Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #17
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions
Re: Too many TF toy lines? Which do you collect?

> Which line(s) do you collect? and why that/those over the other lines?
I'm a G1er by age, so I collect original NA G1 (I include G1 reissues in that - I just care to have one version of a character/mold, I don't look for variations). I also still have my NA Beast Wars collection, and TF Animated collection.

For current toy-lines with new stuff coming out, I collect CHUG/Generations and official Masterpiece.

I've been tempted by the cool toys of Studio Series (like Devastator) but I've stayed out of it since I don't really like the movies and the expense of Generations and MP is already straining things.

I usually buy every CHUG release and have in the last two years been selling older molds of characters with newer molds since they've been consistently better, but this year may be the first year I look at it more carefully. I'm not sure if I should even pick up Arcee, as I'm pretty happy with the headmaster Arcee (since I have fond memories of Rebirth, even if T30 Arcee is better).

I stopped buying 3P MPs due to cost and too many options. I basically checked out of 3P after MP Shockwave and MP Megatron 2.0. I had the 3P molds that seemed "perfect" at the time, but they ultimately were nowhere near as accurate or fun to transform as a TT release, so it was a good time to save some money and stop. There are so many nice 3P sometime I regret it, but I need to draw a line.

> Huge collection or carefully curated selection?
Not as big as it used to be. My G1, BW and Animated collections are basically complete, but CHUG/Generations is now actively being trimmed to only one version of each character and if a better version comes out, I sell the old one. I used to keep every version, but it's nuts for space and fun - I still play with my CHUG toys with my kids! Ever since CW, CHUG toys have been very playable with children.

Actually I like the Prime Wars trilogy so much, I still keep all my headmaster, prime master and combiner figures even though there may be superior versions (I'm looking at the multiple Optimus Primes I still have because of that, even if they are in storage). That may change soon.

I have also been thinking of trimming my BW collection to show-only characters, not because I dislike the toys, but for space reasons. With Scorponok and Sky Lynx coming out this year, I'm not sure if I have space to display them in my display shelves without selling stuff to make room.

> If you collect multiple lines does it ever get overwhelming?
The price jump for Seige really made collecting overwhelming. I'm trying to get stuff on sale more, particularly Wave 1, which is always overstocked.

Collecting CHUG and MP can be a little overwhelming when there are too many MP releases and prices have jumped like crazy. As has been the stress of picking the best 3P MP release when I looked at those. MP's have been a bit sparse recently, to my relief.

> Have you ever stopped collecting a line as a result?
I stopped collecting 3P MP due to being overwhelmed. I also stopped collecting RID 2.0 after starting collecting them (continuing from TF Prime) because the mold quality was too random to know which version of a character to get, and so many characters skipped, plus US vs Japan releases.

> Do you feel the market is over-saturated with all these options?
I think having three lines right now (SS, Cyberverse/current kid-oriented show, Generations) is surprising for someone who was used to one line at a time on the shelves until the Bayverse movies. Although I guess I'm ignoring when they had the Universe line of repaints on based on TFCC stuff since I never bought any of them.

I'm not sure if it's oversaturated since each one has a very different goal and audience to me. I'm definitely surprised there is support from the buying public for three mainstream lines at once.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.