Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/index.php)
-   Transformers General Discussion (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi, New to collecting with my son and need some help (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=84146)

Laz 11-02-2021 12:50 AM

Hi, New to collecting with my son and need some help

10 Attachment(s)
Hi all, So my son and I are collecting the new kingdom beast figures and combiners, we picked up these figures in a collection of sealed stuff off facebook and he really isn't into these types of figures so was wondering if they're worth anything or if we should hold onto them for awhile.

the japanese megatron has tape on the back of the cardboard and a slight crease where the hook is

the rest are fairly like new

cerhit 11-02-2021 01:49 AM

Re: Hi, New to collecting with my son and need some help

The 1st edition Vehicon would be your best figure. It was super hard to find back in the day.
The United Megatron may not be the greatest figure but still a good find since United is a line from Takara in Japan.
The Arachnid is a terrible figure. The Legion figure was a better toy than the Deluxe.

If any of these to hold on to would be the Vehicon. Those are army builders and I am still trying to get Multiples of the AOE Vehicon and more 1st editions for my shelf.

Laz 11-02-2021 02:03 AM

awesome, thank you for the help.

honestly he doesn't care much for cars except the combiner figures and the rest aren't really his thing either so was looking to see about maybe trading towards pieces he's missing or wants.

Sun Swipe Prime 11-02-2021 02:19 AM

Sure, they're worth something, but are any worth an exorbitant amount beyond their retail price, not really. Right now that Vehicon is selling for $35US on eBay, which is just over double what it's retail price was.

eBay can be a good way to judge what the market is like for an item, especially when you search what an item has sold for. Anyone can ask the moon for something. It's all about who is willing to buy that matters.

In general, modern transformers don't tend to jump in value all that much, at least not in the holy cow sort of way. That Vehicon is fairly typical of what the jump is like, and that toy is 10 years old. This is because with modern toys, there are lots made, and there are lots of collectors that keep them packaged and/or in pristine condition. So it's a supply and demand sort of thing.

In addition, a transformer can easily loose it's desirability because a newer, better version of the character comes out. There are plenty of instances of a figure being highly sought after one day becoming nothing special in short order.

In general, on the secondary market, IMHO, you're doing well if you can get back what you paid for an item. Of course, there are exceptions, but those are far and few.

Any ways, I hope this helps.

canprime 11-02-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime (Post 850368)
Sure, they're worth something, but are any worth an exorbitant amount beyond their retail price, not really. Right now that Vehicon is selling for $35US on eBay, which is just over double what it's retail price was.

eBay can be a good way to judge what the market is like for an item, especially when you search what an item has sold for. Anyone can ask the moon for something. It's all about who is willing to buy that matters.

In general, modern transformers don't tend to jump in value all that much, at least not in the holy cow sort of way. That Vehicon is fairly typical of what the jump is like, and that toy is 10 years old. This is because with modern toys, there are lots made, and there are lots of collectors that keep them packaged and/or in pristine condition. So it's a supply and demand sort of thing.

In addition, a transformer can easily loose it's desirability because a newer, better version of the character comes out. There are plenty of instances of a figure being highly sought after one day becoming nothing special in short order.

In general, on the secondary market, IMHO, you're doing well if you can get back what you paid for an item. Of course, there are exceptions, but those are far and few.

Any ways, I hope this helps.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!

All transformers are worth triple their retail price 30 seconds after they are purchased. You will be able to buy a house, put your kids through university and retire with $5 million+ just by holding modern transformers and selling on the secondary market. :rofl:

Sun Swipe Prime has it down perfectly. I agree with everything he posted.

Also it is that time of year that if you are feeling generous you can always donate the unopened ones you don't want to a Christmas toy drive.

imfallenangel 11-02-2021 10:55 AM

Take the time to check an average price for each of these unopened figures off eBay but make sure that you look at the "sold for" listing and not the being sold pricing as some people do go a bit crazy with scalping prices.

Note that this should give you a basis for an estimate for an average worth, but still, consider being open-minded to what a reasonable offer would be in proportion to what you paid.

To assist you, for example, I checked the Vehicon, sealed first edition and it's been sold for around 35 to 40$, but the shipping is where the difficulty is, where most shipping is around 25$, so you can take that in consideration should you sell it locally or have to indicate the shipping as buyer's cost.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=transform ers+prime+vehicon+first+edition&_sacat=0&LH_TitleD esc=0&rt=nc&_odkw=transformers+prime+vehicon&_osac at=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

I also did Airachnid as I do not hate the figure like many do, and it's actually ironic as I'm estimating an average of 35-40$, so about the same as the Vehicon.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=transform ers+prime+airachnid&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw= transformers+prime+airachnid+first+edition&_osacat =0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

So keep checking the others and that should give you an idea... but again... being fair with the community can open doors but be aware that some might simply low ball you as they will aim to resell at higher price. But as long as you get an amount that you're happy with, that's what matters.

Laz 11-02-2021 02:35 PM

Thank you, it's highly appreciated. I myself come from TCGs so we have tcgplayer as a platform to check markets and don't use ebay all that often so it was a bit of an information overload lol.

personally I would love to help and build up trust in the community as it goes a long way as you mentioned.

these were in a huge lot with other toys that the kids went through and took the ones they wanted like a predaking and insecticons, stuff with insect or animal transformations as well as some combiner stuff.

Laz 11-02-2021 02:37 PM

Thank you, we did donate a handful of deluxe class and the smaller ones to our salvation army and I gave my nephew a wheeljack and some other stuff he wanted.

Laz 11-02-2021 02:38 PM

Highly appreciate it and yes it helps a ton, Thank you kindly!

Marcotron 11-02-2021 04:18 PM

The little Prime and little Megatron are probably worth about 10-15 bucks each.
That little Megatron is quite a neat little transformer, and the last time Megatron was officially a gun in any toy other than Masterpiece.