Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Whether to Collect Classics or Not to, That is the question.

To start of, Im always fighting off completism. So it wouldn't be just Classics, but across CHUG & rts. Well probably not henkie, but thats a money thing. Additional, im into G1 esque figures only.

In the past ive limited the CHUG to just seekers. My collection is primarily Decepticon. So the idea of dedicating a shelf is a big commitment to one series, especially since they're autobots.

The only reason this is being considered is I bought a wave 3 case of Generations. Needed Thundercracker & to make Kup a Con with his Igear head lol, But i keep staring at the wheeljack. Everyone keeps talking him up. Plus, have you seen the Reprolables for him? They just make him shine.

Overal, im not worried about money as im cheap. Plus im patient, so its not like it needs to be completed by a set date.

As I can see it

Pros
Nice toys
Gives me an excuss to buy more Reprolables.

Cons
Even though All are deluxe a seeker is a tooth pick next to wheeljack, Its the head size that bothers me.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models
Re: Whether to Collect Classics or Not to, That is the question.

CHUG has been very popular with most of us, myself included, for the excellent figures and G1-esqueness of the characters and looks.

To start collecting CHUG now might be a little expensive, but personally I think they are worth it. I've been buying CHUG since day 1, but missed a figure here and there. Ironically the ones I missed (Astrotrain, Rodimus) went on to become quite expensive (Astro runs at least $25 loose, the first Roddy peaked at $100 before recolors came out). The Seekers can run a pretty penny but you said you already have them, so you're ahead on that front. You'd have some higher costs getting figures like Ratchet, Rodimus (unless you get the Battle In Space one like I did), RTS Windbreaker, RTS JAzz and Wreckgar, etc. Others are cheap (Galvatron, Octane/Tankor).

I'd venture to say that 90% of the boards here and at TFW would say "do it", but in the end you gotta be happy if you do. If you want to collect CHUG, go for it. They are worth it, objectively (good molds, good engineering, popular, etc), so if you subjectively like them and can afford the money and shelf space...
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

i think this is an amazing first world problem. collect them if you like them. simple as that.

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions

Those are the only line I collect. Some are going to be difficult and expensive to find like Ultra Magnus and Jetfire

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtime View Post
i think this is an amazing first world problem. collect them if you like them. simple as that.
If it were a matter collecting for pure enjoyment, id be in the poor house lol. I always get a kick at your comments bedtime, if i ever get a chance to meet you, i think it would be fun by all.

On a more serious note, I think I may just limit myself not just to G1 esque figures, but to those that maintain their g1 alt mode. Respectivly, are Characters from Series 1, 2 & perhaps 3 of the original toy line. That will limit the figures to a reasonable level.

As it maybe a little adventages to start to collect a whole line when there are so many 3rd party items to buy from now till Xmas.

On other words I needed to write it out, and get some encouragement to twist that rubber arm of mine.

Bonus though is I have atleast 6 Chug figures I could pull out of the trade pile.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

i used to primarily collect g1, but after classics, they took over, they're now one of my favorite lines, and they took over two big shelves for each faction

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Yea, you should collect them. No doubt they are exceptional. See my sales thread lol....

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMarknus View Post
Yea, you should collect them. No doubt they are exceptional. See my sales thread lol....
LoL, OK , question, do you have a want list? Are you open to trade?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

on a serious note though, classics are EXACTLY what i want in my transformers toys... i love me my G1 characters, but the actual G1 toys dont do much for me, as they're mostly just bricks that sometimes only vaguely look like what i'd seen on TV as a kid. the generations/classics stuff takes that and turns it on its head with amazing sculpts and posability.

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

If your looking at skipping the Henkei because of their cost I'd perhaps be leary about getting into the line at all.

Earlier deluxe Chug figures sell for $40-$80 or so now. If you look at loose ones they will come cheaper though.

Then consider figures like Punch/Counter Punch which is what maybe $150 right now? Then there is also the upcoming Bout & Muck club exclusives which will cost you around $70 each, so on.

It can get to a point where the Henkeis aren't much more than the regular figures.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote