Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #12
ohnaji
Beasty
Re: All with Animated, what's your take?

Got Prowl, Prime and BB. I'm most impressed with Prime, in terms of engineering and the overall look. I currently have him in a Conanesque action pose where both of his hands are holding the axe weapon. Every time I look at it I can hear Basil Poledouris's iconic soundtrack. The only issue I have with this figure is the scale, but that really is such a minor point. The voyager version can not come any sooner.
Prowl has tremendous articulation. In my opinion he's about 90% show accurate. Once again scale is somewhat an issue, because it's proportions aren't consistent with at least BB. It's a taller figure than BB, but when the heads are compared, Prowl definitely looks out of place. I wish we got a wider range of movement from it's waist joint, and the ball joint for the toes can't be manipulated too much to stabilize balance very well. Usually, when I put this figure in an action pose, it's resting on its inner soles. I find this figure to be easily toppled because of this. The automorph shuriken are fun, but I wish there was a better way to have Prowl wield them and of course the traffic light weapon accessory is as lame you'd imagine it to be. It's almost as if Hasbro decided to include it to meet some plastic quotient in order to elevate this figure from basic to deluxe class. I had to exchange my first Prowl purchase because of defects. The chest wouldn't snap into the tab in robot mode and the bike handles didn't fold in properly. Save those receipts. Fun toy nonetheless.
Prime is most impressive but BB is my favourite. I feel it most reflects the artistic intent of the series more so than any other figure released so far. The engineering is completely audacious, by over complicating a seemingly simple transformation. It's not difficult to transform, just really 'creative'. As resourceful the construction of this figure is, I do have gripes. I wish ball joints were used for the elbows, or at least a swivel joint was used. The arms don't have much dynamic possibilities beyond forming the main stinger weapon. The stingers should have been hidden better when pushed into the forearm. Like the Ultimate BB last year, this figure has monstrous amounts of plastic on the lower feet, It doesn't limit articulation for most poses, but it looks bad. The hip joints don't swivel horizontally limiting range of movement. The head is somewhat puzzling, since it tilts whenever it turns left or right. This just looks weird. Regardless, BB is still really fun to have, and really a must have for animated collectors. The same can be said for Prime and Prowl.
Fantastic start to this Toyline. I'm not a big fan of the actual animation designs, but these toys are incredible.
I'm still on the fence on whether or not Lockdown is worth a purchase. From what I've seen it looks pretty cool, or at least the alt mode does. Love to hear more about it.
ohnaji is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.