Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Transformers and the TMNT Effect..

Quite frankly I think Hasbro is taking this movie popularity thing a little too far. Back in the Beast Era they had repaints, repaints have always existed, however they have always existed in moderation.

Beast Wars:
Dinobot/Grimlock
Cheetor/Tigatron
Tarantulas/Black Arachnia
Waspinator/Buzzsaw
Terrorsaur/Lazorbeak

That's about five molds from the first assortment repainted. We also had a few others, but they were scattered throughout at least four to six years of Beast Wars toys.

Now, practically every single mold in the original Movie line has been painted not once, but twice in the span of only three years.

I'm all for making quality repaints with new characters, but why in the world do you need to repaint every single mold? I mean with the popularity the movie line has shown we could have another Beast Wars on our hands, meaning instead of only two and a half years of releases before the next line comes out we get a continuous possibly six year span of Transformers Movieverse toys.

True there will be new gimmicks and new ideas that seperate each film's toyline from one another, but in general these are all part of the same series ala Beast Wars. Not filler lines like RID or Classics, or even short run productions like The Unicron Trilogy or Animated.

So why in heavens name do they see fit to repaint every single mold in existence under the sun?

At least if they're going to make this N.E.S.T two pack they could have maybe given us a different character than Soundwave and Bumblebee, I don't mean new molds, but if they're so fired up for repaint mania why not make Soundwave, Soundblaster or somebody else. As for Bumblebee, we could have gotten an RotF version of Cliffjumper out of him for the two pack.

Repaints used to mean brand new characters, the new character to new paint scheme for the same old character ratio in the movie line is appalling.

Bumblebee
Premium Bumblebee
All-Spark Bumblebee
Stealth Bumblebee
Movie Scenes Bumblebee
Three-Pack Bumblebee
Two-Pack Bumblebee
Cliffjumper

See what I mean.

It's utterly insane and what's worse, they continue to follow this trend, have they learned nothing from Mattel's recent He-Man line?
Kids don't want a million Bumblebees/He-Mans they want a variety of different characters. And true Hasbro is one step ahead of Mattel by not short packing any of the newer chracters in favor for just one more Bumblebee, but come on, at least space them out a little more if they're going to insist on this utterly insane practice.

I mean, don't just wait three months and then push out another Bumblebee, wait six months, or nine if necessary. Would that be so hard?

Also I am deeply dissapointed that so far the Autobot Voyager ratio to Decepticon Voyager ratio as far as new molds is concerned is clearly lacking. They need to invest a little more in another Voyager class Autobot brand new mold that could serve double as two new characters with different paint schemes. A Movie Trailbreaker and Hound perhaps or something.

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.