Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
rid
Beast Machine
What's the appeal in the Activators?

Hey guys,

I see these activators on the web, I see them in stores and see video reviews and all. Yet, I don't see the appeal. I mean, it's a Transformers toy that you don't really need to transform. It does so at the press of a button. (I know, they don't really transform 100%, I'm just simplifying things to make a point).

I like Transformers toys and think they are fun because I get to transform them. I get to pull and click and snap and twist to change from one mode to the other. To me, if I can't transform a Transformers toy, it's like buying a PS3 games where you insert the disc into the console and the game plays itself out until you reach the end. I mean, where's the fun in it all?

I see one part of the appeal can be that it bring us one steps closer to having a real life transformer. But it's no longer a toy. And it's not complex enough to make it a "real life" transformer. It's not complex enough for me to appreciate its innovation.

What are your thoughts?

My Wants:

Classics Game Of Deception (set preferred but individuals are OK too)
Most G1 Head/Power/Target-Masters
G1 RoadBuster, Scorponok, Shockwave
Any Optimus Prime (I have tons already but am always looking for more Primes)

Parts Needed: Triggerhappy's Targetmaster gun: Blowpipe (with gun attachment)
rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: What's the appeal in the Activators?

You still have to transform them. To finish the robot mode and to completely transform them back to vehicle mode. They're cool because they take the best of the mainline (style), FABs (semi-auto-transform) and Legends/Scouts (size), with articulation. Bumblebee and Starscream rock hard.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I will say they fell just outside the line of "buy them for myself" as I already have Voyagers of SS and Bulky and will pickup Deluxe BB this weekend at the 2-for-1 TRU sale.

BUT, they were perfect buys for my kids (ages 6 and 8) who love the cartoon show. Much cheaper, and easier to TF and play with. So I bought them SS and BB and they love them.

And now that these 2 are floating around my house, I've been playing with these 2 Activators and I am super impressed with SS and very impressed with BB - these are great little TFs, even with the super-fast transformation.

Would I buy future Activators for me? No - I prefer the bigger, more complex TF toys.

Will I buy future ones for my kids? You bet!

For other TF collectors, it may be that they buy them for thier desk at work, or that they are completionists or near-completionists.
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Them I get, quick little transformations in mini-form can be fun...I don't get the bumper battlers...at least the animated ones will have lights and sounds, but still...they just seem boring

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Batman
The Dark Knight

Starscream and Bumblebee are fun!!! I like having a few little TFs kicking around the house that I can pick up anytime and fiddle with. I think I actually like the Activator Bumblebee better than the deluxe version.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
JSon
Robo Warrior

They defiantly don't take the place of the main line, those are the one made for the transforming and articulation. The activators are kinda little fun side lines. I like my Bumblebee and think of him more like a robot hero toy (they don't transformer either!), looks good in display off the main line. I wouldn't display him with my main line, he looks better sitting on the edge of my deck. I guess activators aren't for everyone. I wasn't fond of the idea until I got mine, how I can't stop playing with 'em.
JSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
I don't get the bumper battlers...at least the animated ones will have lights and sounds, but still...they just seem boring
Tell that to my 3-year-old nephew... He already digs Cyber Slammers and they don't even have electronics...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

Press a button and it transforms. How is that not awesome?

I need to get the Starscream to go with the Bumblebee - the Starscream has some more show-accurate touches like the null-ray cannons (plus there's that Thundercracker repaint rumor)
Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I wasn't going to get them until I saw them...

Didn't realize how small they were, but they look kinda neat so I picked up Bulkhead.

They also remind me of the first wave of Beast Wars as they had the same transforming gimmick.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
ANDROID PRIME
Robot in Disguise

also think from a kids point of few. fast transformation = no 20 min breaks while transform toys. thats why when I was a kid I loved beastwars rattrap
ANDROID PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote