the back seat to the other colours, like red and yellow. Grey shows up, too, but it is more of "skeletal" colour used only for the inner limbs, hands, groin and neck, as well as the thornax launcer base, which brings us over to the next part:

I really like the Thornax launcher. The fact that the Thornax are fruit makes it quite funny, actually. It's very simple, it's a multi-part peice, which is good as the two halves can make great parts for MOCing. They're solid black plastic cneter with soft gold sides. They're springy and squishy funness and they shoot rather far, which is good for the game, which brings us to yet another point (I apologize if you feel like luggage at this time):

The life game. First off, it's actually pretty cool. The dials are nicely tucked onto the back in a very simple assembly. The game is fun and the wheels (being partially obstructed and mounted on the back) do not interfere with the colourscheme at all. It's simple, get hit, lose a life point. Five hits and you're dead, Jim. At the very least it's a new part and creative MOCers could find many uses for it's gear/wheel design. SPEAKING OF NEW PARTS (segue city):

The new helmets were a very clever idea. Malum's design is great with the flames. It has exposed eyes and exposed mouth holes, with an all-over ornamental design the compliments the rest of his design perfectly. The new head, helmet and it's mount also mean that the head has even greater motion then yyou're typical head and mask.
Next up, Skrall!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #46
SPLIT LIP
Robot Master

This next one is not an individual, per-se, but a "species". The Skrall are not Glatorian, but their own race. In there hierarchy only Skrall deemed above-average worthy by Tuma are allowed names. Obviously boyo here wasn't that fantastic, but seeing as all Skrall are supposed to be super strong and badass, it makes you wonder what the guys with names are like. But yeah, Skrall, everybody!

This guy is so nice I forgot he was a BIONICLE set. Seriously, I almost don't know where to start! First off, he's the most "mechanical" of the designs. He's also not as humanoid as others, being a hunchback.

He's also rather skinny, but he doesn't look weak, more like he's more agile-looking, despite the hunch. This is amplified by he sleek armour, with a long-streamlined helmet and knife-like bladed armour. His colours are just great. The only silver found is on the bit of exposed life-counter and his launcher. The rest is black and red. Not much else needs to be said.

He carries a large sword that is similar to his shoulder armour, being the same peices, and a bladed, buzz-saw shield with an intricate design that has the raised edges painted. Very nice that instead of going just painted one or just moulded one, they opted for both when it came to the shield pattern. Mounted on his sword is his Thornax launcher which is nice as it bulks-up his sword making his blade more of a giant bayonette. (sp?)

His life-counter is on his foot. This is a bizzare case in that it really should be a negative, as it is not that small and does make him asymmertric, but combined with the rest of his look it's really not that noticeable and doesn't really get in the way of any natural pose.

We also get to see his new hands! Yes, these simple little peices add so much to this figure I can't even find the words o express how much I've been waiting for them. They're very simple, symmetric and still look very BIONICLE-y. They allow a slightly greater range of motion that standard Y-hands of yesteryear, too.

And off course we shall touch onto the new peices, such as the head, shoulders/sword and aromour peices. The helmet is very nice with tons of moulded detail and a nice, intimidating face. The "crest" matches the design of his weapons perfectly and really ties this set together. The swords are great. they seem to be the "Lewa Nuva Swords" of 2009, and rightfully so, as tehy're very cool and can serve multiple purposes. The thigh/chest armour is very nice, looking very blunt yet sharp and dangerous.

My favourite is next. Tarix is in this particular establishment for living and storage of material objects.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #47
SPLIT LIP
Robot Master

Next is one of the 'good guys'. Tarix is a fair-fighter, and a very good one at that. Winner of many battles, he helps the helpless and punishes the wicked. And beats the living crap out of whoever he's paid to do so to. A true character of 2009, the Glatorian of the water tribe: Tarix!

I'll get this out of the way first: Tarix kicks your ass until it's nothing but soup and butt-fuzz. This is just a gorgeous set. He's very simple to build, with a few extra twists for fun. He has a very royal and ornate look to him that combined with his mechanical look typical of BIONICLE and his "breather" reminds me of an Atlantis warrior. His articulation is standard, helped out by the new head and hands design allowing for that extra little bit of motion.

I dare say his weapns are the best in BIONICLE. Two-toned blades that look dangerous and ancient yet decorative at the same time. The gold is just so nice and the light blue accents the blue and dark blue of the actual set. One blade holds his launcher mounted on a ball joint, which is good as it allows more freedom of movement.

His helmet is just too nice. Before getting him I was not totally into the helmet being dark blue, but in-hand it's really better they went that way. In fact, I think that the amount of dark blue compared to regular blue is very well applied. The gold on regular blue would've been too bright and garish, but on the dark blue it really accents his design. I LOVE how he has the silver horns on the gold shoulder pads.

Silver is actually made a part of the deco with the life-counter mount in silver. Not much to say other than the fact that it blends slightly better thanks to silver actually integrated into the main layout. Still, it's fun.

This guy is just great. I really wish I had gotten Strakk and Vorox, too, but I could not afford all five at this point. Gresh wasn't even there, as I guess since he's the young dude and the 'main character' (I put that in brackets as they're all the main characters, but he's like Eric from That 70's Show or Homer on The Simpsons in taht sense) kiddies want him first. Funny, I thought Malum would be the one everyone went for. (and to be fair, I did get the last one, so he could've been)
Old 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #48
MisBio12
Robot in Disguise

I got all six Glotarains Gersh from Mastermind in Markham Starkk Voroxo Skarll Malum Tarix all from Toysrus and how do u post Pictures
Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
SPLIT LIP
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisBio12 View Post
I got all six Glotarains Gersh from Mastermind in Markham Starkk Voroxo Skarll Malum Tarix all from Toysrus and how do u post Pictures
You need an image hosting site like Photobucket (free to use, of course) then you copy the img. line from the photo onto your post when typing it up and when you submit the picture will be there.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #50
Optimus_Prime
Teensformer

These 2009 sets look awesome, but I'm not getting them. I would rather get the 2001-08 sets instead, to have all the characters from the Matoran Universe story. If I won the lottery(I shouldn't count on it, of course) then maybe I could find room and money to spend on them. Older sets are first priority for me right now, even though a lot may not be as cool as the Glatorian.