Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Re: "I only want complete figures" and other hurdles of selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWillay View Post
First off well said....!! I have definitely run into this "complete" issue, although it has come down to missing instructions. While I do my best to keep instructions, sometimes from my original stuff from when I was a kid some 20-25 years ago I might not have them lol hardly a deal breaker but for some it can be. Also like your comment about the shipping/prices.
Thanks.
Yeah, IMO, "complete" just means it has all it's accessories, any additional paperwork is just gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor View Post
I'll provide some perspective from the buyer's side:
Sure piecing together the earlier G1s or more popular characters are easy (Optimus, Datsum bros, Dinobots, 86 movie cast, etc.) but as you proved in your own situation, things are a total pain when you get to the "Master"-era. Are you willing to spend this much on just Lube (hehe "Lube")?
Believe me, I'm well aware of how much Lube costs! And it galls me that I'll probably have to cave one day and pay that price just to complete the figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgianos View Post
In my experience trying to complete figures winds up being ridiculously expensive bc people charge ridiculous prices that I'm not willing to pay for.

Completing a figure piece by piece is far more expensive than buying my it complete. That eBay seller prime target wants 50 dollars shipped for hardheads main gun. GTFO. I bought hardhead with the gun for 11. No head of course

Sellers like primetarget are why I stopped piecing.
That's why I would usually wait for TFCon to come around. Then you can pay in Canadian with no shipping.
I've actually gotten some good deal from primetarget at TFCon. He's usually willing to bundle if you're buying multiple items. He also treats his "regulars" pretty well.
What I hate are the guys who are selling a Powermaster engine (for example), and try to tell you that it'll cost $30 to ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'd say anything released from Armada-present has a good chance of being or should be complete because tons of adult collectors bought them and they usually don't misplace stuff like kids, who at the time likely didn't know their toys would be collectable (for the series released before that, so G1-RID).
Agreed. I was offered an Cybertron Unicron in a trade once that had none of it's accessories, and quick eBay search told me that it would be pointless to try and find them.
If you're trying to sell a modern figure without it's accessories, you might as well donate it somewhere.

As a buyer I really hate the "make me an offer" listings. Mostly because everyone who does this has a number in mind, but, and this is just my opinion, the "make me an offer" guys are hoping that someone will offer then MORE than they actually want for whatever they're selling.
Just put a price on it!

As a seller I try to be negotiable. Firstly, all my stuff is pretty cheap, and I'm flexible on price if you want more than one thing, especially since Canada Post's prices are a fucking joke.
I just think that is the best way to sell.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

I don't even include the instructions in my definition of "complete." If it has all guns/accessories, it's complete. As some posters have noted, however, modern stuff is easier to find complete.

It helps that since BW most toys actually integrate or have the ability to store their accessories in both modes. ^^

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'd say anything released from Armada-present has a good chance of being or should be complete because tons of adult collectors bought them and they usually don't misplace stuff like kids, who at the time likely didn't know their toys would be collectable (for the series released before that, so G1-RID).
You haven't moved town or even across provinces, had you?

Anyhow, for me it depends on what I am after. I may demand a completed, mint figure if it is one of those high price and rare G1 stuff for example. But if it was something else (e.g. things from the first couple G1 seasons, stuffs from Beast War, etc.) I don't mind a well "weathered" loose one as long as it is not broken. I even don't mine reissue, encore, e-hobby, etc. versions - I am not picky.

And, I usually don't care if a spring loaded missile is missing as long as all the canons/guns /wings/etc. are accounted for. No box? No problem... I am running out of storage space anyway.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 06-29-2016 at 02:30 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #14
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
You haven't moved town or even across provinces, had you?
Twice, from Quebec to BC in 2004 and back to Quebec in 2006. And we moved several times between 2003-2011:

2003: appartment A (QC) to appartment B (QC)
2004: appartment B (QC) to appartment C (BC)
2006: appartment C (BC) to appartment D (BC)
2006: appartment D (BC) to house A (QC)
2007: house A (QC) to appartment E (QC)
2007: appartment E (QC) to house B (QC)
2011: house B (QC) to house A (QC)
2011: house A (QC) to house C (QC)

Last edited by Pascal; 06-29-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
TRUCKvsGUN

I like complete: in my mind, if its plastic, its part of the toy. Having said that, I'd be willing to consider buying incomplete, depending on the figure and its accessories, if there's no storage for them in vehicle mode and if a good discount is offered.

I personally consider instructions part of a toy's completeness in my own BST thread. I'll ask for them when I'm buying, but they aren't a deal-breaker for me. I keep my instructions in plastic sleeves in binders, so they're easy to organize and get nice and flat. I keep any cards that come with the toys in there, too.

I only keep packaging for MP & 3P products though, and I've noticed this seems to be a common practice with other boardies.

At TFcon last summer, I'd arranged to meet with a boardie who was to sell me a MLC Generations Skullgrin. When I met him, I found out one of Skullgrin's 3 C-clamp accessories was missing. The seller acted surprised, and offered to reduce the price to what we had already agreed on. It was one of my first experiences buying from a board-member and left a bad taste in my mouth, but fortunately most boardies are better than that.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
justprime
Animated

Prices are what they are just ask anyone that collects Japanese g1 and looks for those missing pieces ...
arm and a leg price but if you want original and complete suck it up...same can be said dealing ....respect and a sorry that's out of my budget....you never know when you may have to do a deal sometime in future with the same person and they won't forget a bad deal or low baller.what goes around comes around.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
I found out one of Skullgrin's 3 C-clamp accessories was missing. The seller acted surprised, and offered to reduce the price to what we had already agreed on. It was one of my first experiences buying from a board-member and left a bad taste in my mouth, but fortunately most boardies are better than that.
He offered a price reduction but you were still unhappy? You could have walked out of the deal.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #18
TRUCKvsGUN

He offered a reduction to what we had already agreed to pay, ie no reduction at all. He didn't know what he was selling (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here by not calling him dishonest) or for how much, so yes, I decided to walk away.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #19
Pascal
Banned

Ah ok, I misread. So he said something like "Ok, I was asking $10 for it, but since it's incomplete, I'll reduce the price to $10. How does that sound?"
Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
teruo313
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
He offered a reduction to what we had already agreed to pay, ie no reduction at all. He didn't know what he was selling (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here by not calling him dishonest) or for how much, so yes, I decided to walk away.

Or...maybe he lost that tiny little clamp part while packing up everything for TFcon and didn't notice given how small it was and then offered to provide a discount if you were still interested in said toy. Just saying.

But anyways, to the topic at hand. Complete vintage figures especially for harder to find Japanese ones are hard to come by sometimes, but finding an accessory and just that accessory alone can be equally as frustrating.

I've had success parting a figure together and then selling off the extras, while other times it ended up costing more.
teruo313 is offline   Reply With Quote