Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #43
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Extra Time - Hasbro Unicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Rampant consumerism is damaging. Beyond.

Read a great bit the other day about how capitalism and consumerism create and teach a society that spends life saving up and trying to figure out how to acquire things. We end up basing our worth on what we can buy... And connect to things. We need to connect to people.

It's not that I object to a six hundred dollar toy. Pick your poison. If you can afford something, hey, go for it.

It's the method of Hasbro in getting there and seeing the very real, worrying responses of people to the toy. The needs to get it. The anxiety over maybe not. The connection to the thing, especially the "rallying" and "support." Connected to and finding value in the "cause"..it's the need to have the new iPhone first, or always have a new car. No matter how much money people make, everybody seems to be broke because they spend and NEED to spend. It's what our whole consumerist society has shaped.

I live in Alberta. And my compassion to hard working folks who have been out of work because oil prices crashed five years ago. But I swear to Christ people in this province spend beyond their means no matter how much they make. It's not isolated to Alberta, of course not. But it's also disturbing and depressing to see how many folks make or made piles of money and they're as broke ass as I am.

Shrug. Agree to disagree. I hope if you are a person who finds their happiness and identity is based in things, you may reflect on that at some point. Many fans demonstrate signs of addiction or unhealthy compulsion in their toy hobbies. We can enjoy things. Things can be great! But are we defined by those things?

Tldr unicron is gross.
So very poignant and insightful. There is a thin line between happy collector and literal plastic addict.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.