Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
justprime
Animated
Re: Toy Prices: Canada Vs. USA

Not worried over the price as much as the lack of availability we always seem to get the short end when it comes to releases (not enough)or even getting the end of line product (not at all).
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I used to think the same way, until my last trip to the states. It seems like Canada's pricing has stayed the same and the use prices have just gone up.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Cpl. Chrissandwich
Robot Master

This is what I think and go by. Now Im not sure about min wage in all the states, but I have a few friends that have told it they 6-8 dollars an hour in various states. So.

Canadians make more things cost more.
Americans make less and things cost less.

But Thats based an average...That clearly wont work you if go by province and state. Conisdering Ontario min is 10.25, and BC is 8.75.

Again dont know most of the states min wage so, anyway, in my mind, the prices difference dont really bother me...Again this is only based on min wage.

Last edited by Cpl. Chrissandwich; 05-14-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Cpl. Chrissandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
TwinTwistR
OP's windshield scrubber

It's basically the same as with cars. People in Canada are so used to being shafted that we no longer know the difference. The manufacturer knows it and is laughing all the way to the bank. That is why a car maker can sell a car manufactured in Ontario to someone in Ontario for $5,000 (or greater) more than someone in California will pay for the same car from the same plant in Ontario.

All manufacturers and retailers know Canadians are far to polite to actually do anything but gripe and complain on a forum, so they will continue to gouge us.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Absurdity_Prime
Banned

Not true for myself and a few friends! We only buy from friends in the USA in bulk and that way we are still saving 20% even with shipping.

I don’t complain about things I can change and if Canadian retailer’s wont change the prices I wont shop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTwistR View Post
It's basically the same as with cars. People in Canada are so used to being shafted that we no longer know the difference. The manufacturer knows it and is laughing all the way to the bank. That is why a car maker can sell a car manufactured in Ontario to someone in Ontario for $5,000 (or greater) more than someone in California will pay for the same car from the same plant in Ontario.

All manufacturers and retailers know Canadians are far to polite to actually do anything but gripe and complain on a forum, so they will continue to gouge us.
Absurdity_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
Larkhainan
Robot in Disguise

ITT: Several posters attempt to rationalize obvious economic screwing to make themselves feel better about being screwed. Hard not to, after taking it for years.

If your dollar is worth more on the world market and you are paying the same as when it was worth less, you are actually paying more. The inverse is true as well.

A difference between prices based on somewhat higher costs does not successfully explain away massive deltas in price either.
Larkhainan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
pandaprime
aficionado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy99 View Post
We have this debate in the media for books, why not for toys?
Anyone else notice the price difference between Canada and USA?
Yes, yes I think we all do notice. With the quantity of pricing information available nowadays thanks to the internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy99 View Post
Does anyone think the arguments of difference in Canadian dollar and/or 'we buy our stock months/years prior so we have to price our inventory accordingly' applies to toys?
very weak arguments I think with the current information available but I guess we have to consider it an argument nonetheless. Apparently businesses that sell toys in Canada are just "different enough" to get away with it because people still buy. If enough people stopped buying or bought in the USA then maybe Canadian business would be more competitive price-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhainan View Post
If your dollar is worth more on the world market and you are paying the same as when it was worth less, you are actually paying more. The inverse is true as well.

A difference between prices based on somewhat higher costs does not successfully explain away massive deltas in price either.
Is the Canadian dollar really worth more on the world market or just in relation to the US dollar? I should watch the financial news more I guess.

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs

Last edited by pandaprime; 05-14-2011 at 07:42 PM.
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

Just a general comment though on pricing - pretty sure the MSRP in the US is higher than 12.99. The retailers just sell below it is all.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Might have to start ordering bigger orders from the States. If shipping is decent, could save some dough.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaprime View Post
Is the Canadian dollar really worth more on the world market or just in relation to the US dollar? I should watch the financial news more I guess.
It depends on which currency we compare against. Against the Euro, British Pound and American Dollar we are doing well. Against the Japanese Yen not so much.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exc...ed-currencies/

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote