Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Which Devastator upgrade do you recommend?

I actually just got the X-Transbot silver version upgrade in the mail yesterday. I did a lot of research in deciding between the Junkion blacksmith and the X-Transbot one. Here's a few bits and pieces for anybody who cares.

The build quality on the X-Transbot one is good. They fixed the finger problem so they don't drop off when you move them. But I'd still recommend a cautious touch when moving them around. It still doesn't hold the gun very tightly. It'll hold the gun well enough for display but shake it enough, the gun hits the floor. I just took one of those clear rubber bands from the deluxe toys and took care of the trouble.

The head clip still doesn't push all the way in, but to me that actually might be better for balance. It makes the chest sit forward more and makes it less back heavy. But that doesn't mean it's not back heavy.

The hips have a great range of motion with ratchets and a thigh swivels. One thing though the ratchets aren't that strong so the figure won't hold wide stances on smooth surfaces. But I just slipped a piece of paper under and it's fine. The cod piece does restrict motion a bit but unless the pose needs the thighs to be 90 degrees to the ground I doubt it'll matter much.

Comparing a few things.

Head sculpts: Transbot's head is more 3-D. The JB heads are more cartoon accurate but are a bit flat. Also the head bracket on Transbot adds a torso twist and the JB one doesn't

Forearms: Transbots's left arm is a bit restricted in it's elbow bend, while JB's forearms don't appear to have this problem. From what I've seen JB's fore arms are better designed.

Hands: Like I said above, Transbot's fingers don't hold the gun very tightly, but they are individually articulated. JB's has a peg for their gun but the fingers aren't individually articulated.

Last thing, I had to make heel spurs for Devy in order to take advantage of all the new articulation. From what I've seen every single kit turns the figure into a back heavy nightmare.

Here are a few pics. Just ignore the one of these things is not like the other moment you may have when you see the pics.

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.